Has anyone "nuked" their entire yard with Roundup/Glyphosate

4,330 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by 91AggieLawyer
TJH_16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glyphosate won't hurt trees if used by the label. I wouldn't spray young tree leaves or shrubs directly on purpose but it shouldn't do anything. 2-4-D you have to be careful with.
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Max -- with Bermuda, you pretty much always have time as long as its hot for 45-60 days. By October, its too late to lay seed down but you can put pre-emergent, and then follow up with a pre-emergent and glyphosate in the Feb timeframe.

So I picked up some Bermudagrass seed from a place in Justin (north of FW) yesterday. All I could find around here was common bermuda, which I didn't want. I took a picture of what I had that was going good and they recommended a seed they call "Blackjack." They also said it had the benefit of coming in faster (~2 weeks) than some of the other varieties. Today, I "tilled" up the yard with a manual cultivator (don't ask how that went) to loosen the dirt, spread the seed down, and then threw some 13-13-13 fertilizer I also bought at the seed store. They recommended that as starter fertilizer. I think it will also keep the birds away. I then watered it for about 15 minutes by hand. Depending on how much rain we get, I'll go out 2-3 times each day and water some more. Hopefully, we'll get enough rain through the weekend I won't need to water as much.

I also sprayed some other parts of the yard that still has some thatch with my "concoction" (see above) that will hopefully remove that and other dead material. I'll throw seed and fertilizer, and possibly some topsoil, down in 2-3 weeks.

I'm HOPEFUL that if nothing else, the aeration of the dirt will keep weeds at bay. I don't have anything to back that up; just cautiously optimistic. Looks like the sun won't be out in full force until early next week. I should be OK, though.

Pics coming up. I promise.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.