Getting Gas to a Kitchen Island

1,760 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by RO519
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We currently have an electric glass range in our kitchen island with downdraft exhaust that exits the side of our house, My wife accidently broke our glass range the other day. We both do not like cooking on a glass range and would rather have a gas range. Outside of tearing up the tile floors, what other options do we have to get gas to the island?

Gas is in the laundry room 20' away (gas dryer)
Chase
AG
It's tear out walls or tear out tile or, (maybe) depending on code, you might be able to run it on the outside of the house and back in but I dunno.

Might be the perfect time to put in an outside kitchen along that wall and get gas to both of them behind the new counters.
RO519
AG
That is what I am afraid of. Opening up walls isn't too big of an issue, but tearing up tile and finding its match is the issue. Looks like my wife will be getting new tile floors as well.....
The Pilot
AG
I'm assuming no crawl space? Basements/crawl spaces are pretty common here in CO but less common in Texas.
RO519
AG
Nope. We are in Houston, a basement would become part of the Gulf!
tgivaughn
AG
1. Many clients have voiced a hesitation in going gas for their ranges in new builds, citing the love of induction cooking as just as fast & precise as gas (they have the money and no pacemakers thus far) Chefs reportedly are split 50-50 voting for gas vs induction "they say"
2. Gas can run through the attic and drop from ceiling to island cabinet
a) inside false hollow columns (wood, metal, etc)
b) inside a narrow wall rear of cooktop that now can also serve a hood/exhaust/light or NOT
c) the industrial look becoming more acceptable would drop a naked gas pipe into island then more of same for decor ... not too many or jailbars will be emulated

Agree not to invade tile floor & certainly not an unknown - perhaps eggshell - foundation that could be the "crack in the windshield" that continues slowly on forever ... Exception: foundation is wood framed pier & beam w/crawl space.

We have been very happy with old school halogen (the Galloping Gourmet Show predecessor to induction) for decades and we both came from gas cooking, one of us demoed cooking for Lone Star Gas Dallas in-the-day to sell more gas ranges.
IMHO and am sticking to it
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Just throw a blue rhino propane tank under there and call it a day.
The Kraken
AG
Go with an induction cooktop. Faster than electric, easier to clean than gas. You may have to purchase new pans, though.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
RO519
AG
I understand the appeal of induction cook tops, but I don't think that is the direction we want to go.
Sea Speed
AG
We put the a new gas line in the floor run from our fireplace when we were putting in new floors and it was the best cooking decision I ever made. Do it OP, electric cooking sucks.
bam02
AG
Having to run a gas line was enough for us to change our plans and go induction. Very happy with the choice, but honestly if the gas line was already there I'd have gone with that. From a practical standpoint the induction is hard to beat, but there's something satisfying about cooking with gas and the ranges just look classier.
RoyVal
AG
RO519 said:

We currently have an electric glass range in our kitchen island with downdraft exhaust that exits the side of our house, My wife accidently broke our glass range the other day. We both do not like cooking on a glass range and would rather have a gas range. Outside of tearing up the tile floors, what other options do we have to get gas to the island?

Gas is in the laundry room 20' away (gas dryer)
man I've been in the same boat for many years. No easy/cheap way to get gas to my cooktop. We switched to induction about 7-8 years ago and I'm very satisfied with the results. Previous to this house, I always had gas cooktops. I suffered with an electrical cooktop the first 10 years living here and finally decided to try induction and it's pretty much the same as cooking on gas...but with much easier clean up.

If we ever move I could take or leave a gas cooktop now. Just a little feedback from a fat guy that loves to cook LOL!
dgb99
AG
We did it during a full kitchen remodel with no regrets. Happy wife, happy life and all that.

Trench in slab was ~15 feet from gas hookup in laundry room to island. They did cut and repair one post tension cable during the process (details below). No issues so far 6 years later.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2936472
MyNameIsJeff
AG
1. Bust out slab to run gas.

2. Run gas overhead and build a wall to conceal it.

3. Relocated stove to counter on perimeter wall, replace island top.

4. Don't use gas.
MarkItZero
AG

Induction…do it

was skeptical but 3 years running with no ragrets
Jack Klompus
AG
Is there a gas line stub out in the island? When we replaced our glass cooktop (it was on a wall, not an island), there was a gas line stubbed out, but with no valve. We had to have a plumber put in a valve, but didn't have to tear up walls or floors.
ags2007
AG
Same for us. Previous owner was scared to death of gas appliances, so it was already stubbed out and capped. Made the transition to a gas cooktop a breeze for us.
RO519
AG
Unless it is underneath the base of the cabinet, no. I am planning on opening up the cabinet this weekend.
RO519
AG
Well I opened up the base cabinet, the builder did not stub up gas, but we have two spare/empty conduits where the vent stubs up through the slab. One appears to be a 2" PVC stub up. The other (second picture with red mark up) is 1" Smurf tube next to the Smurf tube the island electrical is run in. Now I just need to get a plumber out here to run a gas line.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.