Bryson DeChambeau with a Walmart Starter Set Of Clubs?
1,909 Views | 17 Replies
agracer
2:03p, 4/30/24

Question, early on he points out how he's hitting the toe b/c of how the shaft is bending. How does the shaft bend like that on a golf swing. Seems like it would be parallel to the swing path, not 90-de out?
Kansas Kid
2:17p, 4/30/24
Don't forget to add it was a starter junior set of clubs.
agracer
2:27p, 4/30/24
In reply to Kansas Kid
Kansas Kid said:

Don't forget to add it was a starter junior set of clubs.
yeah, I didn't want to spoil it.
class of 03
4:48p, 4/30/24
What course?
gestapoparrot
5:24p, 4/30/24
The answer to the shaft question is super esoteric and doesn't matter at all except to golf nerds, club fitters and scientists.

Toe up and toe down shaft flex is a consequence of the offset center of mass of the club, natural rebound of the shaft, abd the difference in acceleration and velocity between the hands and the club head at impact. The shaft traces a straight line that does not end up at the center of mass, which is found somewhere towards the center of the club head. A force offset from the center of mass will create a moment arm that creates the flex.

At contact with the ball the shaft is flexed both toe down AND forward (think the opposite of what it looks like with lag, it's called lead). At the top of the backswing it is opposite with the shaft in lag and toe up. With his swing speed the forces off of the moment arm cause serious bending of the shaft, get a guy with a high swing speed to hit a senior or ladies flex iron and you can see he'll hit it off the toe a ton.

If you're ready to dive down and get super nerdy about golf shafts, toe up/down, lead/lag, and twisting (clockwise and counterclockwise) around the long axis all occur together at the same time in the same point in the swing in different parts of the shaft.

There are 5 books published from legit scientists about golf (they all did individual research but they have been compiled into books) that are creatively titled "Science and Golf I" through "Science and golf V" which is probably the best collection of actual golf physics you can find, a successor publication "Routledge International Handbook of Golf and Science" that is also incredible but builds upon a lot of the previous details.

www.golfsciencejournal.org has most of the published articles available.

The swing engineer has a good breakdown for non-physics nerds as well https://www.theswingengineer.com/faq8.html

I just proof read all that and realize why I have no life outside the golf course.

1208HawkTree
9:50p, 4/30/24
Ironic that the clubs are "PGA TOUR" brand.
Hanrahan
10:04p, 4/30/24
he still hit them pretty damn well... impressive, especially for him with his normally super fast swing. must have felt like he was hitting pitch shots on everything.
'03ag
7:26a, 5/1/24
He also has a a video where Siri randomly selects his clubs for every shot including putts.

I think he was -2 over 6 holes
AustinCountyAg
7:59a, 5/1/24
It's cool LIV is allowing the guys free rein to post content online like this. Always fun to see these pro's do random stuff like this. He's good some good content going on youtube these days.
Unemployed
8:30a, 5/1/24
In reply to gestapoparrot
gestapoparrot said:

The answer to the shaft question is super esoteric and doesn't matter at all except to golf nerds, club fitters and scientists.

Toe up and toe down shaft flex is a consequence of the offset center of mass of the club, natural rebound of the shaft, abd the difference in acceleration and velocity between the hands and the club head at impact. The shaft traces a straight line that does not end up at the center of mass, which is found somewhere towards the center of the club head. A force offset from the center of mass will create a moment arm that creates the flex.

At contact with the ball the shaft is flexed both toe down AND forward (think the opposite of what it looks like with lag, it's called lead). At the top of the backswing it is opposite with the shaft in lag and toe up. With his swing speed the forces off of the moment arm cause serious bending of the shaft, get a guy with a high swing speed to hit a senior or ladies flex iron and you can see he'll hit it off the toe a ton.

If you're ready to dive down and get super nerdy about golf shafts, toe up/down, lead/lag, and twisting (clockwise and counterclockwise) around the long axis all occur together at the same time in the same point in the swing in different parts of the shaft.

There are 5 books published from legit scientists about golf (they all did individual research but they have been compiled into books) that are creatively titled "Science and Golf I" through "Science and golf V" which is probably the best collection of actual golf physics you can find, a successor publication "Routledge International Handbook of Golf and Science" that is also incredible but builds upon a lot of the previous details.

The swing engineer has a good breakdown for non-physics nerds as well https://www.theswingengineer.com/faq8.html

I just proof read all that and realize why I have no life outside the golf course.

Sup, Bryson.
NColoradoAG
8:58a, 5/1/24
gestapoparrot said:

Marauder Blue 6
9:05a, 5/1/24
gestapoparrot said:

Found the virgin!
Texmid
10:34a, 5/1/24
I've said it before on TexAgs and I will say it again now. I think it would be really cool to have a tournament where the pros all get the exact same set of cheap clubs and balls.
class of 03
10:48a, 5/1/24
In reply to AustinCountyAg
Because he is such a science nerd and is very open minded to new ideas, his content is relatable across a ton of spectrums. Very interesting follow for sure.

schwabbin
4:43p, 5/1/24
In reply to Texmid
Let em play with their tour clubs and proVs, but they have to play the unpredictable muni conditions and lies on a Saturday afternoon when it's backed up and the wife is calling.
Kansas Kid
8:37p, 5/1/24
In reply to schwabbin
schwabbin said:

Let em play with their tour clubs and proVs, but they have to play the unpredictable muni conditions and lies on a Saturday afternoon when it's backed up and the wife is calling.

It still won't be the same unless the same hackers that are always hitting into the other fairway where you are standing are also playing.
1208HawkTree
9:33p, 5/1/24
And no stands or spectators to stop the ball, or spotters to look.
Kansas Kid
9:36p, 5/1/24
In reply to 1208HawkTree
1208HawkTree said:

And no stands or spectators to stop the ball, or spotters to look.

But the players in other groups can pocket your ball and say they haven't seen a ball. Raking bunkers, repairing divots and ball mark? Yeah, right.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings