Grits
2,934 Views | 23 Replies
Tanker123
1:05p, 2/20/24
Any fans of grits? I like putting bits of bacon, cheddar cheese, and scrambled eggs in my bowl of grits. Then I add Tony Chachare's Seasoning to it and Tabasco Sauce. I have never had shrimp and grits. I might try that one day.
WES2006AG
2:13p, 2/20/24
I only like grits if they are about 75% cheese.
DiskoTroop
3:02p, 2/20/24
My recipe for polenta, but sub grits and any cheese you may want…

1 cup polenta
3 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
pinch salt
3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese

Additional cheese for table

Bring liquid and salt to a boil. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes or so or until creamy. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Stir in 3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese just before removing from heat.
Tanker123
3:09p, 2/20/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

My recipe for polenta, but sub grits and any cheese you may want…

1 cup polenta
3 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
pinch salt
3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese

Additional cheese for table

Bring liquid and salt to a boil. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes or so or until creamy. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Stir in 3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese just before removing from heat.
I have never had asiago cheese. I should try it. The recipe looks good. I know how it would taste if not for the cheese.
DiskoTroop
4:03p, 2/20/24
Asiago I find is a tad sharper than parm, Romano or grana padano. Italian families usually have a loyalty to one or the other depending on what was available in their town. My great grandparents had Asiago, so that's my family's go-to, but any of the other cheeses mentioned above would work just fine.

Or cheddar for that matter.

My mom (the non-Italian side of the family) does a grit casserole that's essentially this but with garlic, velveeta, an egg or two and then all mixed and baked to doneness. Comes out fluffy like a souffle.
Tanker123
4:50p, 2/20/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

Asiago I find is a tad sharper than parm, Romano or grana padano. Italian families usually have a loyalty to one or the other depending on what was available in their town. My great grandparents had Asiago, so that's my family's go-to, but any of the other cheeses mentioned above would work just fine.

Or cheddar for that matter.

My mom (the non-Italian side of the family) does a grit casserole that's essentially this but with garlic, velveeta, an egg or two and then all mixed and baked to doneness. Comes out fluffy like a souffle.
Sounds like a cooking family.
EclipseAg
4:52p, 2/20/24
In reply to Tanker123
Tanker123 said:

I have never had shrimp and grits. I might try that one day.
A good shrimp and grits -- like you might find in Charleston -- is amazing.
Tanker123
5:33p, 2/20/24
In reply to EclipseAg
EclipseAg said:

Tanker123 said:

I am going to google Emeril Lagasse Shrimp and Grits Recipe and make it tonight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up his recipe. It has way too many ingredients. Off the top of my head like 30 of them.
-
I made shrimp and grits, but the flavor was too robust. I need to tamp down on the seasonings. I learned a lesson. It does not take much to flavor grits.
HtownAg92
9:45a, 2/21/24
In reply to EclipseAg
EclipseAg said:

Tanker123 said:

The first meal I ever had in Charleston was Shellfish over Grits at Magnolia. Incredible.

Tanker123
5:02p, 2/21/24
In reply to HtownAg92
HtownAg92 said:

EclipseAg said:

Tanker123 said:

The first meal I ever had in Charleston was Shellfish over Grits at Magnolia. Incredible.

Thank you. Charleston is a cool city. It is pedestrian friendly, and every block seems to have the aroma of different fares wafting in the air.
Rexter
7:18p, 2/21/24
Medium thickness…not runny or dry
Salt and pepper
Grated cheddar
Finely diced sausage patties

Use dry toast as a sooon
FIDO*98*
7:30p, 2/21/24
In reply to Tanker123
I love grits. I thinks it's worth ordering (can't find good grits and most HEBs, ymmv) better quality stone ground grits off Amazon. Instant grits and polenta can work in a pinch, but won't have the same flavor and texture.

Also, cooking liquids makes a huge impact on the final result. I prefer not to use stock for things like shrimp and grits or breakfast grits. Water is a better choice so the flavor of the grits comes through with maybe a touch of cream. On the other hand stock is great for grits served with something like braised beef. Either option, don't hold back on the butter

Try serving grits with Carne Guisada sometime. Thank me later
superunknown
9:08p, 2/21/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
Can confirm. Carne guisada on grits slaps.

Opinions on bulk bin stone ground stuff you'd see at Sprouts/Whole Foods? Better than typical store offerings or the same?
southernboy1
9:45p, 2/21/24
Anyone ever try lelitka? Pretty much the Polish version of boudin.
Tanker123
11:07p, 2/21/24
I started to like grits in the army because the officers eat last, thus I like easy to eat food because of time constraints. When we were served pancakes, I put scrambled eggs and bacon to make a taco. I still eat it that way now.
Slicer97
8:52a, 2/22/24
Dice 2 slices of thick cut bacon. Cook in pot until it hits the chewy stage, then remove from pot. 1/4 cup each dice onion, red bell pepper, and poblano. Sautee that in the grease until it looks right. Add 1 large clove of garlic, diced. Cook 5 minutes.

Add 2 cups each whole milk and chicken bone broth. Add the bacon bits back in with a healthy pinch of dried thyme. Bring to a boil. Add the grits, lower to a simmer, and stir occasionally until done. Once done, add a heaping tbsp of butter and stir. Stir in 1/2 to 2/3 cup of shredded smoked gouda.

Take however much thawed shrimp you want (I like 10/13s for this) and season on both sides with Old Bay, Melt some clarified butter in a skillet. Sautee until almost done (2~3 minutes). Take skillet off the heat (or just kill the flame if you're using gas) and add about 1/3 a cup of bourbon and immediately hit it with a stick lighter. Move on and off the heat until the flame dies out, occasionally stirring the shrimp.

Plate the shrimp and grits along with some of the Old Bay bourbon butter sauce and sprinkle lightly with chopped scallions.

Oh, and add some freshly ground black pepper at each stage of cooking.
Tanker123
11:01a, 2/22/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
FIDO*98* said:

I love grits. I thinks it's worth ordering (can't find good grits and most HEBs, ymmv) better quality stone ground grits off Amazon. Instant grits and polenta can work in a pinch, but won't have the same flavor and texture.

Also, cooking liquids makes a huge impact on the final result. I prefer not to use stock for things like shrimp and grits or breakfast grits. Water is a better choice so the flavor of the grits comes through with maybe a touch of cream. On the other hand stock is great for grits served with something like braised beef. Either option, don't hold back on the butter

Try serving grits with Carne Guisada sometime. Thank me later

I found out it is easy to overpower grits with seasoning.
FIDO*98*
11:39a, 2/22/24
In reply to superunknown
superunknown said:

Can confirm. Carne guisada on grits slaps.

Opinions on bulk bin stone ground stuff you'd see at Sprouts/Whole Foods? Better than typical store offerings or the same?

I've never bought them from the bulk container, so I have no experience. Look at the coloring. If it is uniform in color and size, they're probably not as good as a specialty mill.

I'm going to try these next time I need grits. The different colors should make for some interesting presentations

https://bartonspringsmill.com/collections/heirloom-corn/products/stone-ground-grits

Tanker123
6:46p, 2/22/24
I am going to experiment with shrimp and grits for my wife's dinner:

- Heavy cream
- Milk
- Grits
- Butter
- Oregano
- Basil
- Shrimp
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaf
- Garlic
- Peas
- Brie cheese
- White wine

Perhaps I will get laid. Perhaps not.
Slicer97
8:18p, 2/22/24
In reply to Tanker123
You won't.

Leave off those last 3 and your fortunes could change. But uh, don't like hold your breath or anything.

I'd probably save the basil for something else as well.
Martin Cash
8:24p, 2/22/24
Regular or al dente?
Danger Mouse
9:24a, 3/4/24
My general recipe is to add chicken stock, milk (or cream), salt, pepper, and butter.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
schmellba99
2:00p, 3/8/24
In reply to EclipseAg
EclipseAg said:

Tanker123 said:

When done right, shrimp and grits is among my top 5 or so favorite meals. But it has to be done right.
schmellba99
2:03p, 3/8/24
Stone ground, always. Switched over to stone ground years and years ago and it definitely makes a difference.

Cooking liquid depends on what you are cooking, as does overall consistency and texture. Don't over season, lots of butter.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings