Cabinet door repair

728 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by texag06ish
Bazooka Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 12 year old son acting like a 12 year old placed all his weight on a kitchen drawer and learned what breaking point means. He sheared the face right off. How would some one go about repairing a single drawer? Is a simple Home Depot run or should I find a cabinet store specifically? And yes, he's paying for it.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Pictures are probably needed here.

Easy fix if you're glueing sides back into a rabbet. Difficult if you've got to build an out of style drawer to match.
Bazooka Joe
AG

BenTheGoodAg
AG
If you're handy, this should be easy enough. You can reuse the drawer front and slides, which is really good news.

Step 1 - Make a mark of where the drawer front (stained part) is screwed to the drawer box. Do the same with the slides on the side of the box. I'd outline both with a pencil.
Step 2 - Remove the drawer front and slides from the box. Save the hardware
Step 3 - Measure the drawer box dimensions. There are a lot of options to buy replacements. Here's an example - Link. There are others. Just google "drawer box"
Step 4 - Reattach the drawer front and slides to the new box. You'll probably have to do some measuring on the slides to get them set right, but the marks on the drawer front will help make that easy enough. Might help to pull an adjacent box for reference.
Step 5 - ???
Step 6 - Profit.
Bazooka Joe
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

If you're handy, this should be easy enough. You can reuse the drawer front and slides, which is really good news.

Step 1 - Make a mark of where the drawer front (stained part) is screwed to the drawer box. Do the same with the slides on the side of the box. I'd outline both with a pencil.
Step 2 - Remove the drawer front and slides from the box. Save the hardware
Step 3 - Measure the drawer box dimensions. There are a lot of options to buy replacements. Here's an example - Link. There are others. Just google "drawer box"
Step 4 - Reattach the drawer front and slides to the new box. You'll probably have to do some measuring on the slides to get them set right, but the marks on the drawer front will help make that easy enough. Might help to pull an adjacent box for reference.
Step 5 - ???
Step 6 - Profit.

Thank you!
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If you have a friend that does woodworking, you could just make a new front of the drawer. You can reuse the drawer face and most of the drawer. The sides of the box did not break.
texag06ish
AG
My son did this to one of our cabinets. I purchased a replacement cabinet drawer box from cabinet from https://cabinetdoorsnmore.com/.

It was a simple fix and cost about $65.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.