Olsen Field question (new park or just expansion)
18,510 Views | 183 Replies
Aggie
7:06a, 4/16/24
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I sincerely hope a complete rebuild is not in the works.
We renovated the stadium 12 years ago.
Eliminate the berms abs you have plenty of room to add permanent seating down the lines.
There is room in the outfield to put in permanent seating as well.

I also sure I'll in the minority but don't see a reason we need much of an increased capacity.
When the renovation was done capacity was actually decreased.
One big parents weekend series vs Vanderbilt doesn't change that.

I'd rather have packed houses and SRO vs empty seats.

Divining Rod
7:10a, 4/16/24

Said before, will say AGAIN: Whatever we do, we HAVE to preserve the Train Track View in some manner. That is a huge heritage/tradition/charm/mystique of Olsen Field.

I favor this:

A "cut-through" view of the track and passing trains, maybe a 15-20 ft "alley". Anytime an Aggie goes yard through that gap, we do something special (train horn?)

On those rare occasions we hit a homer through there as a train actually passes- maybe a free drink coupon to the next game!

So much we could do with this, but PLEASE don't block out the tracks completely- that would be gross mis-step. There are so few true, iconic features in ballparks around the country- don't lose that.
Rudyjax
7:59a, 4/16/24
In reply to YellowPot_97
YellowPot_97 said:

SchizoAg said:

The surprising thing to me is that so few people seem to have much of a sentimental attachment to Olsen Field. Most people couldn't care less where it's located or what it's called. That's the impression I get on these threads, anyway. In my mind it's a "cathedral of college baseball" almost as much as Kyle is for football.

Same. I love Olson.
I loved Olson but it's not longer Olson.

I have no sentimental feelings towards the current stadium.
TAMU1990
8:08a, 4/16/24
In reply to Tuve
Tuve said:

Really hope we get firm news soon. Need to build Schloss the new ballpark ASAP. Best coach we've ever had on campus, can't let him leave because of poor facilities.
TCU's facilities are ten times worse than ours and he was there 15+ years. Point being, I think Schloss knows something will happen here and his job (in his mind) is speeding up the timeline. We aren't telling him no and I don't think he's going anywhere either.

Hopefully, this summer we'll see some plans. It would be a good off season discussion. I also think something is going to happen where the old softball field sits. Either more parking or it could be an additional indoor training facility.
TAMU1990
8:11a, 4/16/24
In reply to Serious Lee
Serious Lee said:

hope the (potential) donors are paying attention.

Quote:

Guest: Two part question and just want your thoughts -All my Longhorn baseball friends are losing patience with Pierce. Not sure he is the answer for leading the team into a tough SEC next year. Do you think DelConte could try to go after Schloss at A&M. They are connected from their days at TCU. Does Pierce need to make post season to keep his job?

Kendall Rogers: Guest I think Texas will be making a coaching change if the season ended today. Coach Pierce and I are close and have a great relationship, but it's also my job to be truthful. I have no doubt Chris Del Conte will shoot for Schlossnagle, but I would be very surprised at this point if that would even be an option unless A&M just bungled the new facility, which I've been told will not happen. Should Texas open (and I'm not saying it will for sure), I have a very good name in mind that I think the Longhorns would have an excellent shot with. Stay tuned.

D-F is a dump too with crappy turf.
LB12Diamond
8:13a, 4/16/24
If it's staying in the same spot, with the RECC and tracks, there's really not much that can be done in the outfield.
Buford T. Justice
8:32a, 4/16/24
In reply to Tuve
We do not have poor facilities.
That narrative keeps popping up in these threads, and it simply is not the case. Does the indoor area need updating, yes.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Buford T. Justice
8:35a, 4/16/24
With that said, we've got to get those aluminum bleachers off of the left field berm. That looks trashy.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Bullpen Chias
8:41a, 4/16/24
The money that is being talked about is over $100M. That would get you a brand new facility. We are putting it towards a renovation. So, think of it as a Kyle Field-like renovation. Should be amazing when complete.

I do side a little with the earlier post about overbuilding capacity, but I expect we'll open the 2027 season with the greatest venue in college baseball.
Cen-Tex
8:52a, 4/16/24
I hope A&M finds the money. Easy to get funding for anything football. Not so much for other sports.
Fairview20
8:53a, 4/16/24
Is there enough space between RF and the tracks to build a retaining wall and put a concourse on top, with a berm going down to the fence level? Similar to how the Dell Diamond is in RF. Would be a good spot for SRO/overflow seating for big weekends as opposed to the whole 1B side.
BBQ
8:56a, 4/16/24
In reply to TAMU1990
I agree, its like tu gets a pass for an absolutely dump in DF but the Aggies absolutely are required to have the Taj Mahal of college baseball venues to retain a standing coach that is handsomely paid. Am I missing something?
trouble
9:27a, 4/16/24
In reply to BBQ
Lots of folks who post things like that haven't been to DF. The entire thing is a dump.
Texas_Ag11
9:31a, 4/16/24
To me this one is being overcomplicated. Take the two deck concept down the lines 3/4 of the way to the foul poles and first deck to the foul poles with suites carried around. Could even taper it down similar to old Kaufman field in KC. Then build up around the right field to the catchers eye right above the wall. Put 2-5 rows of seats, wide concourse behind it and 3-4 train cars that are open to the field with either concessions, bars or even suites - similar to Camden Yard. Carry that 2-5 rows of seats on the left field with a roof over those seats and concessions. Put the scoreboard over the roof line to cover up the obscenely ugly Rec center. It should all fit within the right of ways and adds probably 3-5k seats with plenty of premiums. Could even put the bullpens under the fence lines if you dig them out and put an open fence concept on those sections for the bullpen to view the field. Then just renovate all the facilities underneath the left field line.

1. Add 3-5k in seats - Check

2. Add outfield seating - Check

3. Add premium suite seating - Check

4. Keep the train and add a permanent "Station" feel with the box cars

Texas_Ag11
twk
9:34a, 4/16/24
In reply to Fairview20
Fairview20 said:

Is there enough space between RF and the tracks to build a retaining wall and put a concourse on top, with a berm going down to the fence level? Similar to how the Dell Diamond is in RF. Would be a good spot for SRO/overflow seating for big weekends as opposed to the whole 1B side.
There is just under 60 feet from the very corner of the playing field to the railroad right of way (assuming that the chain link fence is on the boundary line). The current Death Berm is about 50 feet in width, so if you wanted to do a berm in the RF corner, it would have to be a bit truncated or perhaps steeper than the Death Berm.
BBQ
9:48a, 4/16/24
In reply to trouble
It certainly will be in the bottom half of venues in the SEC…. Full transparency, i have not been to all sec venues. But of the 8 i have visited, with the exception of Vandy, those are all far and above DF.
greg.w.h
10:01a, 4/16/24
In reply to TAMU1990
TAMU1990 said:

Tuve said:

Really hope we get firm news soon. Need to build Schloss the new ballpark ASAP. Best coach we've ever had on campus, can't let him leave because of poor facilities.
TCU's facilities are ten times worse than ours and he was there 15+ years. Point being, I think Schloss knows something will happen here and his job (in his mind) is speeding up the timeline. We aren't telling him no and I don't think he's going anywhere either.

Hopefully, this summer we'll see some plans. It would be a good off season discussion. I also think something is going to happen where the old softball field sits. Either more parking or it could be an additional indoor training facility.
He has made himself the most visible and most valuable coach in college baseball…
Scooley01
10:10a, 4/16/24
In reply to Buford T. Justice
Buford T. Justice said:

We do not have poor facilities.
That narrative keeps popping up in these threads, and it simply is not the case. Does the indoor area need updating, yes.

Dump is a strong word, but the indoor areas are really in rough shape for an athletic program our size. The locker room is nice, but everything else including the nutrition and lounge, hot and ice tubs and pt area, etc all look run down. They certainly don't reflect the quality of our athletic program overall. It feels like being in a high school fieldhouse. It's obviously not hurting recruiting at the moment, but it's definitely in need of an upgrade soon
BiochemAg97
10:43a, 4/16/24
In reply to Bullpen Chias
Bullpen Chias said:

The money that is being talked about is over $100M. That would get you a brand new facility. We are putting it towards a renovation. So, think of it as a Kyle Field-like renovation. Should be amazing when complete.

I do side a little with the earlier post about overbuilding capacity, but I expect we'll open the 2027 season with the greatest venue in college baseball.

Bjork talked about turning the old softball field into a multipurpose indoor facility that could be used for infield practice during inclement weather. Any idea if that is part of the price, or if that is going to be a separate project.20-30 million for a large indoor space would still leave 70-80 mil for Olsen. I seem to recall some prior price discussion on Olsen in the 70 mil range.

I feel that Schloss comments at the beginning of the season about not having an indoor facility might have been working to tie it into one project. It would be similar to the centennial campaign including indoor football, the new academic/nutrition center being built, and the indoor track as one effort.

The multipurpose indoor facility would also be useful for softball. Coach Henry mentioned the need for warmup space for indoor track meets. They had previously used the old indoor football facility for warmup space when they were using the old indoor track facility. I'm guessing soccer could find a use for it too.
BiochemAg97
10:56a, 4/16/24
In reply to Bullpen Chias
Bullpen Chias said:

I think the concern about overbuilding capacity is overblown. You might have excess capacity initially, but we have 70k students, graduating 15k+ per year. Plus the rate at which old ags are returning to BCS is phenomenal. Even if you initially have excess capacity, it shouldn't be hard to grow the fan base to meet that capacity in a few years.

Doing a phased construction where you plan on adding additional capacity over several years or as needed wouldn't be a bad idea. For example, if you build lower levels all the way down the 1st baseline to the fence but only build upper levels part way, but build the foundations to support the upper levels all the way out, you could come add upper levels during an offseason down the road when you need additional capacity.
Rudyjax
11:07a, 4/16/24
In reply to BiochemAg97

Self fulfilling prophecy. The only reason why we won't need a bigger ballpark is if we're losing. The better the ballpark, the easier winning is.

I wish i had the talent to build it, i know exactly what we need.
Scooley01
11:37a, 4/16/24
Nice facilities can also be used for other events, rented out to other organizations in the off season, etc. Brings in tourism dollars as an option. Do they currently use Olsen in the off season like that?
trouble
11:48a, 4/16/24
In reply to Scooley01
Nope. Hell, until now we didn't use Kyle that was either

You can rent it but it's not well publicized and only small campus organizations usually use it
BoerneGator
12:02p, 4/16/24
I've never understood the "arguments" of insufficient footprint for expansion at Olson. It's apparent that there's sufficient to double the existing seating capacity, unless (as is likely) some of that were dedicated to suites, in which case the additional capacity might be reduced by 25-30%. Even still, it seems 15,000 seats are attainable by simply extending the existing two levels down the lines. Or is there some reason we could not build seating over our bullpen? The outfields would still be available for future expansion, and/or SRO for the occasional "big" game.
BANA89
12:02p, 4/16/24
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I think a handful of rail cars in the outfield stadium space is both cheesy and a waste of functional seating space. I agree with trying to maintain some sight lines to the trains going by far more than a couple of rusting rail cars taking away from potential seat expansion.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
trouble
12:03p, 4/16/24
In reply to BANA89
You don't just let them sit out there to rust. You do something functional with them like concessions.
greg.w.h
12:15p, 4/16/24
In reply to BoerneGator
BoerneGator said:

I've never understood the "arguments" of insufficient footprint for expansion at Olson. It's apparent that there's sufficient to double the existing seating capacity, unless (as is likely) some of that were dedicated to suites, in which case the additional capacity might be reduced by 25-30%. Even still, it seems 15,000 seats are attainable by simply extending the existing two levels down the lines. Or is there some reason we could not build seating over our bullpen? The outfields would still be available for future expansion, and/or SRO for the occasional "big" game.
You have minimal room for outfield seating expansion at least until they bury Welborn and the train (which might never happen. Putting buildings next to Olsen that inhibited expansion was short-sighted but it is a university after all…

Could move current footprint but impacts games played until new ballpark completed. Ask Derm about his East Campus preference which some bureaucrats just said "No" to like Nancy Reagan and drugs.

The costs multiply if they don't merely expand, but you end up with Poor Things/Frankenshteen's Monster outcomes if you don't periodically fully rebuild. See Kyle Field for a recent example…
BoerneGator
12:27p, 4/16/24
In reply to greg.w.h
Quote:

Putting buildings next to Olsen that inhibited expansion was short-sighted but it is a university after all…
Indeed! Why not "unbuild" some of that Rec Center expansion?
BoerneGator
12:33p, 4/16/24
In reply to greg.w.h
What is a realistic desired maximum capacity? I should think 15,000 would suffice for another 25 years. But, as has already been mentioned, with the way old Ags are returning to BCS to retire, the demand could escalate rapidly over the next 25 years.
twk
12:37p, 4/16/24
In reply to BoerneGator
BoerneGator said:

What is a realistic desired maximum capacity? I should think 15,000 would suffice for another 25 years. But, as has already been mentioned, with the way old Ags are returning to BCS to retire, the demand could escalate rapidly over the next 25 years.
Nobody has 15,000 actual seats. When MSU draws a crowd like that, more than half that number is standing. LSU probably has the most actual seats, at around 10,000. Parking is also a constraint.
SchizoAg
12:56p, 4/16/24
How is it that three people who care enough to post in this thread don't know how to spell "Olsen"?
75AG
1:02p, 4/16/24
Why not build a completely perfect grandstand at the corner of Bush and Olsen Blvd. Keep playing in OF@BBP until the new grandstand is complete. Then during an offseason, blow up old Olsen, put in the field and voila we have our palace!

Of course the TMF would have a **** fit because they have to temporarily give up prime football and RV parking.
StinkyPinky
1:03p, 4/16/24
In reply to SchizoAg
SchizoAg said:

How is it that three people who care enough to post in this thread don't know how to spell "Olsen"?
Can you imagine if one of our players was named Ainias? He got butchered daily in the zoo,
Maroon Flash
1:14p, 4/16/24
Hopefully we go big! We can easily have the same size crowds that MSU and LSU have and even larger.
Hearne_Ag
1:14p, 4/16/24
In reply to 75AG
75AG said:

Why not build a completely perfect grandstand at the corner of Bush and Olsen Blvd. Keep playing in OF@BBP until the new grandstand is complete. Then during an offseason, blow up old Olsen, put in the field and voila we have our palace!

Of course the TMF would have a **** fit because they have to temporarily give up prime football and RV parking.
I brought that up on the old thread. There's plenty of room to do that.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings