Wacha pitching tonight at NYM

723 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Sean98
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm about to start watching off of my DVR. Should be an interesting evening. 51F at game time with the wind blowing in from left at 26 mpg gusting to 36 mph. It's making me nostalgic for Candlestick!
MINNESOTAAGGIE
IP H R ER BB SO
4.0 3 2 2 5 10

High number of walks for Wacha, but damn 10 Ks in 4 innings is awesome!

Kid has a bright future in the bigs!!!

[This message has been edited by MINNESOTAAGGIE (edited 4/23/2014 8:40p).]

[This message has been edited by MINNESOTAAGGIE (edited 4/23/2014 8:40p).]
Sean98
AG
It was a struggle for him tonight. But the real story again is that StL is NOT scoring runs for him. 10 total runs in 5 starts.
dabo man
AG
Wacha struck out the first ten he faced tonight, but had a high pitch count going all night. He developed a nasty curve in the off-season, and he threw it a lot tonight. It was really working well for him.

The Cards TV guys commented at the top of the 4th that someone had been looking at Wacha's right hand after he finished pitching the 3rd. They speculated that he might be developing a blister by throwing so many more curves than normal. I have no idea if they were right, but he couldn't throw strikes in the 4th.

Both runs were walked in. The 2nd of these walks was to the pitcher.
MMantle
AG
He struck out 10 in a row???
UncleDave
The first 10 outs were k's. Walks and hits were mixed in with them.
W
AG
the Cardinals have gotten rid of too many of their hired gun sluggers. The one left is old
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
The first 10 outs were k's. Walks and hits were mixed in with them.

There was a fielder's choice groundout for out #10. He then struck out Niese for strikeout #10.

[This message has been edited by Mr.Ackar07 (edited 4/24/2014 9:42a).]
Sean98
AG
Yep. 11th pitcher in the modern era to strike out the first 9 hitters. Then a groundout, then another K.

My common concern has been that he's not had a consistent 3rd pitch but last night the curveball was just NASTY (I watched a partial replay of the game this morning). But his fastball/change are so good, he just needs something to change the angle/eye of the hitters. He had 2 Ks looking on the curve last night and they were just knee bucklers. (of course last game he gave up a gopher ball off the deuce.)

When you have a pitch working it's hard to not go to it too often. He's a young pitcher. Yadier/Matheny need to call his pitches to keep him from falling in love with something on a given night.

Kids stuff is just as nasty as can be. But he's still learning how to mix in his expanding repertoire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.