OT: "Bryan-College Station"

7,556 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TyHolden
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TarponChaser said:

1939 said:

I have nothing against Bryan, but it just sounds dumb. Texas A&M, specifically the sports stadiums are in College Station. If they are broadcasting a golf tourney from Traditions then I would expect them to be in Bryan and not College Station.

The Metro Area is Bryan-College Station. It is not a combined city.

This would be the equivalent to a Houston Astros game being broadcast live from Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land or t.u. games coming to you live from Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos.

If the Cowboys claim Dallas despite always having been in Arlington or the Jets & Giants claiming New York despite being in New Jersey I think these announcers can be given some leeway. They're probably given the Bryan-College Station" nomenclature as part of their background info so you can blame whomever produces that.
Footage of the Cowboys in Dallas:

BoerneGator
AG
Reckon that footage was from the late '60s, with Don Merideth #17, Bob Lilly #74, Mel Renfro #20, Cornell Green #34. Just done of the #'s I recognized from 50+ years ago when they indeed played in the Cotton Bowl. Notice all the men wearing suit and ties. Their "Sunday best"!
75AG
AG
No one has ever said, "I'm heading over to Bryan-College Station to watch the Aggies play". Maybe "going to A&M", but never Bryan-College Station.
TexasRebel
AG
It's usually shortened to B/CS.

I'm headed to B/CS to catch the super regionals.
75AG
AG
Congrats! Most of us say The Station, or (God help us) CStat. But you be you.
trouble
AG
I don't say either of those things. I either say Kyle or Olsen depending on where I'm headed.
75AG
AG
That's the best answer! But I do say, "I'm going to Bryan to get my mom", but never "I'm going to Bryan/College Station to get my mom". Of course I live in College Station and that would be silly.
Tyrannosaurus Ross
AG
That Cowboys game was recorded on November 15, 1964. Pretty interesting.
“A crowded world thinks that aloneness is always loneliness, and that to seek it is perversion.”

John Graves
Goodbye to a River
13B
Turf96 said:

Bryan has tiny you know what syndrome. They fought to claim A&M. Who could blame them?

Still doesn't change the fact they have almost nothing to do with the University. They just happen to be neighbors.

It ends up a lot like the longhorns. They try to fight for superiority yet not many really like them. It's a lot like having a super hot chick live next door and then claim she is yours. Pretty desperate and embarrassing for them actually.
This wins most ignorant/misinformed/worst take ever post of the millennium! Congrats! You're #1!
13B
West Point Aggie said:

I am almost certain this has been discussed here or maybe on the football board but why do broadcasts begin by saying welcome to Davis Diamond or Bluebell Park or Kyle Field in Bryan-College Station?

Unless you're referring to a building up in the TAMUS offices, every single athletic facility is entirely in CS…is this to get them "airtime"? Is this a re-branding? Is this another "Sharp-ism" like effing up the university seal?

It should not bother me like it does, but geographic accuracy should matter.
You are correct, it shouldn't bother you,
TexasRebel
AG
trouble said:

I don't say either of those things. I either say Kyle or Olsen depending on where I'm headed.

People around here would have no clue what you're talking about.
trouble
AG
TexasRebel said:

trouble said:

People around here would have no clue what you're talking about.

That's only part of why I don't live in Oklahoma.
TexasRebel
AG
I'll have it annexed soon enough.
Azeew
75AG said:

Congrats! Most of us say The Station, or (God help us) CStat. But you be you.

LOL for saying "The Station"
TyHolden
AG
College Station doesn't have this....

https://bigbarndance.com/home-bryan/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.