Fundamental changes to Corps structure.
18,083 Views | 177 Replies
n1mr0d
7:30a, 3/5/24
You won't hear anything from the commandant until he rolls out his modified version of his restructuring this fall. Save the Corps!
Aggie Therapist
7:51a, 3/5/24
In reply to Comeby!
Well I'm a former Meatball.

I don't mean to accuse you of pulling random statements from your behind. You'll have to forgive me but I can't get my head around someone actually wanting to disband the RVs for two years.

My main concern is the firing squad. Many evenings learning silent counts over hours and weeks of practice. Then you have the outgoing zip who had to instill confidence in the incoming XO and build trust within the whole unit to confidently execute.

Words can't describe what that tradition means to Aggie families.
Comeby!
7:56a, 3/5/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
The comment was something along the lines of getting rid of the current RV's to make way for the a new type of RV's. Whether they actually disband them or render them ineffective, I don't know, but the current way the RV's do what they do is not the desire.
Aggie Therapist
8:05a, 3/5/24
In reply to Comeby!
That's interesting and has peaked my curiosity.

The RV selection process was about as "Cadet Run" as it gets. And for a good reason. You were selected based off your reputation and performance within the corps over sophomore and junior year. Are you someone that current RVs wanted holding up the legacy?

Trigon involvement would diminish that.
inconvenient truth
8:36a, 3/5/24
Aggie Therapist said:

The RV selection process was about as "Cadet Run" as it gets. And for a good reason. You were selected based off your reputation and performance within the corps over sophomore and junior year. Are you someone that current RVs wanted holding up the legacy?

*piqued

So you have no problem with diminishing the roles of cadet leadership and training so long as it doesn't affect your beloved RVs?

cavscout96
1:54p, 3/5/24
In reply to inconvenient truth
inconvenient truth said:

Aggie Therapist said:

*piqued

So you have no problem with diminishing the roles of cadet leadership and training so long as it doesn't affect your beloved RVs?

Aaaaaand we're OFF!!!!
Aggie Therapist
8:51a, 3/6/24
In reply to inconvenient truth
inconvenient truth said:

Aggie Therapist said:

*piqued

This dude is just launching sabot rounds at my APC lol

I wouldn't want anything happen to my beloved PMC, FDT, Seal Platoon, RVs or Rudders Rangers.
Hawk2007
6:13a, 3/8/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

The comment was something along the lines of getting rid of the current RV's to make way for the a new type of RV's. Whether they actually disband them or render them ineffective, I don't know, but the current way the RV's do what they do is not the desire.

Are you referring to the Who's Who club that either you're in it or you're not? The way I view it is that when it comes to alumni donations, bleed the RVs dry before you pickup the phone to ask me to open my wallet. Even then, still don't call.
Aggie Therapist
6:54a, 3/8/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Bleed the RVs dry lol

Someone got blackballed
TX_COWDOC
6:58a, 3/8/24
In reply to Hawk2007
wow.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Comeby!
7:55a, 3/8/24
In reply to Hawk2007
I'm talking about bulls
Hawk2007
5:52p, 3/8/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Bleed the RVs dry lol

Someone got blackballed

Yes, I can also show you on the doll where the RVs touched me.
TX_COWDOC
6:06p, 3/8/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Hawk2007 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Bleed the RVs dry lol

Someone got blackballed

That's too bad. I don't know if you're a former student or not. If you are, (and they've not been disbanded), a squad of 22 of them will fire a volley on April 21st after you're gone.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Hawk2007
6:13p, 3/8/24
In all honesty, I haven't thought of those RV bravo foxtrots since leaving the corps.

I had completely forgotten the meatballs thing until I read it up above. I do think RVs benefited in that it gave cadets the opportunity to network outside of their outfit and MAJCOMs. But, not surprised the RVs are operating in a manner that is pissing off HQ.

My general comment about this thread and possible changes.... What is coming or possibly coming down from the Trigon is far better than what DoD puts me through on a daily basis. If we're building military leaders of tomorrow, the Trigon is doing a solid job.
Hawk2007
6:16p, 3/8/24
In reply to TX_COWDOC
TX_COWDOC said:

Hawk2007 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Bleed the RVs dry lol

Someone got blackballed

That's too bad. I don't know if you're a former student or not. If you are, (and they've not been disbanded), a squad of 22 of them will fire a volley on April 21st after you're gone.

They don't have to.

I'll tell you right now, in the regular military, everybody is replaceable. The RVs cornering a cherished tradition doesn't make them beyond reproach.

Biden is the CIC and POTUS of the greatest country to ever exist. He's a CIV and is not beyond reproach either.

I don't personally have any more or less love for RVs, FDT, Rudders Rangers or any of the other special units in the Corps. Though, even years after both of us walking final review, I'm still expected to hold the RVs in higher regard than other cadets. If I'm the only one that notices this, so be it.
Comeby!
9:53p, 3/8/24
In reply to Hawk2007
What do you think about your old unit?
Hawk2007
4:50a, 3/9/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

What do you think about your old unit?

Mostly good memories but issues as with any family dynamic. Nevertheless, we're closer than most outfit classes from our time. We were a good class though, and I say that based upon the first and second hand stories from buddy chats and reading class dynamics from this place. I'll put it to you this way, if the tradition of marrying and burying you is the standard, we're doing fine. Though, no burials... Yet.
Hawk2007
4:55a, 3/9/24
Also, if you all want to label me as a jaded former cadet, I don't really care. I need the Corps to develop future military officers of tomorrow... I'm not anti-D&C, but I don't need it for people to play military for four years.

I also don't want us to be carbon copies of academy grads.
Aggie Therapist
5:03a, 3/9/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Well said. I'm close with my fish buddies.

But way closer with my Army buddies and have buried too many of them.
Hawk2007
5:18a, 3/9/24
Aggie Therapist said:

Well said. I'm close with my fish buddies.

But way closer with my Army buddies and have buried too many of them.

Same... Though office work right now :/.
Tom Kazansky 2012
7:45a, 3/9/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Hawk2007 said:

Also, if you all want to label me as a jaded former cadet, I don't really care. I need the Corps to develop future military officers of tomorrow... I'm not anti-D&C, but I don't need it for people to play military for four years.

Do they not develop them right now?

Which outfit were you in?
Comeby!
11:23a, 3/9/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Hawk2007 said:

It really doesn't matter what you or I think/need the corps for. I think it does need to serve D&C. I would take it a step further and say we need the corps more for D&C than for contract cadets. This being based on the fact that there are more D&C leaders coming into the private sector than the corps puts out officers in the military.
Hawk2007
11:27a, 3/9/24
In reply to Tom Kazansky 2012
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

No idea. I have largely stayed out of the corps and a&m political scene since I left.

Though, I do notice a trend with Ags and ol' Ags having a hard, hard case of nostalgia when it comes to the Corps. Personally, I enjoyed my time in the corps, but that was a while ago.

Many want the Corps to be exactly how they remember it and what they went through. That'll get you killed if you do things the way they've always been done.
Tom Kazansky 2012
11:35a, 3/9/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Hawk2007 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

No idea. I have largely stayed out of the corps and a&m political scene since I left.

Though, I do notice a trend with Ags and ol' Ags having a hard, hard case of nostalgia when it comes to the Corps. Personally, I enjoyed my time in the corps, but that was a while ago.

Many want the Corps to be exactly how they remember it and what they went through. That'll get you killed if you do things the way they've always been done.

This is the type of overgeneralization only a certain professional talent could muster.

You're an officer huh?
Aggie Therapist
12:12p, 3/9/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

Hawk2007 said:

It really doesn't matter what you or I think/need the corps for. I think it does need to serve D&C. I would take it a step further and say we need the corps more for D&C than for contract cadets. This being based on the fact that there are more D&C leaders coming into the private sector than the corps puts out officers in the military.

Both D&C and Contracts are needed in my eyes.

Look at our 18-22 year olds in 2024, softies. I'm not sure if some of those kids find military life appealing.
Comeby!
12:32p, 3/9/24
Agree on both are needed.

As far as softies. I'm not so sure. The skills we needed back in the day to survive are not the exact same needed today. I had 8 white belts stay at my house last night.
Aggie Therapist
12:51p, 3/9/24
In reply to Comeby!
Well thats good to know.

I just hope kids don't become disenfranchised with serving or wanting military structure because our society's values in 2024 are all over the place.

I am glad the Corps is still "cool" and not being forgotten.
Hawk2007
1:40p, 3/9/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

As far as softies. I'm not so sure. The skills we needed back in the day to survive are not the exact same needed today. I had 8 white belts stay at my house last night.

Are said 8 white belts planning to punch when/if the commandant goes through with said changes?

I read that open letter response from the parent and think it's an empty threat with the 400 cadets planning to exit.
Hawk2007
1:50p, 3/9/24
In reply to Tom Kazansky 2012
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Hawk2007 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

This is the type of overgeneralization only a certain professional talent could muster.

You're an officer huh?

I've decided to keep my mouth shut got opsec, as well as, TexAgs not being the right venue to have this conversation. I'm guessing this sub has its own culture just like F16 and F5 have their own.

I can 100% assure you I will never return to A&M for a job or to advise. I moved on from the place. Fond memories for sure, and already a few TDYs there, but I turned down the hot fill for the most recent one (didn't like the guy I'd have to go with... He's neither a whorn nor Aggie nor anything... Worthless individual).

I will say, if you want a "yes-man", you absolutely are choosing the wrong guy. I realize some jobs and roles need that.
Tom Kazansky 2012
4:20p, 3/9/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Hawk2007 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Hawk2007 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

You're an officer huh?

I've decided to keep my mouth shut got opsec, as well as, TexAgs not being the right venue to have this conversation. I'm guessing this sub has its own culture just like F16 and F5 have their own.

I can 100% assure you I will never return to A&M for a job or to advise. I moved on from the place. Fond memories for sure, and already a few TDYs there, but I turned down the hot fill for the most recent one (didn't like the guy I'd have to go with... He's neither a whorn nor Aggie nor anything... Worthless individual).

I will say, if you want a "yes-man", you absolutely are choosing the wrong guy. I realize some jobs and roles need that.

I'm just ribbing ya.

The biggest misconception (or gaslighting) about former cadets that oppose the fish brigade and all the stupid paths forward put out by our current commandant is that we don't want change.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

We want change…. But we just don't think copying service academies with all their warts and taking recruiting advice from the military (which is absolutely failing out loud in recruiting themselves) is a wise move.

Also these changes put forth by the commandant have zero to do with training more or better officers. It's done to get kids to stay in the corps once they get here, and it won't even accomplish that.
Comeby!
5:20p, 3/9/24
In reply to Hawk2007
Hawk2007 said:

Comeby! said:

Are said 8 white belts planning to punch when/if the commandant goes through with said changes?

I read that open letter response from the parent and think it's an empty threat with the 400 cadets planning to exit.

I did not directly ask them that but I can tell you 100% of them were not on board with the commandants original plan.
OldArmyCT
4:23p, 3/11/24
Y'all do know the commandant was never a fish, right?
Tom Kazansky 2012
5:06p, 3/11/24
In reply to OldArmyCT
OldArmyCT said:

That's the most ridiculous part of all this. Friggin frogs.
Jetpilot86
6:06p, 3/11/24
In reply to OldArmyCT
That was so 30 pages ago.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
1:30p, 3/16/24
In reply to OldArmyCT
OldArmyCT said:

Wonder if he was in any Corps organizations (PMC, RVs, Rudders, etc…)
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings