Running electrical inside of 4" copolymer drain pipe

1,337 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Martin Q. Blank
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to get two 50amp circuits to my backyard for a swimpa, and I'm mulling over different ways to do this.
I can bury it of course but it's a long route around my concrete patio.
I could also leave it above ground if I build a deck since it can be attached to the bottom of the deck and that shortens it a bit, but still around the patio.

But I had a light bulb go off yesterday. I have a downspout attached to the 4" copolymer/corrugated stuff

Can I run my cables inside of liquidtight flex conduit, and then run those flex hoses through this 4" pipe? It obviously goes right under my patio and pops out on the other side right where I need it.

That downspout is picking up a VERY small area of my roof, about 3x5. Seen at top of pic here

So I'd even be willing to disconnect the downspout from this 4" pipe if that's what made a difference of meeting code or not.

I can put my disconnect boxes (I need 2) on either side of this downspout, one on the short 3' wall, the other in between downspout and window on the right. They both could easily feed into the 4" tube. It cuts out a few dozen feet, and is just easier.

Any code gurus out there? or is this gonna be jurisdiction dependent?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
You can....I guess. Would it be a code violation?...absolutely.
62strat
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

You can....I guess. Would it be a code violation?...absolutely.
so in absence of the downspout being connected to it, you can't run liquidtight flex inside of 4" copolymer tubing at all?

do you have a reference to NEC where it prohibits this?
TexAg1987
I would suspect it would be considered direct burial since the downspout isn't a rated conduit.

The liquitite would need to be rated for such.

NOT an electrician.

Another option would be to knock a hole on your walk next to the wall and push thru a conduit under the walk.

62strat
AG
TexAg1987 said:

I would suspect it would be considered direct burial since the downspout isn't a rated conduit.

The liquitite would need to be rated for such.

NOT an electrician.

liquidtight flex conduit is rated for direct burial.
and under concrete it's 4".

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Check out NEC article 356. Liquid tight is allowed to be direct buried, but it also is intended for installs less than 6 ft. The language doesn't do a good job explaining exceptions for 6ft as it relates to direct buried, so I think you'll get some opinions with inspectors that differ. Even so, this is not truly direct buried if it's run in a pipe, so I'm sure some will want it to be supported.

I think you're kind of inviting an inspector to take issue with it, personally.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I'd just do it the right way......dig around the patio and burry at depth in rigid conduit. 50 amp service is going to be a 6 gauge wire, so I'd probably opt for 2 separate runs of conduit and go ahead and string the wire inside the sticks before making up the joints. Pulling 6 gauge cable without a mechanical pull device sounds awful.
sts7049
AG
i'm not an inspector by any means. but i can't think of a worse idea than running electrical inside of a downspout drain (i don't care how rated the conduit is).

if you think it's safe, go for it i guess...
62strat
AG
sts7049 said:

i'm not an inspector by any means. but i can't think of a worse idea than running electrical inside of a downspout drain (i don't care how rated the conduit is).

if you think it's safe, go for it i guess...
Why do you think having it mounted on the side of your house in the rain is any better than in any other area that is wet?

Not sure I follow the logic. A wet location is a wet location. If anything, this flex line has more protection underground inside of a larger conduit compared to on the side of your house or direct buried.
sts7049
AG
you do you man. if you can rationalize it, then go for it.

i might be wrong, but don't really care. if i were buying a house and saw that the optics of it would probably make me walk.
The Pilot
AG
sts7049 said:

you do you man. if you can rationalize it, then go for it.

i might be wrong, but don't really care. if i were buying a house and saw that the optics of it would probably make me walk.
This would be my thinking too. It's such an unorthodox approach that I'd be curious what else is strange about this home.

If this were me, I'd just bury the conduit and make the run whatever length it needs to be to avoid the patio.

I forget if you are in Parker or DougCo jurisdiction. If your agency is DougCo, the inspectors are pretty reasonable and generally great to deal with. I had a few questions when building out an outdoor kitchen and 100 amp sub panel for a shed.
62strat
AG
I'm asking if it's specifically restricted by code.. if it is I wouldn't do it. If it's not, then I honestly don't really care about what a hypothetical buyer 15 years from now thinks!

two circuits of this is 8 wires which is pushing $10/lf so shaving off 40 or 50 feet is real money; otherwise I wouldn't care much. But I absolutely am having this inspected and so it needs to be to code.

I'm in Parker. The inspectors are pretty laid back, and def. helpful I email them several times throughout projects that I'm doing.
I've reached out to them about this, we'll see if he responds. I can't find anything that specifically restricts liquid tight conduit being inside of another conduit. But I'm a layman trying to navigate that code book.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
62strat said:

I'm asking if it's specifically restricted by code.. if it is I wouldn't do it.
I don't think you'll find a code requirement that explicitly restricts you from doing this.

But there are requirements that could be interpreted against doing this:
  • Not the intent of Liquid-tight Flexible Conduit - 356.12(3)
  • Can't be firmly attached for the length of install - 356.30
  • Specifically doesn't allow for fishing conduit beyond 3ft for luminaires - 356.30(2)
  • Not installed in a workmanlike manner - 110.12

Practically, I think you'll really struggle to pull 6 AWG at this length and could even damage the jacket. Cable in LFNC does not pull equivalently to other rigid conduits for the same diameter.

And I guess personally, I wouldn't accept it if I was asked to stamp it, for whatever that is worth.

sherminator
Dude you are spending a good chunk on the swinspa, don't reneck it up by putting wires in a downspout.
UnderoosAg
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Practically, I think you'll really struggle to pull 6 AWG at this length and could even damage the jacket. Cable in LFNC does not pull equivalently to other rigid conduits for the same diameter.

Assuming you disconnect the downspout, and aren't actively running water through the corrugated pipe, which is asking for problems IMO. I'd also seal up the ends of the corrugated pipe after install.

LFNC comes in rolls and wants to stay that way. You'd have to soap the everliving **** outta it to try and pull it through a corrugated pipe, and I still think you'd be fighting it. As mentioned above, 356 has requirements for supporting it when you get longer than 6', and I think it'd be easy to make the argument it is not supported.

You might be able to use UF cable. It's listed for direct burial, but with the caveat it cannot be used "where subject to physical damage." The magic is determining what subjects it to physical damage, or what an inspector believes subjects it to physical damage. It also can't be exposed to sunlight unless it's marked sunlight resistant.

But put me in the camp of dig a hole and use UF or PVC and just bury it.

Then you also gotta figure out what to do with the water that used to run down the pipe.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I can't find anything that specifically restricts liquid tight conduit being inside of another conduit.
The inside of another what? Not listed. Not to code.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.