Fundamental changes to Corps structure.
18,313 Views | 179 Replies
Aggie Therapist
10:53a, 2/22/24
In reply to CharlieBrown17
D&C cadets were always the most out of shape, lacked discipline and had the good ol boy attitude.

Comeby!
11:14a, 2/22/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
Yea I was fat then, still am. Don't matter, kicked ass.
Aggie Therapist
11:30a, 2/22/24
In reply to Comeby!

You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
SpartanChase26
11:45a, 2/22/24
In reply to freedomfighter11
I am attempting to become one of the cadre for class of 28 however even if I am selected, I cannot assure the quality of the cadets leading from other outfits and many outfits have different focuses or ways to do things.
Dark_Knight
11:54a, 2/22/24
I was technically D&C and took pride in being in the Corps. I joined outfit pt even as a zip.

I don't think the Corps will cease to exist if these changes are implemented. That's a bit extreme.
Strong Men Armed
12:46p, 2/22/24
In reply to Get Off My Lawn
Won't dispute any of that. I believe the academies breed some sense of entitlement in their grads, and upon arrival at The Basic School, they find out what the real world is like. The best hold their own with their contemporaries, and the rest head out to the civilian world.
I served with outstanding officers from every commissioning source: NROTC, USNA, OCS, and officers commissioned from the enlisted ranks. The USMC demands competence from all. And the troops don't care where your degree is from, or if you even have a degree.
Aggie Therapist
1:23p, 2/22/24
In reply to Strong Men Armed
My Soldiers always ask me if I was prior service went I went to different stations.

I learned to take that question as a good thing later on...
Gator_2
1:40p, 2/22/24
In reply to SpartanChase26
Did the Commandant really get booed out of a meeting? That's gold
Easy come, easy go
Aggie Therapist
1:42p, 2/22/24
In reply to Gator_2
And one of the most disrespectful things I've ever heard.

Embarrassing actually.
Gator_2
1:45p, 2/22/24
Sometimes actions like these are warranted. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Easy come, easy go
Aggie Therapist
1:48p, 2/22/24
In reply to Gator_2
Yes, booing a retired one star is warranted from a bunch of clueless cadets.

Dark_Knight
2:03p, 2/22/24
Yea, I don't think booing the Commandant is goodbull. Just kinda shows, to me, the lack of character and discipline in the Cadets.
aggiez03
2:10p, 2/22/24
CharlieBrown17 said:

aggiez03 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Imagine taking the word of a 19-20 year old who is proud to have hissed at a retired general so now he "won't show his face" anymore as gospel.

Comical to act like you should be able to discipline fish at will when you can't even hold your peers to a level where they can listen and work against a change effectively.

There's zero way an organization that's apparently gotten to a point where sophomores feel comfortable to just boo the commandant out of a meeting is preparing cadets for the private sector or public service near as effectively as it should be.
Canary in a coal mine.

Comical to think that a Trigon that would not only allow some person who decided he is a girl DICTATE the entire Corps play pretend or ELSE, but also they put that person in Charge of an outfit as the sitting CO.

This has not ever even been brought to light even though most of us parents have known about it for 9+ months.

But it is telling that you pulled one tiny sentence out of that whole description of what is going on and decide to focus on that.

Point is, if this Commandant continues his ways, the Corps will cease to exist.

If y'all don't care about that, then I can't help you...

Or maybe YOU ARENT GETTING THE WHOLE STORY, as you so eloquently put it, from the 19 year old too immature to listen to changes and find a way to effectively fight them instead of booing someone off stage.

Do you think this is all coming from a single cadet?

The general issued a retraction to his plan because of a single cadet that was unhappy??
Tom Kazansky 2012
2:18p, 2/22/24
In reply to Warrior 66
Warrior 66 said:

Given what I've read on this and other sites about this decision, I seriously doubt that Jame Rudder's groundbreaking and transformational changes - all changes we celebrate today - would have gotten much traction in today's "everybody gets a vote" environment.

Every decision that has ever been made that changed "the way we've always done it" in the Corps has always been the decision that's going to "kill the Corps." Yet, the Corps has survived all those changes, continues to survive today, and will survive this change as well.

How about we give this change a chance, and see how it works out before we start ringing the death knell of the Corps? This may turn out to be the transformational change that the Corps needs at this point and time in our history. These kinds of changes are not malicious in nature nor are they designed to be the death of the Corps. Believe it or not, the Commandant and his staff love the Corps as much as you do, if not more, and want to see it succeed.

There have been monumental changes made in business, in government, in education, in our military, and at Texas A&M over the years - all for good reason. This change for the Corps is difficult and in some perspectives, somewhat radical. But it has merit (the military has been doing this for decades) and we should be willing to give it a chance and see if it will work in the end - just like Rudder's (radical) sweeping changes did. I do not believe it will kill the fish experience, nor do I believe it will kill outfit culture. Both will survive and thrive, just as they have over the many changes made to the Corps over the last 147 years.

You can certainly disagree (and I'm sure many will), but thats my take on all of this.

"Per Unitatem Vis!"

The "it's always been changed" people are as vapid as the "it's always been done this way" people.

Let's argue the validity of the plan, which sucks on its face. It aims to hurt outfit cohesion for corps organization cohesion. Which is emphasizing the worst part of the corps and ruining the best part.
Aggie Therapist
2:22p, 2/22/24
In reply to Tom Kazansky 2012
My outfit doesn't even exist anymore.

Aggie Therapist
2:43p, 2/22/24
Your buddy aggiez03 is copying and pasting our quotes from here and throwing them on F16

Classic.
Tom Kazansky 2012
3:02p, 2/22/24
Aggie Therapist said:

My outfit doesn't even exist anymore.

Look just because you had a bag outfit that is not a thing anymore doesn't mean you have to have indifference for the good ones.

Great outfits make the corps special, not the bulls or the trigon or staff rats.
Flower Child
3:08p, 2/22/24
The idea of cadets hissing the Commandant out of the room is astounding to me. I hope it is an exaggeration of events; otherwise the Corps has a completely different character than the Corps of old. Hissing fellow Ags alone was bad bull, much less the Commandant!
Dark_Knight
3:10p, 2/22/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Your buddy aggiez03 is copying and pasting our quotes from here and throwing them on F16

Classic.

He's definitely petty and butthurt.
Aggie Therapist
3:10p, 2/22/24
In reply to Tom Kazansky 2012
Hey I bonded well with yours.

From miserable FTXs, Epic nights on Northgate and even Korea
Tom Kazansky 2012
3:21p, 2/22/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Hey I bonded well with yours.

From miserable FTXs, Epic nights on Northgate and even Korea

Everyone bonded well with Boozers.
Get Off My Lawn
3:53p, 2/22/24
In reply to Flower Child
Flower Child said:

The idea of cadets hissing the Commandant out of the room is astounding to me. I hope it is an exaggeration of events; otherwise the Corps has a completely different character than the Corps of old. Hissing fellow Ags alone was bad bull, much less the Commandant!
Welcome to the culture war. Those who hold onto the old rules of decorum are being swept aside and losing what they cherish. This batch of young men have been told by everyone that they're unwanted and that spaces "aren't for them." And now one of their few bastions is being "fundamentally transformed."

The current pope is bad for Catholicism. The current president is bad for this nation. And a commandant can be bad for the corps.

If he's taking something they love: they are right to be hostile. The restraint is that the hostility was contained to the verbal.
Southlake
4:00p, 2/22/24
This does seem abrupt and extreme.

How about just making FOW 3 or 4 weeks?
Comeby!
4:43p, 2/22/24
In reply to Southlake
2 weeks max, one week before school and one week after. Then y out can gauge how much attrition is attributed to knuckleheaded upperclassmen and how much is just the increased academic stresses. You also have to remember that the corps has a significant engineering percentage and ETAM is a mf'er.
Rebbasser
7:05p, 2/22/24
I gained lifelong brothers when I stepped on campus in the fall of '79. That probably wouldn' have happened with the changes they are contemplating.
Old Army '83
freedomfighter11
6:32a, 2/23/24
A retired general who forgot what it means to be honorable? The same guy that published a response claiming this radical restructure was simply, a "proposal"? Sorry, I'm proud of this 19-20 year old for calling him out - Commandant should be removed for a blatant betrayal of the Aggie code of Honor!
freedomfighter11
6:43a, 2/23/24
Some of the fattest people I've ever met are in the army. Are they non regs too? … keepers of the tradition. Without them, you have no corps of cadets..
SpartanChase26
9:24a, 2/23/24
As a member of the class of '26 i would like to explain the post from the cadet in my class that made one of the previous posts. The Comandante was not hissed off the stage and left in embarrassment. The cadets hissed him bringing up major change, weekly meetings, and pissheads being ****bags. He did not return for two weeks because he brought in other professional speakers. He came back this morning and delivered another speech.
Rabid Cougar
12:32p, 2/23/24
Aggie Therapist said:

D&C cadets were always the most out of shape, lacked discipline and had the good ol boy attitude.

Horse sh*t!

Did the PT test with the rest of the outfit through Zip year. 20 pull ups, 18 minute 3 miles and maxed sit ups and ran a 4.6 40 all at 225 Lbs. .. Could run the ramps and the steps at Kyle Field AND rocked a high and tight haircut.

Had a D&C buddy who ran sub 15 minute 3 miles...

My outfit D&C Zip buddies were not the ones falling out on Bloody Cross or outfit runs.....

Class of '86
aggiejim70
12:54p, 2/23/24
The whole place is going to hell.......The fish this next year will never live in a tent, the fish next year will never wear the grey uniform, the fish next year will be at the Air Base, the fish next year will never experience the Air Base, the fish next year will never be in branch designated units, the fish next year will never wear green pants, the fish next year will wear AMU brass, the BQ fish will never be in the Maroon or White Band, the fish class is going to include women. How will the Corps ever survive?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tom Kazansky 2012
1:08p, 2/23/24
In reply to aggiejim70
aggiejim70 said:

The whole place is going to hell.......The fish this next year will never live in a tent, the fish next year will never wear the grey uniform, the fish next year will be at the Air Base, the fish next year will never experience the Air Base, the fish next year will never be in branch designated units, the fish next year will never wear green pants, the fish next year will wear AMU brass, the BQ fish will never be in the Maroon or White Band, the fish class is going to include women. How will the Corps ever survive?

Yeah these comments aren't helpful.
Jock 07
1:16p, 2/23/24
In reply to aggiez03
aggiez03 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

I will never forget what one of my most respected Army ROTC instructors said, CAG now, told me when I was a cadet.

We were talking about peer leadership and struggles with getting people to stay motivated and physically fit.

"Well it's hard because you have non-regs in your formation"

"Oh no sir, they are called D&C"

"Yeah, nonregs"
Ha ha, real funny.

Without D&C, who make up the majority of the Corps, if the Corps existed at all, it would be a tiny fraction of what it is today.

Mark me down as someone with 16 years of service, and counting, as someone who feels the D&C element is critical to what makes the Aggie Corps the Aggie Corps.
Aggie Therapist
1:20p, 2/23/24
Yall need some hobbies.

This ain't your Corps anymore. Get over it.

Some of y'all just want some type of old army fish buddy fantasy instead of an actual leadership development program setting up cadets for success in the private and government sectors in 2024.

Tom Kazansky 2012
1:23p, 2/23/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Yall need some hobbies.

This ain't your Corps anymore. Get over it.

Some of y'all just want some type of old army fish buddy fantasy instead of an actual leadership development program setting up cadets for success in the private and government sectors in 2024.

I think you need to be more open to consider others perspectives.
BQRyno
1:26p, 2/23/24
You know what? You're right. I think the "leadership development" aspect driven by the commandant's office is a joke. You learn to lead by leading. Not by being in the classroom. This plan takes leadership opportunities away from all but a chosen few. So who cares about leadership more?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings