Justin Lamkin
2,445 Views | 13 Replies
MMantle
10:41a, 4/22/24
Baseball is tough, winning is not easy, especially in the SEC, I've always been a proponent of, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

i.e., would you change something, even if you're winning?

Justin Lamkin's last 4 starts

Auburn 3.1 IP 9 H 4 R
Sou Carolina 3.1 IP 6 H 5 R
Vanderbilt 1.2 IP 4 H 4 R
Alabama 1.2 IP 5 H 5 R

10 innings, 24 hits, 18 runs.

Not sure what the options are (Wilson?) but, one way or another, this needs to change as we approach the post-season.

RR
twk
10:48a, 4/22/24
Personally, I think I would go TBA for Sunday. If you get through Friday and Saturday without using Sdao, I would start him. But, of course, I don't know what's going on during the week with workouts, so I'll trust Schloss and Max to figure it out.
The Marksman
10:54a, 4/22/24
Schloss needs to give Lamkin the Micah Dallas treatment. Pull him from the rotation, stick him in the bullpen, let him get in a groove and find his rhythm, then bring him back into the starting rotation as we approach the tournament. It worked in 2022 for Dallas, wonder if it would work for Justin.
Gyles Marrett
11:03a, 4/22/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Personally, I think I would go TBA for Sunday. If you get through Friday and Saturday without using Sdao, I would start him. But, of course, I don't know what's going on during the week with workouts, so I'll trust Schloss and Max to figure it out.
I think this is the most you possible make a change. If you somehow get to game 3 without either Sdao or Cortez then one of them gets the starts....I do think Lampkin will get it back together as tome point though.
Sean98
11:26a, 4/22/24
In reply to MMantle
The question is, if you make a change who do you go to? And what vacancy does that change create? Lamkin hasn't looked great. But the #1 complaint, on this board at least, is middle relievers. So pulling Sdao or Cortez weakens that pool. Unless you think Lamkin magically becomes better in that role. We've tried Cortez, Morton, B-Mont, etc on Tuesday against less powerful lineups and they haven't exactly excelled either.

To be clear, you're not wrong. I'm sure the coaching staff is looking. But there's not a magic bullet available or doesn't appear. Baseball is hard.
W
11:29a, 4/22/24
and of course Lamkin threw his best game in the critical rubber game at Blue Bell vs. State

the Ags had to win that one
Killzone3abc
1:18p, 4/22/24
Cortez is not starting a game anytime soon, as his issues have consistently been confidence and control which he's seemingly got in a decent spot right now in the pen. Coach specifically addressed Sdao being a starter earlier in the season and mentioned he didn't like how Sdao paced himself as a starter versus as a reliever. From the interview I heard today Wansing isn't anywhere close to being ready to start. Aschenbeck was a starter (and a damn good one I'm told by my friend that pitched with him) at Blinn, but he's too valuable out of the pen.

If you're going to pull Lamkin from Sunday there is no clear replacement. Preseason if you'd asked me who our 4th starter was if not Sdao, Cortez, or Wansing I'd have said Wilson from all the hype about how he was looking, but he hasn't pitched much this season. None of the young guys have locked down the Tuesday spot to get the nod to move up either.

I think we have 3 realistic options, and a 4th less realistic option:

1-Ride out this rut with Lamkin staying on Sundays

2-Swap Lamkin and Sdao's roles to get Lamkin in a groove then swap them back. You deal with Sdao being less effective for the time he's starting, but if it gets Lamkin going again in time for the post season it's completely worth it.

3-Change the weekend rotation order. Move Jones to Sunday and Lamkin to Saturday and hope their mindsets are better suited to the type of opposition they will face. Lamkin has suffered greatly from being the 3rd guy agaisnt a team desperate to avoid a sweep.

4-Move Lamkin to the pen or Tuesday starter and try Wilson, or Morton, or Antolick, or Stewart on Sundays. At this point in the season I think it's too late to be doing that with weekend rotation guys though. I think Stewart or Wilson are the 2 most liekly to get that chance if this is the riute we went, but its a huge gamble as Stewart hasn't demonstrated the ability to eat enough innings, and Wilson had a late start to the season.

I think we should keep the starter hunting to Tuesdays and go with options 1 or 2 personally.
MMantle
2:26p, 4/22/24
Rudis can start, throws strikes, can probably go 3-4 and keep us in the game, piece it together from there.

RR
cs69ag
2:42p, 4/22/24
It is ironic that Max Weiner told Schloss that Lampkin had his best week of practice
prior to his bama start. I trust Max and Schloss to figure it all out.
Wabs
4:29p, 4/22/24
It would be nice for Wansing to be a factor, but I don't know it that is going to happen.
StinkyPinky
4:54p, 4/22/24
I was hoping Isaac Morton was going to show enough start the threaten the starting rotation. He's just nor ready yet. I think Cortez would be next in line based on experience and capability. Seems like he's gotten his arms around the control issues. Has demonstrated accordingly in several long relief appearances.
AggieBB
6:37p, 4/22/24
In reply to The Marksman
The Marksman said:

Schloss needs to give Lamkin the Micah Dallas treatment. Pull him from the rotation, stick him in the bullpen, let him get in a groove and find his rhythm, then bring him back into the starting rotation as we approach the tournament. It worked in 2022 for Dallas, wonder if it would work for Justin.
This! Obviously the kid has tremendous upside. He's just in a funk. Same with Micah in 2022. Worked out pretty well for him.
AggieBB
6:41p, 4/22/24
I would like to see Wilson get a start and see how he does. That kid has REALLY good stuff.
Decay
6:49p, 4/22/24
I think this year you can ride with it a little bit. Giving up 4-5 runs in as many innings isn't really the end of the world with this team. Hopefully the extra length helps develop him some.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings