PGA Tour Equity Fund totals

1,436 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by WhoopN06
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40017153/report-tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-big-pga-tour-payouts

The thank you for not going to LIV pay days are out. Reported $750M equity pool being doled out to the top 36 players based on some formula + some retired guys. Here are some of the totals in the article

Tiger = $100M
Rory = $50M
Justin Thomas = $30M
Jordan Spieth = $30M
$75M to notable retired players

Quote:

To receive the money, players would have to continue to remain loyal to the PGA Tour, with the funds vesting over the next eight years, according to The Telegraph. And going forward, the PGA Tour plans to award $100 million per year to the players.

Yesterday
AG
I'm so confused. Didn't the PGA tour hook up with the Saudi's?
Bunk Moreland
Not yet. This comes from that other group that came together to throw a ton of money at them.

But I, too, am confused. What's their investment getting them? The PGAT side of all this has been incredibly confusing.
safety guy
AG
And the pga guys are mad at the LIV guys?? The money and opportunities that the LIV guy have provided indirectly to the pga guys is enormous.
RogerFurlong
Bunk Moreland said:

Not yet. This comes from that other group that came together to throw a ton of money at them.

But I, too, am confused. What's their investment getting them? The PGAT side of all this has been incredibly confusing.
PGA players are going to have to do a lot more events outside of golf for the sponsors. Fan meet and greets, dinners with clients, promotional stuff I would assume. I don't see the roi on it though.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I don't get paying retired players.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I would guess that generously covers long term appearance fees to serve as the face of the PGA.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
KaneIsAble
AG
How is Scheffler not listed?
Big Walt Law Firm
AG
Might be because he has less career wins than all the other players listed and they're putting a high priority on previous accomplishments for this round.
KaneIsAble
AG
Man that's splitting hairs. JT had 15 and Speith with 13 and I get it with Tiger too and I'm assuming the reasons have been shared.
The Milkman
AG
safety guy said:

And the pga guys are mad at the LIV guys?? The money and opportunities that the LIV guy have provided indirectly to the pga guys is enormous.

I don't think any of the top guys are mad. It's the mules
JCA1
AG
Not sure if it's been publicly disclosed, but there's a multi-year formula based on a bunch of stuff that they used to calculate the payouts. But basically it's compensating the guys who were the big names over the last decade or so. If that was your prime, your timing was great just like it was great to be a 40-something household name when LIV started.
Stymied
AG
On one hand, I don't have a huge problem with this. It's business.

On the other hand, this smacks of a huge amount of hypocrisy from many of the anti-LIV crowd, especially the PGA tour "loyalists" like Rory, Tiger, etc. We've dealt with 12-24+ months of complaining about sports washing or selling out for the money. There was also a huge narrative that everyone that went to LIV was over the hill and no longer competitive in majors. Now we are going to throw a bunch of money at top PGA tour players who largely fit the mold of "no longer competitive" or "over the hill".

And people wonder why viewership is down. Perhaps everyone is tired of all of the BS. Both sides are in it for a money grab and neither really cares about the base consumer, viewing public, or the game of golf in general. It's all just a big money game that they duping the lemmings into paying attention to.
AustinCountyAg
to me this will only help LIV.....all the young studs who are lapping JT and Spieth right now are going to see this and think it's BS. Do they hang around the PGAT and hope that they will get a similar payday 10 years from now, or do they jump ship to LIV now with guaranteed money immediately? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yesterday
AG
The PGA has handled all of this terribly.
Big Walt Law Firm
AG
They've committed to distribute 100 million per year going forward, so there's plenty of upside for the upcoming guys. The tour was never going to match the guaranteed money LIV is handing out, but they had to come up with something to reward the guys.
AustinCountyAg
Big Walt Law Firm said:

They've committed to distribute 100 million per year going forward, so there's plenty of upside for the upcoming guys. The tour was never going to match the guaranteed money LIV is handing out, but they had to come up with something to reward the guys.
to me "going forward" leaves it pretty open ended to when it starts. Also, 100 million isn't going to be that much for everyone else after you pay the top 5 that year. I would assume they will pay the top handful of guys the majority of that money to keep them happy. Again like I said the Ludvig Agber's of the tour are the ones who are getting the shaft, if I'm understanding all this correctly.

Hot take here: seems like the perfect time for Tony Finau to go to LIV.
Bunk Moreland
I would sure hope they change up their formula because the way they currently do it, Tiger & Rory will take a lion's share, Scottie now too but it'd be difficult to break into that money for most of the lower top tier guys.

Also, is this ongoing money going to replace the social media/influencer bonuses they began giving out a few years ago or be in addition to?

Seems like there's just so much back channel communication about lining pockets for the tip top guys in so many oddball ways when there could be a much clearer, smoother and more equitable way to handle it going forward. I know they obviously risk more defections from guys to LIV, but they could also fix that by not suspending players and getting a deal/partnership done on that front too. I just don't see LIV (or whtaever it morphs into) going anywhere.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Is 50 mil enough for Rory to be cool with Jay again?
jja79
AG
What happens when golf has no more fans? I feel that's where this is headed. The group of guys I play with always put it on TV after the round and most had it on while we were playing. Now no one even talks about professional golf.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Curious why money is a problem for fans with golf when a dude just signed a $700M contract to swing a bat and throw a ball. That's just the way it is in professional sports.
WhoopN06
jja79 said:

What happens when golf has no more fans? I feel that's where this is headed. The group of guys I play with always put it on TV after the round and most had it on while we were playing. Now no one even talks about professional golf.

They should be spending this money improving the TV product. It's a dying TV sport, they just haven't realized it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.