Tankless water heater descaling

784 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by kyledr04
HalifaxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to do this for the first time...

How important is it?
Any tips for me?
Dr. Doctor
AG
When I had one get a couple of gallons of vinegar, a 5 gallon bucket and a fountain pump. Use 2 washer hoses and block in the heater.

Pump the fluid around and back into the bucket. Watch out so it doesn't turn green; that's copper acetate being formed

Took about 2 minutes total when I did it. Then flush out the system with water from the largest user.

Also check the screens on all your faucets/ users. The scale has no where to go, so it collects there.

~egon
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Use 2 washer hoses and block in the heater.

You need to make sure you have the cut off valves. I moved into a house and the previous owner had put the tankless in without there.

Use a sump pump in the bucket to create a circular flow of water from the bucket, through the heater, and back into the bucket. Run that for 45 minutes.

cena05
AG
Do you have a water softener?, if so you can space out the descaling considerably.
Whitetail
AG
I use one of the descale flush products for this on Amazon. It's like $20. In use a bucket, hoses, and a pump as described to flush. Pretty easy. My water is not softened and has minerals so it is part of my yearly home maintenance plan.
kyledr04
AG
Only difference is I use a drill pump and whoever installed the valves did it so that the drain side is turned sideways so I have to use a flexible hose and clamp
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.