hospice recommendations?

967 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by e=mc2
95Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone in the San Antonio area have any personal experience with a hospice/end of life care facility that you felt was exceptional, during an otherwise very challenging time?

My father is at the end of his journey and currently at Baptist Medical. He needs to be transferred to a care facility, and we've basically been given an internet link to search for options by a hospital social worker.

We're dealing with a great deal right now, including not living in the area, so a starting point or personal recommendation from an Aggie "family" member would go a long way.

Thank you so much.
UnderoosAg
AG
Can't help with info because we had home based, but we went thru a similar situation a year ago with my mom. Sucks, there's no way around it. My prayers and condolences to you and your family.

And F cancer.
88planoAg
AG
My only experience with a hospice facility is in Tyler.

There is a poster who was a hospice nurse who helped answer general questions I had when my family was in your position. Her screen name here is Trouble. You can try sending her a PM - I don't think she is local to SA but might be a starting point.
poolct00
AG
We used the service that incarnate word has…..
Can't remember the name off the top of my head but I'm sure a quick search can help

They were wonderful with my mom
poolct00
AG
It was Alamo hospice

Again, they were wonderful in an otherwise awful time
95Ag
AG
Thank you, poolct00.

We're still searching.
Ginormus Ag
AG
I am sorry you are in this situation. We were in this situation with my mom 5 years ago. She had a major stroke and we were told they were going to move her to hospice. My parents live south of San Antonio about 70 miles and there was no way she could be moved home. She would not have made the trip. She ended up passing away before we could find a suitable hospice place for her. We basically fought the hospital (Methodist) everyday for about 5 days saying that we had not found a place suitable for her and then she got to the point where she was too fragile to move and passed 2 days later.

What we did (my sister, uncle and I) was we took the list the social worker and went and to each place that had availability and looked at the rooms and tried to meet with the staff. They will put forward their best face for you and make everything seem great. But, I think my uncle did something that I would have never thought of.

At the place we thought was pretty good and were going to settle on, he waited at the front door for a bit to talk to someone who had family in the place and asked them "So what do you think of this place?" "How long has your family member been here?" "How do you feel about the nurses? Management?" "What is the worst thing about this place" He basically interviewed people who currently had family there. I thought that it was wise to do that with some one who was a current customer of the place because these places have a lot of turnover with staff and management and can change quickly. The place we settled on was on Blanco Rd. It is no longer a hospice facility.
95Ag
AG
Dad has gone Home.

I just wanted to share the resources we used, in case anyone is searching for something similar in the future. Our family had an exceptional experience with the Hospice company who organized everything for us, as well as the residence where he spent his final days this week. Both were such a blessing having a first-hand recommendation is so helpful during an otherwise very stressful and emotional time (unfortunately, there are some bad places out there).

SunCrest Hospice

The Nest at Scenic Hills (Schertz, TX)

e=mc2
AG
95Ag said:

Dad has gone Home.

I just wanted to share the resources we used, in case anyone is searching for something similar in the future. Our family had an exceptional experience with the Hospice company who organized everything for us, as well as the residence where he spent his final days this week. Both were such a blessing having a first-hand recommendation is so helpful during an otherwise very stressful and emotional time (unfortunately, there are some bad places out there).

SunCrest Hospice

The Nest at Scenic Hills (Schertz, TX)

God bless you and your family.

I don't check this forum that often, but I know Hope Hospice in New Braunfels provides excellent care. They also have an office in northern SA off 281 I believe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.