Olsen Field question (new park or just expansion)
17,886 Views | 183 Replies
Bullpen Chias
9:57a, 4/25/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
Rev cemetery used to be able to see into Kyle and see scoreboard. That ended and a mini-scoreboard was created for Rev cemetery.

For Olsen, maybe they put a camera on the tracks and show that on the video board.
Capitol Ag
10:23a, 4/25/24
Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but yesterday, Looch was on TA Radio to talk about the AD layoffs and mentioned that the baseball renovation is a go, that it WILL happen but that this will probably be the last big building project given that college sports spending is (already has) changed and the NIL is a bigger focus going forward for all athletic departments. The new athletic director was brought in the streamline the budget, which has been out of control. But the baseball stadium is being renovated or rebuilt. So, at least we know it is happening.
dermdoc
10:39a, 4/25/24
In reply to Bullpen Chias
Bullpen Chias said:

Rev cemetery used to be able to see into Kyle and see scoreboard. That ended and a mini-scoreboard was created for Rev cemetery.

For Olsen, maybe they put a camera on the tracks and show that on the video board.

That scoreboard for Revs was my idea. After a lot of meetings.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Capitol Ag
11:09a, 4/25/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Bullpen Chias said:

Wasn't there a guy on Texags that was really mad about the Rev cemetery not being in the stadium and had a signature on all his post with something like "sleeping on guard duty used to be a capital offense"? He was always fun!

Good call on the scoreboard Derm!
trouble
11:23a, 4/25/24
In reply to Capitol Ag
YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS. He was also all upset about the orange water coolers.

What the hell was his name?
dermdoc
11:42a, 4/25/24
In reply to Capitol Ag
Capitol Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Bullpen Chias said:

Wasn't there a guy on Texags that was really mad about the Rev cemetery not being in the stadium and had a signature on all his post with something like "sleeping on guard duty used to be a capital offense"? He was always fun!

And when they did the New Kyle I asked them if I could buy it for my back yard. 12th Man refused and these are folks I am friends with.

Some people do not like to have fun.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ag88man
11:54a, 4/25/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

BopbeeAg or BeebopAg as I recall.
TyHolden
11:59a, 4/25/24
We should lower it, put a solid glass roof, and have fans watching from above as well.
Frok
12:01p, 4/25/24
In reply to Capitol Ag
Capitol Ag said:

Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but yesterday, Looch was on TA Radio to talk about the AD layoffs and mentioned that the baseball renovation is a go, that it WILL happen but that this will probably be the last big building project given that college sports spending is (already has) changed and the NIL is a bigger focus going forward for all athletic departments. The new athletic director was brought in the streamline the budget, which has been out of control. But the baseball stadium is being renovated or rebuilt. So, at least we know it is happening.

Yep, facilities are going to be irrelevant if you are paying players.
W
In reply to Capitol Ag
Capitol Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Bullpen Chias said:

I think he was upset about the old cemetery on Marion Pugh & Luther

and believe or not...his rants brought attention to it...and got the 8 graves moved

it was one of the first big wins (or influencing things) for texags back in the day
Capitol Ag
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

That's right! The orange were a huge issue with this guy. I am trying to remember his name. His heart was in the right place, but he was a little intense to say the least.
Capitol Ag
12:03p, 4/25/24
In reply to ag88man
ag88man said:

trouble said:

That's it!!! BeeBop Ag
Capitol Ag
12:11p, 4/25/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Capitol Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Bullpen Chias said:

And when they did the New Kyle I asked them if I could buy it for my back yard. 12th Man refused and these are folks I am friends with.

Some people do not like to have fun.
What did they do with the old score board?
trouble
12:30p, 4/25/24
In reply to ag88man
ag88man said:

trouble said:

Yes! BeBopAg
dermdoc
12:59p, 4/25/24
Before the Kyle redo

agnatgas
1:08p, 4/25/24
BeBopAg hasn't posted since 2012. He was in the Corps in 1960, so if alive would be 82 - 86.

Here.
Rudyjax
1:12p, 4/25/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Bullpen Chias said:

So, you're the one that thinks that dead dogs can see through the earth?
Agdad081216
1:16p, 4/25/24
In reply to Rudyjax
You don't?
Just an old dad who raise 3 Ags. Inherited 2 more. GIG’EM
Bullpen Chias
1:35p, 4/25/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Before the Kyle redo

You still have those britches
Divining Rod
1:52p, 4/25/24
In reply to HUEY04
HUEY04 said:

It's a train track, they're everywhere, there should be absolutely 0 thought given to it in a reno. How about let's focus on building a premier baseball facility with more seating and more amenities.
God help us. It's this kind of blind short-sightedness that leads to cookie cutter crap that everyone thinks is "cool", then 5 years later there are 10 other parks surpassing it and nothing unique.

When you have something with tradition/heritage/mystique and national notoriety- you PRESERVE it. Especially at Texas A&M.

Post above reminds me of the group that wanted to raze the Alamo before Sara Driscoll and the Daughters of Texas Liberty stepped in and preserved that "old dilapidated Army depot" that was such an eyesore.

Just think of the really cool modern hotel they coulda put there in 1850.
dermdoc
1:54p, 4/25/24
In reply to Divining Rod
Divining Rod said:

HUEY04 said:

It's a train track, they're everywhere, there should be absolutely 0 thought given to it in a reno. How about let's focus on building a premier baseball facility with more seating and more amenities.
God help us. It's this kind of blind short-sightedness that leads to cookie cutter crap that everyone thinks is "cool", then 5 years later there are 10 other parks surpassing it and nothing unique.

When you have something with tradition/heritage/mystique and national notoriety- you PRESERVE it. Especially at Texas A&M.

Post above reminds me of the group that wanted to raze the Alamo before Sara Driscoll and the Daughters of Texas Liberty stepped in and preserved that "old dilapidated Army depot" that was such an eyesore.

I am with you.
Divining Rod
1:55p, 4/25/24
you can still have all your "amenities". Just design them around preserving at least a small view of the train tracks and highlighting that element so Olsen retains that aura.

Would love for that particular section to be an awesome experience when an Aggie sends a HR through it!

This IS College STATION after all!
twk
2:35p, 4/25/24
In reply to Divining Rod
Divining Rod said:

HUEY04 said:

If I won the billion dollar lottery, I'd tell A&M I'm building a new park at the corner of Olsen and University (Stotzer), which would allow us to incorporate the train. But I don't know that I would try to incorporate a train into a new park built away from the tracks. I would cost a lot to do it in any meaningful way.

At any rate, the point is probably moot as we are simply going to renovate Olsen.
Divining Rod
2:42p, 4/25/24
^ oh, completely agree with THAT. it would be kinda silly to even try...
Texas_Ag11
2:45p, 4/25/24
In reply to Divining Rod
Divining Rod said:

you can still have all your "amenities". Just design them around preserving at least a small view of the train tracks and highlighting that element so Olsen retains that aura.

Would love for that particular section to be an awesome experience when an Aggie sends a HR through it!
All that can be done even if you have train cars or a train station out in right field. You could always do the same thing in left field. I get your point, but I think you are missing other's.
Hearne_Ag
2:53p, 4/25/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Divining Rod said:

HUEY04 said:

If I won the billion dollar lottery, I'd tell A&M I'm building a new park at the corner of Olsen and University (Stotzer), which would allow us to incorporate the train. But I don't know that I would try to incorporate a train into a new park built away from the tracks. I would cost a lot to do it in any meaningful way.

At any rate, the point is probably moot as we are simply going to renovate Olsen.
I'd start building the grandstand on the current spot closer to Olsen and George Bush.
Divining Rod
2:55p, 4/25/24
Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying we could as easily incorporate the train/tracks in LEFT field????

I already acknowledged we can have whatever amenities we want, just don't lose the ONE amenity that basically has no option of being moved, upgraded, changed, etc...
TexAg1987
3:04p, 4/25/24
In reply to Hearne_Ag
Hearne_Ag said:

twk said:

Divining Rod said:

HUEY04 said:

I'd start building the grandstand on the current spot closer to Olsen and George Bush.
This is another area that is getting hemmed in. The railroad underpass is going to take some of that land.

It has all been looked at. The issue is when do you quit spending money to solve existing site issues and just build brand new? Moving the stadium undermines the Athletic Department's effort to consolidate all the sports into a walkable district. If you have to pay to move further out, then it just costs more. Catch 22.
Hearne_Ag
3:09p, 4/25/24
In reply to TexAg1987
I forgot all about that, and very true!
Aggie Class of 2026
4:10p, 4/25/24
In reply to Cynical_Texan
I don't feel the stadium needs to be completely replaced unless it structurally has issues which I doubt it does.
twk
4:25p, 4/25/24
In reply to Aggie Class of 2026
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

I don't feel the stadium needs to be completely replaced unless it structurally has issues which I doubt it does.
We can get by without a complete replacement, but we can't fix the park's biggest flaw (the small lower deck) with a renovation (would require moving the field out away from the grandstand, but the tracks make that infeasible).
Bullpen Chias
4:49p, 4/25/24
Olsen Field is one of my favorite places in the world. But I'd take a brand new ballpark in a heartbeat.
dermdoc
4:58p, 4/25/24
In reply to Bullpen Chias
Bullpen Chias said:

dermdoc said:

Before the Kyle redo

You still have those britches
And they still fit.
Aggie Class of 2026
5:22p, 4/25/24
In reply to twk
Quote:

we can't fix the park's biggest flaw (the small lower deck)

You think that's the biggest flaw? Why?
twk
5:26p, 4/25/24
In reply to Aggie Class of 2026
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Quote:

we can't fix the park's biggest flaw (the small lower deck)

You think that's the biggest flaw? Why?
Because that's where big donors want to sit. The more seats we have close to the infield, the better.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings