Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Korean hot pot and octopus?

2,188 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Ornlu
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

So we're going for Korean hot pot for my birthday and wanted to know how long you should cook baby octopus in a hot pot/bbq place? Last time I cooked for just a minute but it was tough and chewy.. thought someone here might know more..

FIDO*98*
AG
I'll simmer in seasoned water and start sampling at 30-35 minutes if I'm cooking Octopus at home. They usually need a little more time and they still get a trip to the grill plus a quick toss in a pan or on a flat top after dicing before they land on a tortilla. Good luck
studioone
FIDO*98* said:

I'll simmer in seasoned water and start sampling at 30-35 minutes if I'm cooking Octopus at home. They usually need a little more time and they still get a trip to the grill plus a quick toss in a pan or on a flat top after dicing before they land on a tortilla. Good luck
umm... not sure if we're talking the same process.... I've seen videos for hotpot and people were cooking anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes... I was wondering if anyone has cooked octopus in under 5 minutes or so...

apparently if you cook it just for a few minutes its fine .. then it gets tough as all get out.... then after about 30 minutes its tender again....

I've seen videos of people throwing them on rocks at the beach to tenderize them......

so im trying to learn the best way to cook an octopus.

FIDO*98*
AG
I know what a hot pot is and simmering is simmering regardless of the liquid medium. Some people (and cultures) like a really chewy texture. You can soak it in milk and beat it with a mallet, but nothing will tenderize like a longer simmer
studioone
FIDO*98* said:

I know what a hot pot is and simmering is simmering regardless of the liquid medium. Some people (and cultures) like a really chewy texture. You can soak it in milk and beat it with a mallet, but nothing will tenderize like a longer simmer
didnt mean to imply...

I just thought you might be cooking Italian style vs Korean... one is 30 min and one is 30 sec.
HTownAg98
I've heard of cooking squid quickly to keep it tender, or cooking it a long time to make it tender again. I've never heard of that with octopus. I've always cooked octopus a long time then flash grill it.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
studioone said:

So we're going for Korean hot pot for my birthday and wanted to know how long you should cook baby octopus in a hot pot/bbq place? Last time I cooked for just a minute but it was tough and chewy.. thought someone here might know more..

Should be blanched, like a quick dip…nothing longer
CDub06
AG
I had a 10 hour layover in Seoul, so I went on an excursion down to the fish market. I was with some hippie documentary maker, so I let him call the shots on lunch. They dropped an octopus for maybe 30 seconds and served it to us. It's tentacles were still moving. Literally wrapping around the chopsticks. It was super chewy.

And I've never been sicker than I was the day after that.
Snowball
AG
I typically throw it on the grill instead of the hot pot if that's an option. Some of the KBBQ/Hot pot places have both on the table. Be sure to ask for a new grill grate and oil it so it doesnt stick.
sanitariex
AG
CDub06 said:

I had a 10 hour layover in Seoul, so I went on an excursion down to the fish market. I was with some hippie documentary maker, so I let him call the shots on lunch. They dropped an octopus for maybe 30 seconds and served it to us. It's tentacles were still moving. Literally wrapping around the chopsticks. It was super chewy.

bmc13
AG
HtownAg92
AG
Seven Costanza
AG
CDub06 said:

ValleyRatAg
AG
Nope
Mark Fairchild
AG
Just INSANELY GROSS!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Why do people think it's ok to yuck someone's yum?
Aggie Therapist
AG
I've been to multiple open air South Korean fish markets when I was stationed at Camp Casey.

Hell nah…….I don't eat that *****

Korean Fried Chicken and Korean BBQ is my limits
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
Furlock Bones
AG
Octopus is excellent. But, as mentioned, it usually needs to be cooked for quite awhile to be tender. Other cultures enjoy chewy things though.
CDub06
AG
Seven Costanza said:

CDub06 said:

Yep, basically that one.
bularry
I love octopus. Pappas has a killer dish on the menu right now
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah no. I have one rule. If it's still moving I'm not eating it.

Beyond that I'm game for most anything.
FarmerJohn
AG
Never go with a hippie to a second location.
Ornlu
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Why do people think it's ok to yuck someone's yum?

How DARE someone have opinions that I disagree with!!1!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.