Looking into a turnkey solution for backyard office in Austin

1,314 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by evan_aggie
2012Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering a backyard office in N Austin and wanted to get this subs opinion on a price from a local turn key company. Also welcome any suggestions/alternatives.

$35K for the smallest product appears steep, although it includes everything to finish the project. This is for the Pod 12 within the "Essentials" collection.
https://www.backyardpod.com/pod-essentials

Background: We are expecting baby #2 and would like some additional space. Between kids and a busy job, I have no desire to DIY. I likely could, but it would take a significant amount of time I dont want to devote right now. We've also considered upgrading the home as a hole, but don't feel like we've fully outgrown it so we'd like to avoid a 'too much house' problem. I work from home 2 -3 days a week and have evening calls with teams overseas twice a week. Appreciate any input!
Aggietaco
AG
Malachi of https://wereoutback.com/ has done a few for folks in our neighborhood and I haven't heard anything bad about him. He also did a spot with Matt Risinger for his youtube channel and actually stopped by to check out my shed while he was building Matt's fancy storage shed.
2012Ag
AG
Hadn't come across them yet, just sent a request for a quote. Much appreciated!
tlepoC
AG
I have a backyard pod. Love the owner and got the opportunity to speak to him frequently with a disaster of an install. Best design of the Austin based ones. Avoid Podzilla.
2012Ag
AG
You used the backyard pod company I linked?

How do you like it and what was the issue with the install?
tlepoC
AG
I did. I'll add details later and link to backstory but let's just say they didn't know how to build a foundation. I think they are good overall but early days had some really bad PMs.

Overall I like it.
evan_aggie
AG
I've got a Kanga office in the back.

Check those out.
evan_aggie
AG

2012Ag
AG
Looks great, what are the dimensions of this one? About how much all in was it?
tgivaughn
AG
$500/sf + utility hookups?

Love it?

Wishes to make it better?
IMHO and am sticking to it
evan_aggie
AG
https://www.kangaroomsystems.com/plans-and-pricing/cottage-cabins-and-dwellings

It was built when we bought the house from previous owner. I saw some paperwork that led me to believe the price was 50% of what's listed now on their website for the kit.
evan_aggie
AG
It should have been 20x14. My gripe is that it's just big enough for an office and workout room, but not big enough to put in a small kitchenette and bedroom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.