Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Explain Sous Vide to me…..

3,357 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by L8HIT
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand the principle. It's a water bath, in a sealed environment, that takes food to a temp and holds it there. I'm using my daughter in law's to warm up BBQ, and it seems pretty simple. My vacuum sealer bags say they can be used sous vide, but not over 165, and it got me to wondering if there are others specially designed for higher temps that aren't vacuum seal? Reusable?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I've seen people use ziploc bags for sous vide. As long as there is a good, seal, it shouldn't be problem. 165 is the upper end of sous vide temperatures. Anything higher is usually for vegetables but most everyone I know, including myself, only uses it for meat, poultry, or seafood.

https://sousvidesupreme.com/pages/cooking-guides
htxag09
AG
We use ziploc bags pretty regularly. We just buy freezer bags and don't get knock off brands.

One of our favorite sous vide recipes is for braised short ribs at around 167 for 24 hours. We just double ziploc bag them and haven't had any issues.

We don't do vegetables regularly but have done mushrooms we really liked and think that was over 175.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Any recommendations for sous vide setups? I'm not wanting to spend too much before seeing how much I use it, but I also don't want to buy junk.
TexAg2001
AG
I use an Anova Precision. I got it a 3-4 years ago on sale for around $100. Other than that, I didn't buy anything special. I use freezer bags and set it up in a large pot. It does a great job, but like any new toy, I used it a lot at first and now I only pull it out about once a month.
htxag09
AG
There was a recommendation thread recently. Joule was overwhelming favorite (what I have). Other good option is anova. Really all you need. We eventually also got a large plastic food prep tub. Just easier to clean vs a pot and can do larger cooks.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I have one of the tubs linked below that I purchased to brine turkeys in. Would it work for sous vide? I'm hoping the cooker and bags are all I need

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Container-12-Quart-FG631200CLR/dp/B000VARW8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1WCX87CZPWDR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.acpgMngUWnTSYBkf56FCBbfjiahJfe43a0p2Zqr_A_QVCRXIxRXuw5o21K2yc-5GQiH6DOu-tyhKPJ0fpADiV9MlJ0ztBrZiBiLA3u3fk9sghSmFVvAbNLb01eKWUfcUW_PL6YfaAl9mv2iBTDroVeIP1REIEL0iLVDXPX9-dZPhNq-H9ZqQecPpfey0wx3KEE6D_DWQryhW6nlctb4THA.597U6hXEW_8yVrUbvi70_u8yNp9e846k9FhGXrWQlqM&dib_tag=se&keywords=food%2Bsafe%2Bcontainer&qid=1709304954&sprefix=food%2Bsafe%2Bconta%2Caps%2C374&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
htxag09
AG
Should. May be a little tall which could get the power chord in a bind depending on what sous vide you get.

But just a large pot will work. That's all we used the first several years.
HTownAg98
Depending on the size on what I'm cooking, I use my canning pot.

Someone asked about vegetables. I've done carrots and beets sous vide, and they're excellent; they just take a bit longer. Though you can do it, I'd stay away from green vegetables.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Appreciate the advice
B-1 83
AG
Daughter in law's has its own tub (~12x12x 8 inches tall) with a "hinged" cover that fits around the sous vide mechanism (for lack of a better word). It held a vacuum sealed rack of ribs with no issues Saturday, and a whole bbq chicken last night.
HouseDivided06
AG
I sous vide quite a bit, especially for steaks. I have an Anova and really like it. I started by using ziplock bags and a large pot and now have a vacuum sealer and some different containers and racks. Incredibly versatile. I can even set it out before I go to work, put ice in the water bath to keep it cold, and then start it from my phone 2-4 hours before I get home. I recommend checking out Sous Vide Everything on YouTube. Guga is great. Lots of experiments, but if you go back to some of his earlier videos, you can find a lot of how tos and basics.
chase128
AG
Can't you also use the reusable silicon bags for sous vide? You usually can't get all the air out, but it should still work fine right?
TexAg2001
AG
Those bags should work. It's really hard to get all the air out using bags, but just make sure the meat is completely submerged in the water.

Use the displacement method for getting as much air as possible out of the bag. Here's a site with the basics for doing this: How to Perform the Displacement Method for Sous Vide - Sous Vide Ways
TexAg2001
AG
A lid is useful on longer cooks to lessen the amount of water lost from evaporation and to help maintain an even temp. A lid isn't necessary on shorter cooks (<3 hours-ish).
htxag09
AG
We have plastic balls that just float on the water. No evaporation issues on longer cooks with them.
HTownAg98
Same. I use ping pong balls. Cheap and heat resistant.
Ag_07
AG
We love our sous vide and use it at least 3 times a week.

Makes great food easy and is a life saver for week night meals.

Some our favorite things to do include fried chicken, steaks, and mashed potatoes. Have also used it before for chili and chicken korma bot of which we fantastic.
B-1 83
AG
Woah! Fried chicken? Get it to 160, bread/batter, then quick fry?
Moral High Horse
B-1 83 said:

Woah! Fried chicken? Get it to 160, bread/batter, then quick fry?

You don't go that high, more like 140 but you got to keep it in bath for a couple hours.
SoCalTexAg
AG
While I have yet to try the storage type silicon bags for Sous Vide I've seen others use them successfully. Generally, we just vacuum seal our recipes.
B-1 83
AG
Next question……

Doing steaks for the boys tonight. Do you season before or after sous vide? Do you chefs go to 130 then grill?
HouseDivided06
AG
Before. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Don't put butter or fat in the bag. Seems like it would be good but dilutes the flavor. I do 129 for 2-4 hours, pull it out and pat it dry, then sear in a cast iron with avocado oil.
B-1 83
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Before. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Don't put butter or fat in the bag. Seems like it would be good but dilutes the flavor. I do 129 for 2-4 hours, pull it out and pat it dry, then sear in a cast iron with avocado oil.
Thanks! Throwing them on charcoal tonight. I have failed as a father, and my 40 year son old does not possess a grill of any form. He does now…..it might be a Weber kettle, but he has one.
HouseDivided06
AG
Hey my kettle was one of my favorite grills I ever had. So versatile. Y'all enjoy.
B-1 83
AG
Thank you my friends. Worked like a charm
HTownAg98
B-1 83 said:

HouseDivided06 said:

Thanks! Throwing them on charcoal tonight. I have failed as a father, and my 40 year son old does not possess a grill of any form. He does now…..it might be a Weber kettle, but he has one.

No shame in owning a Weber kettle. You can cook everything from steaks to a brisket in one. There's people that can bbq on them better than people with custom built offsets.
GAC06
AG
That looks good but sous vide helps more with thicker steaks. Next time try some thick filets, they're my favorite for sous vide then searing. Strips too, but ribeyes I prefer to just do direct heat for the most part.
Superdave1993
AG
I copied an ice chest hack that I found online. Took a cheap medium cooler, used a hole saw and drilled out a drink holder in the lid. Insulated, so the cooker does not work that hard and evaporation is not a problem.
Ag_07
AG
Superdave1993 said:

I copied an ice chest hack that I found online. Took a cheap medium cooler, used a hole saw and drilled out a drink holder in the lid. Insulated, so the cooker does not work that hard and evaporation is not a problem.

This method works great especially for bigger cuts like brisket, pork shoulders, etc.

BTW...Sous vide brisket is awesome. No it's not authentic bbq but it's a great way to get good brisket without having to watch and tend a fire all day. Hell you can do it while you're not even home.
AggieBarstool
Best steak I've ever had was a 2" porterhouse from Readfield's, dry-brined overnight, then cooked sous vide for 4 hours the day of the cook. Finished on a 500* grill for about a minute each side (for a nice char) and topped with a homemade garlic rosemary compound better.
L8HIT
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

I have one of the tubs linked below that I purchased to brine turkeys in. Would it work for sous vide? I'm hoping the cooker and bags are all I need

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Container-12-Quart-FG631200CLR/dp/B000VARW8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1WCX87CZPWDR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.acpgMngUWnTSYBkf56FCBbfjiahJfe43a0p2Zqr_A_QVCRXIxRXuw5o21K2yc-5GQiH6DOu-tyhKPJ0fpADiV9MlJ0ztBrZiBiLA3u3fk9sghSmFVvAbNLb01eKWUfcUW_PL6YfaAl9mv2iBTDroVeIP1REIEL0iLVDXPX9-dZPhNq-H9ZqQecPpfey0wx3KEE6D_DWQryhW6nlctb4THA.597U6hXEW_8yVrUbvi70_u8yNp9e846k9FhGXrWQlqM&dib_tag=se&keywords=food%2Bsafe%2Bcontainer&qid=1709304954&sprefix=food%2Bsafe%2Bconta%2Caps%2C374&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

I have something super similar and bought a lid with the perfect cutout for the sous vide to go into. This way, you don't lose water by evaporation and it helps with temps.
L8HIT
AG
I season after patting the meat as dry as possible and then putting it into a searing hot skillet with a smidge of oil or butter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.