Olsen Field question (new park or just expansion)
18,519 Views | 183 Replies
75AG
1:15p, 4/16/24
In reply to Hearne_Ag
I knew I stole it from somewhere.
skeetboy3
1:16p, 4/16/24
Railroad company would never go for it, but I would love double deck in the RF with first deck being shallow like Crawford boxes at MMP, a walking concourse behind it and the upper deck above the tracks, would have the same view of the train, an awesome atmosphere and memorable look. A compromise could be to have the second deck on the opposite side of the track.
TAMU1990
1:35p, 4/16/24
In reply to Scooley01
Scooley01 said:

Nice facilities can also be used for other events, rented out to other organizations in the off season, etc. Brings in tourism dollars as an option. Do they currently use Olsen in the off season like that?
There are HS tournaments played there a couple weekends (Thur-Sun) during the summer.
TAMU1990
1:38p, 4/16/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

You don't just let them sit out there to rust. You do something functional with them like concessions.
Or bars
trouble
1:40p, 4/16/24
In reply to StinkyPinky
StinkyPinky said:

SchizoAg said:

How is it that three people who care enough to post in this thread don't know how to spell "Olsen"?
Can you imagine if one of our players was named Ainias? He got butchered daily in the zoo,

We'd just use his nickname
TexAg1987
2:17p, 4/16/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
BiochemAg97 said:

Mission Ranch AG said:

In talking to Schloss, it looks like it will be a major renovation at Blue Bell. When we renovate Blue Bell, we will have to bring HVAC and electrical up to code. From my understanding those two items will cost several million dollars. He also said that every time it rains, the coaches offices have water standing in them. This will be an expensive renovation.

Up to code from the last time we renovated in 2011/2012? Are there really that many changes?

Not a code issue. They want to put it on the Campus thermal loop. It runs on a bunch of DX systems now.
Hearne_Ag
2:18p, 4/16/24
In reply to TexAg1987
DX?
RED AG 98
2:42p, 4/16/24
Ooooh boy

Scooley01
2:49p, 4/16/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

Ooooh boy

Special fungo golf facility confirmed?
85AustinAg
3:11p, 4/16/24
At last dugout meeting Schloss said that the project is moving forward but has slowed down because of the new AD and the Athletics Department Money crunch.

He was not overly concern or frustrated about it. He has said in the past that we will go vertical. I sent him a picture of Ebbets Field and he laughed but its a similar idea.

Lots of player and coaches amenities needed and included in this renovation and by all accounts we are staying where the stadium is currently and Schloss is fine with that.

I've been told by several in the know that Schloss approached A&M when the opening became available and timing upon other things was perfect. Coach was going through a divorce and wanted to get out of town and he saw a move to A&M as a lifetime, legacy move for him and his future.

Schloss' goal is to build the premiere college baseball program and ball park in the State and on par with some of the great ones in the SEC including some parts of Miss State, Ole Miss and a few other parks I can't remember.

We are in good hands and my sense is that Coach is being patient at this point, is loving his time at A&M and has no plans of going anywhere.

In the near future though we are going to have to pony up and build what he has in mind or there could be issues. Also from what I've heard from rumblings from the $ guys at Dugout Club meetings money won't be an issue for the project. We need the AD settled in, up to date on the department and we need to raise the money. Then we should start seeing new and updated plans and renderings. No timetable though.
85AustinAg
3:13p, 4/16/24
Ebbets Field

85AustinAg
3:15p, 4/16/24
Swayze Field at Ole Miss. Notice in the foreground to the right the building attached to the right field base line. This is where the office and player amenities are located for Ole Miss and one of the items Coach has mentioned.
NoahAg
3:41p, 4/16/24
Ok, I'm way behind on the stadium issue, but I thought Blue Bell was "new?" I went to a ton of games 1999-04, but only one since Blue Bell. I thought it already was one of the bigger college stadiums. What is it lacking that others have?
RED AG 98
3:53p, 4/16/24
In reply to NoahAg
It got a facelift in 2012 but by no means is it new. It was also largely planned prior to the move to the SEC and while it is nice from a fan perspective, it is small for the size of our school and interest. The other schools have not stood still either, and we are now lacking in some of the player and coach facilities as well.

If you want a more complete answer, I would recommend reading this thread in full if you haven't already as well as the thread linked in the second post.
TexAg1987
5:03p, 4/16/24
In reply to Hearne_Ag
Hearne_Ag said:

DX?

Direct Expansion. Think home A/C.
Freon, etc.

Lots of units, lots of maintenance, reaching end of useful life shortly.

Texas_Ag11
5:05p, 4/16/24
One other easy thing to do is to build limited premium seats in left field with a second deck of seats carrying around from the third base lines and a large party deck that extends all the way to the Rec Center and connected into that facility. Still gives the proper fire lane right of way underneath and adds a really interesting concept design to that area. Again, covers up the 50 foot all brick prison walls of the Rec Center as the backdrop to left field.

By the way, on the train car idea in right, you can take it all the way and have a Bush replica of his engine out there with 3-4 train cars and the station concept with concessions, bars, team store, etc. Point being you carry off the themes of the train, the station, Bush's brand, etc. Or go all the way and take that left field idea of a party plaza running the entire distance of the left field to the batter's eye and build in a Buc'ees on the party plaza that is visible from TV. Now you are talking something that can not be replicated and is on brand for us.

Sean98
5:59p, 4/16/24
In reply to TexAg1987
Thanks
Sean98
6:00p, 4/16/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

Ok, I'm way behind on the stadium issue, but I thought Blue Bell was "new?" I went to a ton of games 1999-04, but only one since Blue Bell. I thought it already was one of the bigger college stadiums. What is it lacking that others have?
Our previous renovation actually reduced seats for some ungodly reason.
jmfshr
11:13a, 4/17/24
In reply to 75AG
75AG said:

Why not build a completely perfect grandstand at the corner of Bush and Olsen Blvd. Keep playing in OF@BBP until the new grandstand is complete. Then during an offseason, blow up old Olsen, put in the field and voila we have our palace!

Of course the TMF would have a **** fit because they have to temporarily give up prime football and RV parking.
This is not a bad idea. After tearing down Blue Bell, build a parking garage in its place and include training facilities. More seating could be added along the south wall of the new building.
jkag89
10:35a, 4/20/24
RED AG 98
10:52a, 4/20/24
In reply to jkag89
You need more coffee. Scroll up a few posts
jkag89
11:03a, 4/20/24
In reply to RED AG 98
TyHolden
11:17a, 4/20/24
for the olds....

e=mc2
10:29a, 4/22/24
In reply to jkag89
jkag89 said:

That's hilarious!
Divining Rod
2:07p, 4/24/24
In reply to Texas_Ag11
Texas_Ag11 said:

By the way, on the train car idea in right, you can take it all the way and have a Bush replica of his engine out there with 3-4 train cars and the station concept with concessions, bars, team store, etc. Point being you carry off the themes of the train, the station, Bush's brand, etc. Or go all the way and take that left field idea of a party plaza running the entire distance of the left field to the batter's eye and build in a Buc'ees on the party plaza that is visible from TV. Now you are talking something that can not be replicated and is on brand for us.

In other words, let's Walt Disney the place when we have the ACTUAL iconic train tracks right behind us. Yeah, let's just obscure that out of existence. I mean, this is Texas A&M, what do we have to do with honoring history and tradition.

Sorry, but the short-sightedness of some is mind-boggling. Find an architect that can incorporate it. The silly idea above would be like Notre Dame building a huge wall in front of Touchdown Jesus and selling suites made up of animal figurine furniture to resemble mini- bethlehem mangers.
Mister Mystery Guest
9:42p, 4/24/24
In reply to Texas_Ag11
Less Bush is more.
HUEY04
11:14p, 4/24/24
In reply to Divining Rod
It's a train track, they're everywhere, there should be absolutely 0 thought given to it in a reno. How about let's focus on building a premier baseball facility with more seating and more amenities.
Ag8086
7:12a, 4/25/24
Would be nice to get a major donation from Buc'ees and maybe underwrite the most of the renovation but then might have to include them in naming rights like bluebell did.
jkag89
7:33a, 4/25/24
In reply to Sean98
Sean98 said:

NoahAg said:

Our previous renovation actually reduced seats for some ungodly reason.
It removed bleachers that folks *****ed about as much as they do about the berms now. The number of seats in the main structure of Olsen was also slightly reduced despite addition of club seats due to the expansion of the press box, addition of suites and meeting new ADA standards. The overall capacity of the park was about the same after the renovation as it was before.
Rudyjax
8:45a, 4/25/24
In reply to HUEY04
HUEY04 said:

It's a train track, they're everywhere, there should be absolutely 0 thought given to it in a reno. How about let's focus on building a premier baseball facility with more seating and more amenities.
trouble
8:58a, 4/25/24
In reply to Ag8086
Ag8086 said:

Would be nice to get a major donation from Buc'ees and maybe underwrite the most of the renovation but then might have to include them in naming rights like bluebell did.

My understanding is that they haven't completely made good on their pledge to the Hospitality center yet.
BiochemAg97
9:14a, 4/25/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Ag8086 said:

My understanding is that they haven't completely made good on their pledge to the Hospitality center yet.

Was kinda wondering why the old fish lot has been fenced off since last summer with no obvious construction activity.

Although, endowment pledges have 5 years to pay off. I figured the big lead donor pledges had a similar, so wouldn't be upset if they spread that 50 mil over 5 years, but wouldn't expect another sizable donation until that pledge is fulfilled.
ensign_beedrill
9:29a, 4/25/24
In reply to HUEY04
HUEY04 said:

The trains are a big part of Aggie baseball. It wouldn't feel like Aggie baseball without them. We shouldn't lose everything that makes this place special just for a few upgrades that would make it look like every other ballpark.
TexAg1987
9:32a, 4/25/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
That had more to do with the change in President.
BiochemAg97
9:49a, 4/25/24
In reply to ensign_beedrill
ensign_beedrill said:

HUEY04 said:

The trains are a big part of Aggie baseball. It wouldn't feel like Aggie baseball without them. We shouldn't lose everything that makes this place special just for a few upgrades that would make it look like every other ballpark.

Was listening to the game on the radio on Tuesday. When a train passed, our crew announced the number of engines. You know it is Aggie baseball when the number of engines is important enough to announce on the radio.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings