Mr. Cool DIY dual zone mini-split install

3,152 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Absolute
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The campground I'm a member of just got a new building delivered for registration and the camp office. I agreed to procure and install a mini-split system for HVAC, but the project manager decided he wanted the AC installed before the rest of the work gets done so it will be more comfortable for the people finishing out the rest of the work.

What the PM did not realize is that mini-splits are designed to be installed on finished walls, and literally nothing had been done in the building at all since it was delivered in February (when the weather was much better for doing construction). This meant I had to finish the walls in the areas where the units had to go, which added a full day's work to the job.

The added work meant I could not split the HVAC install over two days and had to work twice as long in a building with zero insulation and a metal roof when the weather reached 110 degrees outside. I ran an extension cord for a portable AC, but it lost the battle against the sun. The first day it was already 99 degrees inside the building when I started the portable AC, so it never got ahead and temps got well above 100. The second day started out at 75 degrees inside and finally hit 100 around 3:30. The portable AC was definitely beneficial on the second day, but I still ended up with significant heat exhaustion. When my pulse hit 150, I decided to stop and go jump in the pool for a couple of hours.

This is what I was working with:

The equipment:

I insulated and sheetrocked just the areas I needed finish.

This one 3.5" opening is the reason I told them I would only do this if it was a mini-split. Window/wall units would require opening and reframing part of the exterior wall.

The unit for the office:

The unit for the registration area. I had really wanted it in the middle of the wall, but field conditions got in the way. Water service and a tree were in the location where I wanted the exterior compressor unit to go, and moving it meant the refrigerant lines would not be long enough to reach the desired location of the interior head unit.

The exterior of the penetration:

Line covers are the way to go:

All hooked up (except for the electrical supply whip):

Be careful in this weather folks.
jt2hunt
AG
Did you pull a vacuum on the line set?
Ryan the Temp
AG
jt2hunt said:

Did you pull a vacuum on the line set?
The refrigerant lines and compressor come pre-charged. All you have to do is connect them and open the valve. I didn't open the valve because there is no power to the building yet. Once they get 230v service for the system I will open the valves and it's ready to run.
jt2hunt
AG
Nice!
88notchback
Awesome Job!

I've installed 4 DYI mini splits and they are awesome. The precharge system just makes life easy.
TMoney2007
AG
Looks like nice work.

Did you consider throwing in some insulation in the areas you were working? Seems like those things are going to be working very hard in an uninsulated building.
Ryan the Temp
AG
TMoney2007 said:

Looks like nice work.

Did you consider throwing in some insulation in the areas you were working? Seems like those things are going to be working very hard in an uninsulated building.
I installed insulation behind the drywall where I put the head units. The rest of the building will eventually be insulated and sheetrocked, but that's someone else's job. There was a rumor the current PM was going to be asked to step aside and my name came up as a replacement. I'm not sure I want that responsibility with the current state of affairs (translation: interpersonal drama).
Satellite of Love
Nicely done RTT! I would findout the color of the building's exterior and paint the lines the same color. It won't make it disappear, but it will blend in and look cleaner.
TMoney2007
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

TMoney2007 said:

Looks like nice work.

I installed insulation behind the drywall where I put the head units. The rest of the building will eventually be insulated and sheetrocked, but that's someone else's job. There was a rumor the current PM was going to be asked to step aside and my name came up as a replacement. I'm not sure I want that responsibility with the current state of affairs (translation: interpersonal drama).
Such are the perils of doing a good job...
sanitariex
AG
For a DIY, what would you guys do if there's not an accessible wall to run the drain pipe straight out to the exterior wall? I have a split garage and want to install a dual unit, but would have to run the coolant lines about 30 feet through the attic and then drop down the wall for one of them.
Sam Williams
AG
You could run a condensate pump
Aggietaco
AG
I think they have pumps built in, but you are still limited in drain distance, slope, and available immediate rise in the line. I'd look at the install instructions of the unit you plan to purchase for specifics. It should be addressed there or call their CSR group.
Ryan the Temp
AG
sanitariex said:

For a DIY, what would you guys do if there's not an accessible wall to run the drain pipe straight out to the exterior wall? I have a split garage and want to install a dual unit, but would have to run the coolant lines about 30 feet through the attic and then drop down the wall for one of them.
You can call Mr. Cool. They have really good customer service that can provide technical information and advice.

ETA - They did recently begin offering a ceiling cassette unit that may resolve this issue for you.

aggie_2010
AG
I installed a Mr. Cool 2 zone system in my split garage in February. I purchased and installed two Aspen condensate pumps and ran the condensate lines to the drain located under my water heater, which is located in a utility closet in the garage. The nice thing about the Aspen pumps is that they will shut off the unit if it senses a condensate problem that could lead to an overflow. So far everything has worked great.
aggie_2010
AG
Also, if you consider going the DIY Mr. Cool route, I found the best price by far on my unit through chillminisplits.com.
sanitariex
AG
Awesome information, I'll definitely look into that! Thanks!
saturn
AG
Looks great!

I'm on the cusp of buying and installing one of these units. Any feedback on its performance to date?
RoyVal
AG
saturn said:

Looks great!

I'm on the cusp of buying and installing one of these units. Any feedback on its performance to date?
I can tell you I've had one in my garage for about a year now and it's been a huge game changer for me! works like a champ to heat and AC my 3 car garage!
BadMuthaClucka
AG
Me and my wife are expecting so I am getting kicked out of man cave and into the garage. Any recommendations for insulating the garage doors before putting in a split unit? Trying to decide between replacing my regular doors with insulated doors or just adding insulation sheets to existing. All the walls and ceiling are insulated, just have to figure out what to do with the doors.
RoyVal
AG
BadMuthaClucka said:

Me and my wife are expecting so I am getting kicked out of man cave and into the garage. Any recommendations for insulating the garage doors before putting in a split unit? Trying to decide between replacing my regular doors with insulated doors or just adding insulation sheets to existing. All the walls and ceiling are insulated, just have to figure out what to do with the doors.
honestly, I think either one is fine as long as you have some kind of insulation. I have insulated doors, but it's probably a lot easier and cheaper just to add some insulation sheets. I'd probably go that route if it were me.
Absolute
AG
They sell Premade insulation for the doors at HD or Lowes. Just cut to length with a utility knife and pop into place. Very easy job. Helps a bit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.