Fundamental changes to Corps structure.
18,363 Views | 179 Replies
BQRyno
1:29p, 2/23/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
And frankly what has made me successful from the corps had nothing to do with the classes or leadership programs. It came from learning how to interact with and lead other people and from hard lessons about politics in an organization. The best person doesn't always get the job. Sometimes you have to kiss someone's ass. Maybe that's worth it sometimes and not worth it other times. Those are real life lessons that other college kids don't get. That's more valuable than any leadership development program, which sounds to me like getting an MBA before ever being a manager. You can only learn so much without experience to go along with and inform it.
Aggie Therapist
1:32p, 2/23/24
In reply to Tom Kazansky 2012
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Yall need some hobbies.

This ain't your Corps anymore. Get over it.

Some of y'all just want some type of old army fish buddy fantasy instead of an actual leadership development program setting up cadets for success in the private and government sectors in 2024.

I think you need to be more open to consider others perspectives.

Man I have to do that all day.

Honestly fellow Corps of Cadets brothers, I just couldn't care less. And with that being said, I'll shut my yap because I'm not helping the situation. I do really appreciate yall really voicing your concerns and trying to preserve what the Corps of Cadets stands for as we know it and trying to make that work in 2024.

This ain't my fight, but thank yall for remaining steadfast in your efforts!
HollywoodBQ
5:43p, 2/23/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

Aggie Therapist said:

D&C cadets were always the most out of shape, lacked discipline and had the good ol boy attitude.

Horse sh*t!

Did the PT test with the rest of the outfit through Zip year. 20 pull ups, 18 minute 3 miles and maxed sit ups and ran a 4.6 40 all at 225 Lbs. .. Could run the ramps and the steps at Kyle Field AND rocked a high and tight haircut.

Had a D&C buddy who ran sub 15 minute 3 miles...

My outfit D&C Zip buddies were not the ones falling out on Bloody Cross or outfit runs.....

Class of '86
Sounds like you should have been on the 12th Man Kickoff Return Team.
Can you tackle? Do you have any eligibility left?

Seriously though, anecdotal story but, it was my D&C buddies who had to get their Senior Boots resized (stretched). Something about them gaining weight between their Sophomore year and Final Review their Junior year.
ABATTBQ87
10:57p, 2/23/24
In reply to HollywoodBQ
Quote:

Sounds like you should have been on the 12th Man Kickoff Return Team.

What the heck is the 12th man return team?
Eliminatus
5:52a, 2/24/24
This is all fascinating from an outsider's perspective. Yall can chalk me up as one of those who regrets now not having joined at all.

I just have one question really. Where is the 3k students quota coming from? TAMU itself? What are the reasons for that directive? Are they actually valid and arose to meet an actual demand of some sort?
CharlieBrown17
11:41a, 2/24/24
It's been 3K for years, never really heard a why

Probably a combo of that's what the quad will hold and every organization needs a goal and 3K was the next thousand

Between '13 and '17 we were around 2500-2700 cadets if I remember right
Get Off My Lawn
12:11p, 2/24/24
Chewing on this recently: military officers don't get the enlisted camaraderie. I averaged a new role every 6 months as a company grade artilleryman - few or no direct peers. Enlisted men will often spend 3-8 years in the same units.

A corps experience is the only chance most officers will ever have to get true camaraderie. Which is why the bond lasts for life. And why it matters.

A general who has navigated the military an individual for 30+ years can forget that camaraderie matters and that raw experiences are critical to the formation of that bond.
Comeby!
12:12p, 2/24/24
https://today.tamu.edu/2022/04/28/texas-am-announces-march-to-3000-initiative-to-grow-corps-of-cadets/
ABATTBQ87
12:28p, 2/24/24
In reply to CharlieBrown17
CharlieBrown17 said:

It's been 3K for years, never really heard a why

Probably a combo of that's what the quad will hold and every organization needs a goal and 3K was the next thousand

Between '13 and '17 we were around 2500-2700 cadets if I remember right

The Corps hasn't been 2700 since the 70s

Current high water mark is 2550; the quad can only house 2600
Eliminatus
3:02p, 2/24/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

https://today.tamu.edu/2022/04/28/texas-am-announces-march-to-3000-initiative-to-grow-corps-of-cadets/

Pretty much what I thought. Nothing concrete aside from "wanting to grow more leaders!" which my cynical ass rolls my eyes at. Looks like another Banks special?

I just hate forced growth for the sake of it. It rarely turns out the way the original visions make it out to be. Especially if they are Banks' visions.

Thanks for the article
Tom Kazansky 2012
3:08p, 2/24/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

Comeby! said:

Pretty much what I thought. Nothing concrete aside from "wanting to grow more leaders!" which my cynical ass rolls my eyes at. Looks like another Banks special?

I just hate forced growth for the sake of it. It rarely turns out the way the original visions make it out to be. Especially if they are Banks' visions.

Thanks for the article

It's the same poor sorry ass leadership we see in the corporate world.
aggiez03
9:29p, 2/25/24
For those interested in this...

NOTICE: This was forwarded to me since I made the original post and the author is unknown. I was told a group of former CTs...

Here is the original...

Here is the response....

Link to PDF: https://file.io/y3z9rjYhiwkG
n1mr0d
8:31p, 2/29/24
Where is the commandants plan located? He states he is reevaluating and reexamining his proposed plan. Has anyone seen his plan?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
9:02a, 3/3/24
On F16, a couple people posted that the Commandant threatened to disband the RVs for two years. At first I figured just BS rumor, but a couple posters received the info from current RVs. If true, then that is crazy. Surely he does know that they are the Texas Honor Guard and support Silver Taps, Muster and many high profile events.
Aggie Therapist
9:24a, 3/3/24
In reply to 2004FIGHTINTXAG
Why would he say that
2004FIGHTINTXAG
10:03a, 3/3/24
I'm sure the truth is in the middle, but the fact that it was even brought up is ridiculous. Hard to believe this guy is an Ag and was in the Corps.
Aggie Therapist
10:09a, 3/3/24
As a former RV I find it pretty mind blowing

Not really known for causing a stir lol
inconvenient truth
10:14a, 3/3/24
Aggie Therapist said:

As a former RV I find it pretty mind blowing

Not really known for causing a stir lol

Wait, weren't you the one claiming that if it didn't directly relate to commissioning officers then you had no use for it in the Corps. An end to the RVs would seem to be right up your alley.
Aggie Therapist
10:16a, 3/3/24
In reply to inconvenient truth
What a wild stretch of putting words in my mouth.

CT'97
5:33p, 3/3/24
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

On F16, a couple people posted that the Commandant threatened to disband the RVs for two years. At first I figured just BS rumor, but a couple posters received the info from current RVs. If true, then that is crazy. Surely he does know that they are the Texas Honor Guard and support Silver Taps, Muster and many high profile events.
That doesn't add up and absolutely sounds like someone is making stuff up or at the least embellishing a statement to get attention.
cavscout96
1:23p, 3/4/24
In reply to CT'97
CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

That doesn't add up and absolutely sounds like someone is making stuff up or at the least embellishing a statement to get attention.

Never.....can't image anything of the sort. F16 is 100% accurate and reliable...rightt?

#shockednotshocked
cavscout96
1:23p, 3/4/24
In reply to cavscout96
cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Never.....can't image anything of the sort. F16 is 100% accurate and reliable...right?

#shockednotshocked
Tom Kazansky 2012
2:17p, 3/4/24
In reply to cavscout96
cavscout96 said:

cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Never.....can't image anything of the sort. F16 is 100% accurate and reliable...right?

#shockednotshocked

All that's been posted is from current RVs second hand with a lot of corroboration from parents of RVs. Say what you will but it's on FB groups too… not just F16
Aggie Therapist
2:32p, 3/4/24
Was it this bad when we were going through changes from 2009-2012?
Tom Kazansky 2012
2:38p, 3/4/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Was it this bad when we were going through changes from 2009-2012?

Don't ask don't tell.
Aggie Therapist
2:45p, 3/4/24
My instructor at MCCC at Benning was trans.

He to she type.
Tom Kazansky 2012
3:47p, 3/4/24
Aggie Therapist said:

My instructor at MCCC at Benning was trans.

He to she type.

Bet she killed it at PFT
cavscout96
4:06p, 3/4/24
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

cavscout96 said:

cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

#shockednotshocked

All that's been posted is from current RVs second hand with a lot of corroboration from parents of RVs. Say what you will but it's on FB groups too… not just F16

Well, if it's on FB it MUST be accurate.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
6:36p, 3/4/24
In reply to cavscout96
cavscout96 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

cavscout96 said:

cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

#shockednotshocked

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but even that is crazy.
Tom Kazansky 2012
7:36p, 3/4/24
In reply to cavscout96
cavscout96 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

cavscout96 said:

cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

#shockednotshocked

Do you have any info on this subject or are you here to just put your fingers in your ears?
cavscout96
8:53p, 3/4/24
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

cavscout96 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

cavscout96 said:

cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

#shockednotshocked

Do you have any info on this subject or are you here to just put your fingers in your ears?

Do YOU have any first-hand knowledge or are you just here to rant and rave about online rumors that you can't substantiate?
Comeby!
9:11p, 3/4/24
In reply to cavscout96
I do. I spoke to a current RV who was present in the room when some of these things were said by someone in the Trigon. It wasn't the Commandant who said this.
CT'97
12:40a, 3/5/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

I do. I spoke to a current RV who was present in the room when some of these things were said by someone in the Trigon. It wasn't the Commandant who said this.
That is the definition of second hand information.
Aggie Therapist
5:42a, 3/5/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

"Someone in the Trigon"

That really narrows it down

Comeby!
7:22a, 3/5/24
I'm not a cadet so I'm not first hand but this is from someone I trust.
"Someone in the trigon" I know his name but won't post it at this time. But RV's and involved former RV's will be able to figure it out. I wanted to highlight that it wasn't the commandant.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings