want to add 6-8 yards of compost to my lawn

2,392 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by ChoppinDs40
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the best way to do this without just a shovel, wheelbarrow, and a bow rake?
Roger That
AG
Two shovels and two wheelbarrows?
Aggiemike96
AG
And a stop by the Home Depot parking lot.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Depending on where you are there are a couple landscaping companies that do this work. They use these lawn spreaders. You can rent them, but hard to find. And the issue becomes how you load the hopper. 6-8 yards isn't too bad.

https://www.ecolawnapplicator.com/products/eco-250/

I'm trying to plan the same kind of project with 10-12 yards to level some bad areas and work in some organic matter. I'll likely just do it over the course of a week the old fashioned way with a leveling rake. Was quoted $1k from a company I know of for 5,000 sq ft, but some of that was being out of their service range in Dallas.
ChoppinDs40
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Depending on where you are there are a couple landscaping companies that do this work. They use these lawn spreaders. You can rent them, but hard to find. And the issue becomes how you load the hopper. 6-8 yards isn't too bad.

https://www.ecolawnapplicator.com/products/eco-250/

I'm trying to plan the same kind of project with 10-12 yards to level some bad areas and work in some organic matter. I'll likely just do it over the course of a week the old fashioned way with a leveling rake. Was quoted $1k from a company I know of for 5,000 sq ft, but some of that was being out of their service range in Dallas.

This is exactly what I was thinking to use but hadn't seen anything.

I'm up in Prosper (north dallas). Know of any places that rent these?
10andBOUNCE
AG
I don't but will ask the guys I got a quote from who rents them in north Dallas.

Might be worth asking what they would charge since you're close-ish to their location in Lavon. Probably going to run $200 for the rental plus another $2-300 for compost delivery. Unless you want the beating of doing it yourself, which I can appreciate!
Snug Valley Turf & Land Mgmt
469-826-7595
ChoppinDs40
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I don't but will ask the guys I got a quote from who rents them in north Dallas.

Might be worth asking what they would charge since you're close-ish to their location in Lavon. Probably going to run $200 for the rental plus another $2-300 for compost delivery. Unless you want the beating of doing it yourself, which I can appreciate!
469-826-7595

Thanks. Was looking at doing myself. I can probably put 3 yards in my truck bed. I'm no stranger to back breaking all day yard work. Put out almost 4 yards of mulch myself this weekend.

Added a river rock bed with flagstones a few weekends ago. Almost 3,000 lbs of stone/rocks. Wheelbarrow and a shovel
10andBOUNCE
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

469-826-7595

Thanks. Was looking at doing myself. I can probably put 3 yards in my truck bed. I'm no stranger to back breaking all day yard work. Put out almost 4 yards of mulch myself this weekend.

Added a river rock bed with flagstones a few weekends ago. Almost 3,000 lbs of stone/rocks. Wheelbarrow and a shovel
Sounds about like me, I appreciate that!
HDeathstar
Compost is easy to put out. Very light.

Dump wheelbarrow in spots and rake into the grass with some of the blades showing. Water.

only reason i hate doing it is because I don't have a truck and my compost place is only open for a few hours on Saturday. pain is just getting it to the house.
tgivaughn
AG
Home Depot Rentals might help a little bit $27/day
0.13cy rolling mulch spreader "Landize"
McKinney & N. Frisco
but filling it up 60 times .... mmmmm

The closest ECO 250 rental found on line was Houston and many in Central & NE USA
for $185-220/day
making hiring the whole tamale done by pros = done in a single day, losing the 40% markup intended for DIY savings but having time to DIY another yard project sooner.

Most pros around here don't rent out money making tools for fear of breakage then contracts not fulfilled.
ChoppinDs40
AG
HDeathstar said:

Compost is easy to put out. Very light.

Dump wheelbarrow in spots and rake into the grass with some of the blades showing. Water.

only reason i hate doing it is because I don't have a truck and my compost place is only open for a few hours on Saturday. pain is just getting it to the house.

I know I just didn't want to have to fill up 60 wheelbarrows or whatever.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Have you tried one of the manual compost spreaders like the Landzie? I am kind of curious if they work better than the shovel and rake method for when I do this in a few weeks. May just rent one from HD for the $11 daily rate to try it out.
Whitetail
AG
I put out 5.5 yards of bags. $2 per 2.0 cu ft now at Lowe's. Easy to dump it by the bag.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Whitetail said:

I put out 5.5 yards of bags. $2 per 2.0 cu ft now at Lowe's. Easy to dump it by the bag.

Compost or mulch? I put about 50 bags of mulch in my truck last weekend (just under 4 yards)

Also, I'm not seeing compost $2 a bag. Agreed tho, bag would be quicker and easier. Can put 4 bags in a wheelbarrow at a time.
ChoppinDs40
AG
That seems like a lot of work for not much material.
Whitetail
AG
Premium black mulch @ Lowe's
bam02
AG
I bought this one last month to spread peat moss to help with a recurring fungus issue in my St. Augustine. Works amazingly well for peat moss. I think it would work well for fairly fine/uniform compost, but I haven't tried it yet. I compost yard and kitchen waste and it just isn't fine enough to use in the spreader
ChoppinDs40
AG
Got it yeah. That's mulch not compost
Whitetail
AG
Yeah sorry for my poor reading skills.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Just ordered 10 yards to get delivered today. Any bets on how many wheelbarrows this is going to be?
txag2008
AG
Quote:

Just ordered 10 yards to get delivered today. Any bets on how many wheelbarrows this is going to be?
depends on how big your wheelbarrow is. Most are 3 cu ft, so that'd be 90 loads. have fun.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Now you gotta count em for us since you asked. I am guessing closer to 60 loads.

Are you planning to put down Pre Emergent again with the new dirt being spread and potential for weeds?

Also what dirt did you end up with and $ per yard? I went a couple days ago and they were trying to sell me on a pro mix that was $70 per yard! It was nice, but that is a lot of $$$ to spread out on my lawn.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I gather I'm 40% through the like. About 4-5 hours of work today.

I didn't count exactly but I'd bet I dumped 30-35 today.

I put down pre emergent right before it got delivered.

I paid $45/yard of screened soil with compost. It's good soil. Smells like doodoo. Has some clay and sand in it.

$190/delivery fee.

buck russell
You mind sharing where you sourced the compost? I need to do the same.
ChoppinDs40
AG
https://www.livingearth.net
10andBOUNCE
AG
You get er done?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Close. I reckon I've moved 80 wheelbarrows thus far
txag2008
AG
They really just dumped it on the street like that??
ChoppinDs40
AG
I laid a tarp down. I asked them to. Much easier to clean than my paver driveway. I've got 130' frontage on my lot and we have 30' wide streets in the hood.

That dirt ain't bothering nobody

It was a huge dump truck. 18000 lbs of dirt
ChoppinDs40
AG
Fin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.