Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Go to salsa recipe

4,991 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by StinkyPinky
option short side
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As the title states. Plan on going to HEB tomorrow morning and looking to make a medium heat salsa.
superunknown
AG
duge60
Mateos salsa at HEB
BurnetAggie99
Stuff has way to much cumin
Bruce Almighty
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Stuff has way to much cumin
I'm not a fan either. The red wine vinegar they put in it is off-putting.
Hwy30East

Max Power
AG
I have three I keep in rotation depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Standard - just blend everything, no cooking
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
Half a small white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Serrano peppers
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Chipotle salsa
28 oz fire roasted tomatoes
1 small can chipotle peppers
Half a small white onion roasted
3 cloves roasted garlic
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Tomatillo avocado salsa
1 pound tomatillos roasted
Half of one small white onion roasted
2 cloves roasted garlic
3 Serrano peppers roasted
1 large avocado
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Max Power said:

Half a small white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Serrano peppers
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Basically mine, except I'll use 6 or so Roma/plum tomatoes instead of the canned. I'll also add half as many (3) tomatillos. I like that the pectin in the tomatillos will thicken the salsa even if you blend the **** out of everything. Season with S&P and a little cumin.

Max Power
AG
That's a good idea as this one can separate just a little bit,I'll try to add some tomatillos next time. I stick with canned tomatoes because they're consistent year round.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
You'll still get a little separation but not nearly as much. And with the tomatoes, if not in season, I may need to add a little sugar to get that ripe sweetness. Otherwise, I'll use the canned from time to time if I can't get romas or plums. Other tomatoes are just too watery and just don't bring the flavor
Martin Cash
AG
HEB? Save yourself some trouble and pick up a tub of Julio's.
BurnetAggie99
If you're looking for a good store bought salsa on the fly the Salsa De Leon is really good. Folks support Aggies and they are from Canyon Lake, TX. It can be found in most HEB's in the Texas section
FIDO*98*
AG
I'll take halved Roma tomatoes, sliced onions, garlic, and fresh jalapenos and drizzle with some neutral oil. Throw them on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast at 450 for about 30 mins. After they char up a little everything goes into a food processor with salt, fresh lime juice, and cilantro.

Leeman
Friend when I lived in a dorm 30 years ago passed this treasure along. Simple but tasty.

1 large can of whole pealed tomatoes drained
1 can of hot rotel
1 small can of pickled jalpenos (how much it up to you)
~1 tablespoon of veggie oil

Blend in a blender. Sit in fridge for a few hours. Enjoy !
bigtruckguy3500
Max Power said:

Half a small white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Serrano peppers
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

How long does this last in the fridge? Does this freeze and thaw out pretty well? Or does it separate too much?

Thinking about starting to make more of my own, but want something I can make in large batches to last me 2-3 weeks. Either by freezing, or just won't spoil in the fridge that quickly.
Max Power
AG
That amount lasts my family about 2 weeks generally. Never tried to freeze it but I'm sure it's fine to do so. The separation isn't crazy, just need to stir it up before serving. I'm sure guidelines probably say to eat it within a week but I've never had an issue eating it up to 2 weeks. You could bump up the salt or lime juice if you have any food safety concerns. You could probably go up to 1.5 tsp kosher salt and it would be fine, I wouldn't go over 1 tsp if using table salt.

You can also take this recipe and pour it into a hot pan with some oil and make cooked salsa. I would just hold off on adding the cilantro until it's cooled off.
Gilligan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I'll take halved Roma tomatoes, sliced onions, garlic, and fresh jalapenos and drizzle with some neutral oil. Throw them on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast at 450 for about 30 mins. After they char up a little everything goes into a food processor with salt, fresh lime juice, and cilantro.

In what quantities / proportions?

Neutral oil like grapeseed?

serve warm or better sitting for a few hours / overnight?
AggieOO
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Max Power said:

Half a small white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Serrano peppers
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

How long does this last in the fridge? Does this freeze and thaw out pretty well? Or does it separate too much?

Thinking about starting to make more of my own, but want something I can make in large batches to last me 2-3 weeks. Either by freezing, or just won't spoil in the fridge that quickly.
this is similar to mine, except i use a 14oz can of tomatoes and 3-4 Roma tomatoes. If you freeze, it will separate and be super watery, unfortunately.
B-1 83
AG
My mother in law makes this every Monday morning, religiously. It's not your "typical restaurant salsa" but one she and her mom (and likely her mom) have made forever and use a lot of

4 ripe Roma tomatoes
4 tomatillos
1-2 Serrano peppers*
A thin slice of onion
1 or 2 garlic cloves

Put it all in a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, simmer 20 minutes. Strain everything and throw in a blender**with a good squeeze of fresh lime and salt to taste.

*one is usually plenty, but when in doubt, throw the other in or cut it in half and put it in the jar when done

**don't ask how abuelita "blended" it.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
FIDO*98*
AG
I use about 8 Roma tomatoes to 1 medium onion and 4-6 cloves of garlic. Jalapenos vary so much in heat level I usually buy about 4 and cut off a piece to taste. Sometimes one will do it, usually 2-3. It's great warm, room temp, or cold. I usually warm it with food and room temp or cold with tostadas.
BurnetAggie99
If want to try a different style of salsa make some Pasilla de Oaxaca Salsa. It's salsa that's served in Oaxacan region.

https://spicetrekkers.com/recipes/salsa-de-pasilla-de-oaxaca
option short side
AG
Max Power said:

Half a small white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Serrano peppers
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Chipotle salsa
3 cloves roasted garlic
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Tomatillo avocado salsa
2 cloves roasted garlic
1 large avocado
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Defintely going to try your standard.

Thanks
investorAg83
AG
Into the food processor:

4 quartered tomatoes
One red onion
3 jalapeños (include however many seeds you want for spice)
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup cilantro
3 tbsp lime juice
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt

Blend

Then add small can of green chilis
15 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes

Blend it until you're happy with the texture.
option short side
AG
investorAg83 said:

Into the food processor:

4 quartered tomatoes
One red onion
3 jalapeños (include however many seeds you want for spice)
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup cilantro
3 tbsp lime juice
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt

Blend

Then add small can of green chilis
15 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes

Blend it until you're happy with the texture.

Red onion… thats interesting. Will defintely have to try that.
Big Al 1992
AG
Tried your chipotle salsa watching the Astros this afternoon - very very good !
Max Power
AG
Good to hear, some people might think a whole can of chipotle peppers would be too spicy but it's really not at all. It took a few times to get that one right. That's the one I generally make in the winter, it's nice and smoky which helps to cope with the snow on the ground.

I made a batch of the tomatillo avocado salsa this morning since the grocery store had some decent tomatillos. That's the salsa my daughter likes the most, we were both bummed when we realized there were no tortilla chips in the house at lunchtime. The one bad thing about it is that it's dependent upon whether or not the store has usable tomatillos and sometimes they just don't have ones that are good enough. I know that canned tomatillos exist but I've never seen them here in the Midwest.
Matsui
AG
Excellent thread!
joemeister
AG
Made a batch of the chipotle salsa this evening. It's great, thanks for posting it.
5StarShield
AG
Hwy30East said:

This is a good recipe. My son and I have been making this recipe but adding 2 habenero peppers and a serrano pepper. (along wtih 5-10 jalapenos). Haven't found anyone that doesn't like it yet.
option short side
AG
Max Power said:

Half a small white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Serrano peppers
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Chipotle salsa
3 cloves roasted garlic
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Tomatillo avocado salsa
2 cloves roasted garlic
1 large avocado
Juice of one lime
Cilantro to taste
1 tsp salt

Tried chipolte salsa today. Was thinking it was going to have not as much heat as i like. Boy was I wrong. That sucker had a great kick to it
Max Power
AG
I was going to make a batch of avocado/tomatillo salsa this weekend and they didn't have any avocados to my liking. For some reason I've never just made straight up tomatillo salsa before so I decided to just go with that. Why have I never just done that before? Tomatillo salsa > all the tomato salsas I've made. Get a good char on the tomatillos and the onion, this will be my go-to as long as I can find decent tomatillos.

Living in the midwest I once again had to explain to the cashier what tomatillos are, even though they regularly have them in stock. I normally roll through self check out but had too many items for that.
StinkyPinky
AG
Max Power said:

I was going to make a batch of avocado/tomatillo salsa this weekend and they didn't have any avocados to my liking. For some reason I've never just made straight up tomatillo salsa before so I decided to just go with that. Why have I never just done that before? Tomatillo salsa > all the tomato salsas I've made. Get a good char on the tomatillos and the onion, this will be my go-to as long as I can find decent tomatillos.

Living in the midwest I once again had to explain to the cashier what tomatillos are, even though they regularly have them in stock. I normally roll through self check out but had too many items for that.
Haha, same. I live in Minnesota and they always seem to confuse the cashier and no doubt start to look them up until I tell them what they arr
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.