Activating ESPN app (too often)?

2,104 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Serious Lee
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like I have to activate the ESPN app on my Roku TV too often.

If I go a week or more without using the ESPN app, I have to activate it again. Seems like I should have to just do it once and not have to do it again for months. But, that's not the case.

Maybe ESPN is trying to avoid the situation of tons of devices activated at once because someone (at some time) activated the app on that device?

Anyone else have this annoyance?

(Posted in baseball because that's my primary usage of the ESPN app and I figure others are in the same boat)
Luke The Drifter
AG
Same here and we use YouTubeTV. When I want to watch on Tuesday then again Fri-Sat-Sun, I don't have any issues. But I couldn't watch this past weekend, meaning I hadn't gone to the app since Tuesday of last week. Had to start over from scratch and log in again today. Frustrating, but definitely a First World problem.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Caesar4
AG
ok, thanks. Good to know it's not unique to me. I almost didn't post because indeed it's such a minor issue. Was kind of hoping it was unique to me (and that maybe I could figure out how to mitigate/circumvent it). But, if others are having the same issue, likely it's out of my control.
trouble
AG
When I used Roku, I had the same issue. We got a new TV and it behaves better
Leander - Ag
AG
Crap technology. Happens to me as well
Sea Pony 07
AG
I have to log in if I haven't used the app in a week.
histag10
AG
My LG works fine. My MILs Roku TVs have this issue though
Buford T. Justice
AG
Same here with YouTube tv.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Sea Pony 07
AG
Nm
greg.w.h
AG
I do it more than I want, but ESPN doesn't want you leaving credentials behind for friends…
TubGutStomp
Use Youtube TV as my provider. I have to logout/login every day that I go in to watch SECN+ via the ESPN app. Glad to know others are suffering along with me. I have been trying to troubleshoot it since the season started. Guess I will stop that effort.
milner79
I had the same issue today. It was easy enough to solve, but I don't understand why it happens.

I have a Roku device on my receiver and use YouTube TV as provider (don't ask me why it's set up that way). From the Roku home screen, I go to the ESPN app and find the game.

It is my understanding from previous posts on this board that I have free access to SEC+ because of my YTTV account. What I don't understand (among many things) is why I cannot freely access ESPN+ games in the same manner. Anytime I try to open a random game on ESPN+, I get a screen that tells me I need a monthly subscription.

Any insights on that?
trouble
AG
ESPN+ is a separate subscription service directly from ESPN. It is not included in your TV package.
milner79
Thanks. So SEC+ is included (this I know) ... but ESPN+ is not? I thought they were essentially the same product. I know before YTTV, when I subscribed to ESPN+, SEC+ was included. It confuses me.
Sea Pony 07
AG
milner79 said:

Thanks. So SEC+ is included (this I know) ... but ESPN+ is not? I thought they were essentially the same product. I know before YTTV, when I subscribed to ESPN+, SEC+ was included. It confuses me.

SEC + comes with yttv and other providers, some games may be broadcast on both, but espn + is a separate service that is something like 5-6 bucks a month. Our games, generally speaking, are not on espn + and all SEC home games for all the baseball teams are on SEC+ unless the series is picked up for tv like tomorrow.
RED AG 98
AG
I think it's an intentional change on the ESPN side. My belief is they are requiring more frequent logins now because streaming has completely altered the nature of how we the consumer view "cable" tv.

Most people used to sign up for cable and keep the same service for a very long time. With streaming, however, people start and stop the service all the time, share passwords, login at the hotel or their family member's house, etc. This is their attempt to make sure everyone that gets access to the stream is a current, paid subscriber.
Hehateme1
I've got to log in every game with my YouTubeTv but I am kind of a butt. As soon as I log in with my google account and get verified I log back out, I hate the idea of big tech tracking me.
greg.w.h
AG
Hehateme1 said:

I've got to log in every game with my YouTubeTv but I am kind of a butt. As soon as I log in with my google account and get verified I log back out, I hate the idea of big tech tracking me.
You do you! All smart TVs track usage, too, and sell it to advertisers. My youngest son doesn't want our new LG G3 connected except for occasional updates. I prefer AppleTV anyway so that doesn't bother me, but I think it's funny.
Thisguy1
When I had Suddenlink I'd have to activate almost every time I used the app. Since I moved to YTTV, I couldn't tell you the last time it asked me to.
EMY92
AG
I had to activate before Wednesday's game, but it was the first game I'd watched since the Lamar game, I was out of the country for several weeks.
cypress-ag
AG
I can log on to the ESPN ap in my bedroom, patio and hand held but in my living room I get unauthorized use viewing not allowed in this region. I did this early in the season and had to change my settings on the ap. I deleted it and brought it back with no luck. Tired of this crap. I can watch big 12 baseball, ACC but no SEC games but just in living room.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Just figured I would pile on. The ESPN app is the biggest piece of crap out there. No other service requires you to log back in so frequently, NONE.. And half the time it takes about 10 minutes to get it to actually log you in correctly, get stupid errors that I am not authorized for the content, but I am, and after a couple attempts it finally works. (I have YoutTubTV and pretty much all other services)

End rant
Jimma
I got a new Samsung smart tv and put the espn app on the tv so I wouldn't need to go to my Roku every time. It worked great for football season and then when baseball started I kept getting the activate message. After a dozen tries at trying to activate I ended up getting in touch with Samsung and was told sometime after this past November Samsung tv users were having difficulty getting to the espn app on the Samsung smart tvs. It was suggested that I watch the games via the espn app on a Roku. I went to my old Roku and got on but kept getting the activation message every time I watched a game. My Roku was several years old so I got a newer version and have not had any problems since using the new version. Anyone thinking of getting a Samsung smart tv might want to inquire about using the espn app on it before buying it. The good news is there are apparently work arounds for most things.
greg.w.h
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Just figured I would pile on. The ESPN app is the biggest piece of crap out there. No other service requires you to log back in so frequently, NONE.. And half the time it takes about 10 minutes to get it to actually log you in correctly, get stupid errors that I am not authorized for the content, but I am, and after a couple attempts it finally works. (I have YoutTubTV and pretty much all other services)

End rant
It is a pain, but often it is your provider's authentication causing friction not ESPN. You should call them and have them lead the troubleshooting since they are responsible for authenticating you and granting authorization for various content.

If they give you a bunch of crap tell them to get good.
DoubleC_96Ag
AG
Same problem for me with youtubeTV. Have to login everyday.
Serious Lee
never had any problems with it until tonight. roku and desktop computer would never activate/authorize my login info but phone was okay. seems like its going towards the typical BS of planned obsolescence of older operating systems no longer working/being supported.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.