EMP attack?
1,559 Views | 11 Replies
brew82
5:00a, 2/13/24
I imagine this has been discussed before but I did not see a thread on the first five pages of the Military board.

I just finished reading One Second After by William Forstchen. It is about an EMP attack on the United States. If you have not read it, I highly recommend it. It is gut wrenching.

Maybe I am just nervous after reading the book but does our government have a plan protecting our country from such an attack? I don't regularly watch the major news networks, but I don't think I have ever heard it talked about.

It seems like an attack of that sort would not be very difficult, even by a small terrorist cell, but the consequences would be detrimental. An EMP attack seems much more damaging to the country than a dozen nuclear bombs hitting our 12 most populated cities.

What do you guys think?
Get Off My Lawn
6:32a, 2/13/24
In reply to brew82
Good book. Our government has some counter-missile capabilities, but if they can't shoot em down - good luck bike biking to Amish country.
CT'97
11:27a, 2/13/24
The EMP attack would be far less deadly.

To start off with a baseline,12 nukes going off in our 12 most populated cities means 10's of millions dead and millions more dying from radiation over the next year. Overwhelming any infrastructure left in cities surrounding and not affected. This would also mean an exchange of strategic nuclear weapons that only ends in the entire North American and European and Asian continents left dead and likely the entire rest of the world dying in the nuclear winter to follow. This is mutually assured destruction and everyone owning these weapons has agreed they don't want that.

For the EMP attack to be close to that deadly you have to make a lot of assumptions that just don't add up.

First the delivery of a weapon of the size needed to strike the majority of the US at the altitude needed to allow delivery of the pulse to do enough damage would appear like a first strike weapon and result in the same mutually assured destruction because our response would be fire our strategic nuclear weapons in return and everyone else would follow suit.

So large weapons that would impact the majority of the US aren't worth worrying about because we all die anyway.

Second, a smaller weapon delivered high enough do broadcast damage to the majority of the US isn't strong enough to do much beyond bring down satellites in it's direct line of sight and maybe electric grids in a specific area below it. While this is a threat and a hypersonic weapon carrying a nuclear payload would fall into this category.
Worst case scenario is something like this going off in orbit over Maine impacting the north east seaboard and shutting off power. Likely vehicles, small electronics, personal radios, even cell phones if insulated inside a building and any electronics that are powered down would survive. The cell communications would come back as soon as portable cell towers were powered up. Aid would begin flowing into the area from surrounding states immediately and transport of patients from hospitals would begin rapidly. This likely causes local chaos and looting and some deaths will occur as a result until National Guard and Police units can enforce curfews and keep things under control. Think post Katrina New Orleans but without the flooding.

Third, any kind of man portable or private plane delivered device would be too low in altitude to do much. The electron wave only goes to the line of site and any device that small won't have enough payload to do much beyond a very limited area.

Finally, assuming all the above is not true and the scenario described in the book happens you have to also assume that the entire rest of the world would refuse to come to our aid. While it would be very bad for a period of time eventually aid would come, infrastructure would be rebuilt, and life would go on.

So no an EMP strike would not be anywhere near as bad as a nuclear strike.
txaggie_06
1:06p, 2/13/24
In reply to brew82
Go read 2034: A Novel of the Next World War.

good book and very interesting look on things.
Aggie Infantry
12:58p, 2/15/24
Buy some land 60 miles from a major population center. Stock up on beans, bullets, bandaid, and Bullion.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
COSCAG67
9:38p, 2/22/24
In reply to Aggie Infantry
I'd rather live right next to a major military base and be in the first group to get their ticket punched.
cavscout96
11:24a, 2/23/24
In reply to Aggie Infantry
Aggie Infantry said:

Buy some land 60 miles from a major population center. Stock up on beans, bullets, bandaid, and Bullion.

you forgot bourbon...
fulshearAg96
10:44a, 2/24/24
Don't we just need to continue to let the Chinese float balloons and instruments over our country for the EMP attack to occur????
CT'97
1:27p, 2/24/24
In reply to fulshearAg96
You couldn't float that under a balloon of that size and if you could it's signature would be detectable to any number of monitors.
So not really, but if you want to scare yourself so you feel better about something go for it.
fulshearAg96
10:09a, 2/25/24
In reply to CT'97
CT'97 said:

You couldn't float that under a balloon of that size and if you could it's signature would be detectable to any number of monitors.
So not really, but if you want to scare yourself so you feel better about something go for it.
Thanks for having a sense of humor!
CT'97
12:35p, 2/25/24
In reply to fulshearAg96
Sorry, didn't recognize the sarcasm. My bad
fulshearAg96
1:17p, 2/25/24
In reply to CT'97
CT'97 said:

Sorry, didn't recognize the sarcasm. My bad
CLOSE
Cancel