Fire Alarm keeps going off at 4am ish

1,741 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by TJH_16
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we have wired fire alarms upstairs. They keep going off for about 2-3 seconds around 4-6am once or twice.
(They literally just did it twice while I am writing this)

So I've changed all the batteries, I've removed them all and the batter then pushed test to drain whatever charge was still around. Re installed everything and it's still happening. Every ****ing morning between 4-6am

What am I missing? What do I need to do?
These were installed in mid 2022
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
You may have one going bad. We had similar issue and I ended up having to replace a couple. They were over 10 years old though so it was time. But they seemingly only went off at night!
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Should add on mine, the individual unit that triggers the alarm will flash until reset. So was easy to determine which unit was causing it. Other thing maybe ti consider is maybe a bug or dust? Can't explain the timing, but hopefully you get it resolved.
Troy91
AG
Had the same thing happen to us at almost exactly 10 years of usage.

We just replaced them all to stop the madness and ensure reliability.
Slagathor
AG
We had that happen recently, and it turned out to be drywall dust in the alarm since we had been doing renovations. Just have to replace the entire thing.
Quad Dog
AG
Yes, cheap and easy to replace. Should be done every ~10 years anyways.
If you get dust or fog up in the sensor it will stay there, so replace it.
jt2hunt
AG
Is there one in location that you're not seeing like a mechanical closet or attic in the batteries and that one are bad?
tgivaughn
AG
Wired: replace
Battery: 1) replace battery then 2) replace unit ... they have 10-yr lifetime ones now

Replace = 45acp or charcoal lighter fire seems to bring the biggest smiles
IMHO and am sticking to it
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
These were installed less than 2 years ago.

I think I found one with a slow blinking light this morning. Replaced brand new battery with another battery and it stopped blinking so fingers crossed I can sleep all night

If not I might look at a compressed air can to blow dust out. If that doesn't work I'll start replacing units
Lake08
Either get new ones or remove the batteries
Chase
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I think I found one with a slow blinking light this morning. Replaced brand new battery with another battery and it stopped blinking so fingers crossed I can sleep all night

If not I might look at a compressed air can to blow dust out. If that doesn't work I'll start replacing units
If you put in a new battery and it was blinking like a low battery, it may have some sort of drain going on.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Chase said:

If you put in a new battery and it was blinking like a low battery, it may have some sort of drain going on.

Good point
The second new battery did the trick, but I'll probably check them weekly to see if something like that is going on.
sts7049
AG
they may have been installed 2yrs ago but perhaps they sat on a shelf for awhile. see what the manufacture date is on it
Garrelli 5000
AG
Before replacing hit them all with a vacuum. I spent a lifetime one night slowly replacing batteries, sleep, wake in terror, replace another,etc.

Now every year when I have a ladder out to take down Christmas decor I hit the ones that require a big ladder to reach. Just take the handheld vac all around it and in the mount.

Dust, webs, etc, can trigger the alarms.
Take the trash out staff.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
It's amazing how several of my alarms went bad right at the 10 year mark. I'm pretty sure my parents never replaced their smoke alarms (outside of the battery) in 40+ years of living in their home.
62strat
AG

So we have wired fire alarms upstairs. They keep going off for about 2-3 seconds around 4-6am once or twice.
(They literally just did it twice while I am writing this)

So I've changed all the batteries, I've removed them all and the batter then pushed test to drain whatever charge was still around. Re installed everything and it's still happening. Every ****ing morning between 4-6am

What am I missing? What do I need to do?
These were installed in mid 2022
do you verify the beep pattern is not a dead device pattern??
TJH_16
AG
Had this issue and noticed the plug on the one I had issues with was a little melted. All the wires were jammed in there tight so in guessing that caused my issue. Something shorted out
Counterpoint
AG
TJH_16 said:

Had this issue and noticed the plug on the one I had issues with was a little melted. All the wires were jammed in there tight so in guessing that caused my issue. Something shorted out

Ironic fire hazard?
TJH_16
AG
Yeah I was glad to catch it. The wire is definitely a pain fitting in there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.