How do we make Blue Bell more routy?

4,620 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Tanya 93
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We didn't win that Super at Olsen.

Plus we're in the SEC, going .500 isn't going to get anybody excited.

You can't live off of the past in the Big XII. You aren't going to get those bumps when BU or the sips are in town.

dabo man
AG
Olsen Field was going downhill long before we left the Big 12. When I sat upstairs at Olsen, we made fun of the Hellraisers and tu's fan base in general for being old farts following a college team. Well, I haven't sat upstairs since 2002, but it seems like we are now the ones with few students and the aging fan base.
ColoradoMooseHerd
If you look at the attendance drop it appears to be related to the way $Bill treated the baseball fans. Right or Wrong, $Bill focused more on making money than putting people in the stands. Typically you want both, but he was willing to lose fans to make more money.
Tanya 93
Free BB every time the crowd rattles a pitcher enough to walk the bases loaded.
Free Olsen Field bottle opener key chains when they sweep a series. That was one of the best giveaways ever.
Do competitions, especially with kids or students, between every inning.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
If you look at the attendance drop it appears to be related to the way $Bill treated the baseball fans. Right or Wrong, $Bill focused more on making money than putting people in the stands. Typically you want both, but he was willing to lose fans to make more money.

I remember looking at all the empty seats for our last couple of games in hosted regionals in 2007 and 2008 and thinking something had changed. Old bats, more offense, lots of games won. Around 3800 fans when the capacity was still 8000.

I know people want one more thing to pin on Childress, but this started before new bats and it started way before the move to the SEC. The first blow was the way Johnson was fired. That got rid of some regulars. That was followed by a big increase in season ticket prices and parking, which based on Texags posting evidence, got rid of some more regulars. And finally, the change to BBP dropped capacity in favor of two gimmick hills. It increased their bottom line in terms of sold, but empty, box seats but pushed general admission upstairs more toward a mixed crowd than wall to wall students.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 6/17/2014 2:23p).]
twk
AG
There were a surprising number of empty seats at the 2003 regional, a significant drop off from '98 and '99. Regular season attendance was quite good up to that point, but the attendance at that regional shocked me, and that was before Byrne raised prices. So, while I'm sure the hike in prices played a significant role, there seemed to be other factors at play as well.
spanky
AG
Open Aggie Alley back up. I'll bring the 12th Van to every game with a roof deck on top. Let me raise a free beer flag on the flagpole. Free beer until the keg is floated.

How does that sound?
twk
AG
quote:
Open Aggie Alley back up
Aggie Alley is being eaten up by the Rec Center expansion. The building will almost run up to the fence.
spanky
AG
So you're saying the short bus will still fit?

Yeah, I know its dead...onto the train/party station in right field
Aftermath
AG
Take a page out of the Ole miss playbook. Outfield ,fowl pole to foul pole is open seating Berm with BBQ pits and even a scoreboard on the back of the fence. they average 10000 a game. Beer is allowed out there and it is one BIG tailgate. The town is much smaller that College Station as is the student body. Every game is an event...even tough to get hotel rooms. I remember not too long ago when our outfield was the best seat!!
Captain Pablo
AG
Outfield at Olsen unavailable

So, better move on to plan B
BBGigem
AG
Win. That will do it. Football always put a lot of people in the seats and sold out some big games but it did not sell out season tickets until we won. Sure JFF, Sumlin and the SEC was part of it. But if we fell flat in the first 2 years being in SEC, I highly doubt the season would be a sell out and the contruction would be going on at Kyle. If the team starts winning more and vying for SEC championship along with hosting regionals and super regionals, fans will come back. Give them a reason to come and they will come.
spanky
AG
Season ticket sales are at all time high right now btw. Is it the wrong fans showing up or do we need a place for the rowdy fan. I say bikini only berm
Buford T. Justice
AG
It's time for us to lose the clown show, and focus on how our team plays, rather than trying to "intimidate" the opposing team.

That tired act has no place in today's game, and never should have had one in previous eras.

TexasRebel
AG
So you like to watch golf?
Tex100
AG
If the demand is there I would say have a rule that says you can't renew your seats if they aren't filled X% of games. If demand is not there you need the funds.

I always try and have someone in my seats. Our kids deserve to have fans there.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Season ticket sales are at all time high right now btw

I have a hard time believing that stat is accurate. I've been in the reserved section above the visitor's dugout for 24 years and last season was the first time visiting fans from various teams sat close to us in our section. The season tickets went unsold and visiting fans scooped them up as single game tickets. We had the same people in our section for the better part of 20 years. In the past 3-4 years, everybody around us have left for various reasons. There are only a few oldtimers around me these days. K-Man left when they moved him without notifying him. Others left for the same reason.

Olsen Field used to be the hands-down best college baseball environment in the nation. The changes aren't related to wins-losses, but rather the ill-fated decision to remove 1000+ prime student and reserved seats for about 100 premium seats, suites, etc. and tell the displaced to go sit on some grass in the outfield. The admin also did everything in their power to kill Aggie Alley and they were effective in that venture.

Yeah, the environment is now "average" and look no further than the athletic administration for the reasons why.
ColoradoMooseHerd
GEA89'

Obviously you are not a baseball fan and have not attended games in a really long time. Even when we were winning regionals and going to the CWS the attendance was down. This is not an issue with the coach eventhough and I know you like to make a thread about it.
spanky
AG
Hop, what section are you referencing? I believe some tix by the visiting dugout weren't offered as single game tix with the initial offering but rather offered the week of the games. Of course, none of this is advertised, and I'm not sure who A&M holds these tix for originally (staff, visitors, etc.). I don't think anything much was available for single game on the lower level. I looked when they went live. For LSU, it was GA only

The high season tix number info came from Noel who us no longer with us.
spanky
AG
The visitor teams sweeping in and buying visitor tix as single game tix on the lower level just isn't true. They were either offered those from the athletic dept., or they bought from resellers of season tix.
agforlife97
AG
quote:
In the past 3-4 years, everybody around us have left for various reasons. There are only a few oldtimers around me these days.

I'm one of them, we had 4 tickets in 104 for over 20 years. The new bats coupled with constant disappointment did us in.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
I'm one of them, we had 4 tickets in 104 for over 20 years. The new bats coupled with constant disappointment did us in.

What year did you stop buying?
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
In the past 3-4 years, everybody around us have left for various reasons. There are only a few oldtimers around me these days.

Your parents left?

I think people bought our old seats. But they were really good.
agforlife97
AG
Yep.
ColoradoMooseHerd
What year?
Tanya 93
quote:
What year?

I am 99% sure his parents were there last year.
agforlife97
AG
They dropped this year (2), I dropped mine the year before(2). I was somewhat hopeful after 2011 that we were turning things around, but after 2012-13, it was clear to me that 2011 was as much luck as anything, and frankly, the college game bores me right now.
jkag89
quote:
I think people bought our old seats. But they were really good.

Your three seats were taken.

The fact it is difficult for me to make many games now is having me reconsidering season tickets and just purchasing through Flash Seats. Between family and work I only made two SEC games this year.

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 6/23/2014 3:32p).]
GEA89
AG
Hey Hop, ColoradoMoosehead says I haven't been to A&M games in a really long time. Better not count on seeing me next year.
ColoradoMooseHerd
GEA
Then if you are attending games often and never realized the change in atmosphere years ago, then you missed out on a lot.
Kendall Rogers
AG
The student section at A&M is an afterthought, it's a non factor. The lack of atmosphere at Olsen had everything to do with that.
Captain Pablo
AG
Can students not attend games now?
Ag 11
AG
quote:
It's not the money

It's that college kids are not into baseball anymore.

It's a slow game that got slower in 2011 and young people just aren't into that. In fact, old people are about to not be into if the game doesn't pick up the pace.

BBCOR bats have KILLED the excitement among almost everybody but the baseball "purists"

This is absolutely correct. As much as people complain about gorilla ball days, I watch those clips of Aggie Baseball from the '80s & '90s and wish I could have been there. The stands are packed and the fans are loud. It also helps that we had some great teams but man, was Olsen rockin in those days
drodag04
From what I have seen the last two years are a lot of tickets sold but scattered crowds. Still top 10 attendance even reducing seating capacity. LSU series was pretty rowdy I thought, just going to take time I think to bring the hostility with everyone else in conference. Hard for students to get that rowdy mentality while sitting on berms. Also agree with a few here that the small ball era puts a lid on crowd. The long ball brings the noise not this flat sounding fake ping in the new bats.
spanky
AG
Check your email for the baseball gameday survey similar to the one the SEC did for football.

Please beg and plea for some sort of Aggie alley. I don't care if was have to stand on top of the rec or build a train depot. Do it
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.