"I CAN MAKE YOUR HANDS CLAP"

6,551 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by AgRyan04
Anonymous Source
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Is there something else we can play to get the crowd up? That damn thing was played at least 8 times last night...I did quit counting in the 6th inning...and sometimes was played twice during at-bats.

And why are we playing rally sounds when the opposing team is sending a batter to the plate?

I know Rick isn't there anymore. Is NotRick responsible for this?
Gig 'Em
trouble
AG
No, he's not. They haven't been responsible for sound effects or music since Schloss got here.

The chick who was doing it moved on to somewhere else and I can't remember the current chick's name.
Wabs
AG
Don't care, keep winning.
Anonymous Source
S
Wabs said:

I care, because Olsen Field used to be clever. The music was situational and both Rick and NotRick were masters at timing. Now we just say the pitcher's name over and over and over again and play the same bits incessantly.

I hope you're not one of those people who whines about Texas A&M losing what makes it unique, cuz this is a prime example of that.
Gig 'Em
Ags83
AG
Seems like every ballpark plays that. Maybe not that much though. The Rockies play it a few times each game
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Where DD at? Can he come back home?
trouble
AG
Yup.
ensign_beedrill
AG
It's so very annoying. I've stopped clapping. That, and "everybody clap your hands."
jkag89
There is still a lot of clever at Olsen if you would just open your eyes and ears. Still LOUD trumps clever when it comes to supporting a team.
75AG
AG
trouble said:

No, he's not. They haven't been responsible for sound effects or music since Schloss got here.

The chick who was doing it moved on to somewhere else and I can't remember the current chick's name.
current chick needs to up her game, or go. I agree with the OP: our game presentation leaves a lot to be desired. Unless Schloss likes its, then it's fine.
trouble
AG
There's a lot less interaction between the booth and crowd and I don't like that.

I love clever but I agree with jkag, loud is better than clever.
ensign_beedrill
AG
75AG said:

trouble said:

current chick needs to up her game, or go. I agree with the OP: our game presentation leaves a lot to be desired. Unless Schloss likes its, then it's fine.
She did play the toilet flushing sound when the guy finally took the field after being locked in the bathroom, so.... that was gold.
trouble
AG
She was prompted to......by NotRick.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Anonymous Source said:

Wabs said:

I care, because Olsen Field used to be clever. The music was situational and both Rick and NotRick were masters at timing. Now we just say the pitcher's name over and over and over again and play the same bits incessantly.

I hope you're not one of those people who whines about Texas A&M losing what makes it unique, cuz this is a prime example of that.

Yes...it *used* to be clever. Everything has a shelf life, especially in today's "what have you done for me lately" society. One of the things that has plagued A&M athletics...heck, maybe A&M in general...has been our tendency to keep our heads stuck in the stand and refuse to let go of something in the name of "tradition" or "that's the way we've always done it". Not that the songs on the PA will or will not win us championships, but the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

Give Schloss a chance to spice things up and make some positive changes to Olsen. The old Ags screaming at clouds may not like it, but if the players like it, the next generation of fans like it, and the opposing team hates it, then let's go with it. I think we have a nice mix of old Olsen stuff with things that don't make me feel like we're stuck in the '80s or '90s.

Things change - it's called progress. Roll with it and enjoy the winning!!!

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
trouble
AG
To be clever you also have to be quick and loud. It needs to be funny and succinct and you need to make yourself heard.

That's lacking these days so we need noise.
trip98
AG
trouble said:

To be clever you also have to be quick and loud. It needs to be funny and succinct and you need to make yourself heard.

don't think it could be said any better than this......

that's how Olsen was back in the '90s....AND....IT.....WAS.......GLORIOUS!!
trouble
AG
I completely agree. I still get a good one to ring through the stands every once in a while but I'm old and tired.

trouble
AG
And it can't just be 203. Everyone needs to make noise. For as small as the small crowd was on Wednesday, it was loud.
Luke The Drifter
AG
trouble said:

Sure, noise is good...mostly.

One anecdote I'll share is from a friend's kid who pitched for one of our opponents back in the day. He played against A&M in a full stadium when he was at Texas, then he played against A&M on a Tuesday in a 40% full stadium when he transferred to Lamar. He said he was much more rattled by the smaller crowd because he could hear each individual person bellowing his name and the heckling. When it was 7000+ yelling, he said he could drown it out like white noise.

I think clever is the key over loud. The rhythmic pounding on the metal bleachers, to me, is better than the random (but louder) banging on the bleachers. Ultimately, I'd say we should do what our players like best. Whatever they think fires them up or whatever they think best rattles the other team is what we should do. And maybe that's what's happening with the changes Schloss is putting in place.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
One Louder
AG
Section 203 was cracking me up with the inflatable maracas and the "Oleeee Ole Ole Ole!" song!
75AG
AG
The best from last night was "Nolan, it's all your fault"
trouble
AG
The remodel changed things a lot more than people realize. It used to be real real easy to get into someone's head because they could hear you better. We were practically on top of them.

Being heard clearly from farther away AND over the noise of people just chatting or whatever is very difficult.

What I really miss about the old days of 203 is doing research on the opposing players. I'll message 203 when I learn something like, earlier this year we played a kid from Canada. We sang oh Canada to him. Another, it was his birthday, he was definitely shook when they started singing happy birthday.
trouble
AG
75AG said:

The best from last night was "Nolan, it's all your fault"

That and "pitcher's name" likes bubbles are some of my favorites
trouble
AG
You see the inflatable saxophones for Hayden?
75AG
AG
Can we talk about the "name the baby" game from last night? The winner said it was Braden, but it DEFINITELY was not Braden. Even his dad was waving his hands saying "that's not Braden".
One Louder
AG
trouble said:

Noooooo, but that's awesome! I do appreciate that "Careless Whisper" is his walk-up (as well as Schott using "Tainted Love")
ensign_beedrill
AG
One of my favs: Hofstra pitcher from 2016.

trouble
AG
One Louder said:

trouble said:

Noooooo, but that's awesome! I do appreciate that "Careless Whisper" is his walk-up (as well as Schott using "Tainted Love")

Bard is tainted love
trouble
AG
He did have chicken legs
One Louder
AG
trouble said:

One Louder said:

trouble said:

Bard is tainted love

You're right. Had Schott on the brain.
ensign_beedrill
AG
One Louder said:

trouble said:

One Louder said:

trouble said:

Bard is tainted love

You're right. Had Schott on the brain.
Personally, I've got Schott through the heart.
Randy Rhodes
I thought you were a Eric B and Rakim fan
greg.w.h
AG
Golf clap….
twk
AG
With a small crowd, individuals can be heard and it's easier to be clever. However, it's rare that we have a small crowd for a conference game, so noise will have to do.

There are a few of us I the first base lower deck who try to get the crowd going, with only modest success (but it's better than it used to be). Pre renovation, I could tap my ring on those metal seats, but nowadays, I have to do it the hard way.

Not having played the game, I could be totally wrong about this, but my theory has always been when the other team is at the plate, that a clap that increases in tempo as the pitch is being delivered might be slightly distracting to timing (if they can't completely block it out, which I suspect a lot of them can do), while when we are at the plate, I would think a steady rhythm is better (usually three claps followed by a pause).

But back to the OP, they mostly play that stuff when the fans are sitting on their hands. If you want to see less, take the initiative and make some noise without being prompted.
Hearne_Ag
AG
75AG said:

Can we talk about the "name the baby" game from last night? The winner said it was Braden, but it DEFINITELY was not Braden. Even his dad was waving his hands saying "that's not Braden".
poor girl messed up so bad they gave it to her just to make her look good. Looked like Jack Bell!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.