SEC Midweek Games (4/23)
10,598 Views | 148 Replies
Luke The Drifter
9:49a, 4/24/24
In reply to jkag89
jkag89 said:

Those are pretty strong 2 and 3 seeds to be sent to a Natty Seed.

Why do you think the Beavers are not going to host?

I have no idea why I posted Oregon State when I was thinking Oklahoma.

1. TAMU
2. OU
3. DBU/Lamar
4. Sacrificial team from the northeast

DBU is in a bad slide right now. They could still turn it around and move up the ladder, and they've played (and beaten) some decent non-conference opponents. But their last 3 weekends have been series losses to Western Kentucky, Air Force, and Louisiana Tech. Problem is, their last 4 weekends are against fairly weak teams that won't help their RPI - at FIU (RPI 103), Jacksonville State (166), Liberty (153), and at Middle Tennessee State (237). Their 2 remaining midweek games are SFA (298) and UT-Arlington (147).

DBU has nice single games wins against OU (18) twice, oSu (25) twice, Arizona (29), and Alabama (17), and they did beat RPI 31 San Diego in 2 of 3 one weekend, but outside of that, their best weekend series win is winning 2 of 3 at RPI 87 Sam Houston.

While Lamar has a gaudy 30-8 overall record, their RPI is only #52. They did sweep RPI 18 Oklahoma in Norman, but after that their best wins are single game victories over RPI 54 Illinois-Chicago and RPI 87 SHSU.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
twk
9:58a, 4/24/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

Isn't the primary geographic consideration bus or no bus? Meaning, once you have to fly, the cost difference between a 1.5 and 3 hr flight are pretty marginal.
It is one of the factors. Perhaps the only one actually in print. But, especially since they now seed 1-16, they do seem to take competitive balance a little big into consideration, and they do occasionally give you a break from the pairings that would be suggested by geography when you are looking at repeating a matchup too many times.
A-A Ron
11:03a, 4/24/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

A-A Ron said:

W said:

worth noting that Nebraska (25-13) has slid down to RPI #23

3-7 in their last 10 games

only two top 50 games left on their schedule

going to be a 2-seed somewhere

Will probably end up in the CS regional.... like the basketball pairings.
Arkansas has as many connections and is a lot closer.
It was more of a joke off of, A&M got NU's AD and shortly after that 2 committees put A&M vs Nebraska in a postseason tournament together. Also agree with Jkag that if t.u. happens to make it they will be slated into a forced pairing in CS.
twk
11:04a, 4/24/24
In reply to A-A Ron
A-A Ron said:

twk said:

A-A Ron said:

W said:

It was more of a joke off of, A&M got NU's AD and shortly after that 2 committees put A&M vs Nebraska in a postseason tournament together. Also agree with Jkag that if t.u. happens to make it they will be slated into a forced pairing in CS.
I understand, but your joke is funny because its based in truth. All too often, the selection committee in various sports seems to match us up with teams with which we have some kind of recent connection.
Luke The Drifter
11:23a, 4/24/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

A-A Ron said:

twk said:

A-A Ron said:

W said:

I understand, but your joke is funny because its based in truth. All too often, the selection committee in various sports seems to match us up with teams with which we have some kind of recent connection.

Wait til our regional is A&M, NU, Texas, and some 4-seed.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
RED AG 98
11:30a, 4/24/24
In reply to Luke The Drifter
Honestly, if tu is in the field I fully expect them to be in CS. They are nearby and this is pretty much the last opportunity for the NCAA to do so. Them making the field is the only open question here in my mind.
Sean98
12:09p, 4/24/24
In reply to RED AG 98
It's out, so get to it!! (I haven't listened yet.)
AgEng06
3:26p, 4/24/24
Didn't want to create a new thread, so I'll put this here. Click through for all 16 regions.

https://instagr.am/p/C6KCo3Du2UR
RED AG 98
3:49p, 4/24/24
Here are the latest projections from D1 Nerdcast (link) and Field of 64 (link)...

• Right on cue, tu is in CS. I expect nothing less. Looking at Boyd's RPI Needs, I think they are in if they are around .500 the rest of the way. Almost ready to just book this one.
  • Outside of redhot Arizona, I do love this draw of the other 6 for us. I think the only other Super I'd rather be matched with here is 11 Indiana St. That seems like a weaker regional to me but I don't know a lot how Ind St right now to be honest.
  • There are more teams out "West" here than I expected. I counted 10 that are west of Texas in my very loose geographical accounting...
  • I could a couple of 2 seeds making some noise with this particular grouping. A couple from NC State, Alabama, Vandy, or Georgia would not surprise me.
W
4:45p, 4/24/24
just think back to the 2022 CS regional

Schloss' previous team is the 2-seed (TCU)

and Deggs, former coach, brings in the 3-seed (Lafayette)
RED AG 98
5:31p, 4/24/24
A few top 25 games tonight if you are so inclined:

Houston Christian @ #17 Louisiana, 6 PM, ESPN+
(I hope the Fightin' Berkmans give 'em hell!)

#13 Coastal at Creighton, 6 PM, FloBaseball (barf)
(Go Chants! They are looking to split the mid-week series after losing last night.)

#16 Arizona at New Mexico St, 7 PM, ESPN+
(Lost to NMST at home ~1 month ago. But AZ is scorching hot now, winners of 15 of last 16)
jkag89
6:23p, 4/24/24
In reply to RED AG 98
Quote:

Houston Christian @ #17 Louisiana, 6 PM, ESPN+
This one started off a lot like our game last night. Underdog road team puts up a crooked number in the 1st, bottom half of the inning at 'em balls.

HCU 2 - ULaLa 0 T2
RED AG 98
6:28p, 4/24/24
In reply to jkag89
Yep. Didn't see it super well but the 3B played that L5 pretty cas. Was smoked.
dermdoc
6:43p, 4/24/24
Lamar up 3-1
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RED AG 98
7:00p, 4/24/24
In reply to jkag89
Added 2 more in the 3rd...

HCU 4, #17 ULaLa 0, B4
RED AG 98
7:17p, 4/24/24
Lot of traffic, but HCU limits the damage to just 1. Already used 4 pitchers.

HCU 4, ULaLa 1, T5
PhatMack19
7:26p, 4/24/24
dabo man
7:29p, 4/24/24
I'm watching the Blue Jays at the Royals. Home team up 2-0 in the bottom of the 3rd.

The Royals had 19 new players on this year's opening day roster and are actually having a nice season. They made excellent use of the transfer portal.
dermdoc
7:32p, 4/24/24
Houston Christian winning 9-1 at ULala
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RED AG 98
7:32p, 4/24/24
In reply to RED AG 98
5 spot in the 5th for the Fightin' Berkmans!

9 HCU, 1 ULaLa, M5

Agthatbuilds
7:43p, 4/24/24
In reply to AgEng06
AgEng06 said:

Didn't want to create a new thread, so I'll put this here. Click through for all 16 regions.

https://instagr.am/p/C6KCo3Du2UR

Gross
RED AG 98
7:59p, 4/24/24
HCU is melting. Should have been out of it with a tailor made double play but 2 massive Es have cost them 5 runs so far. Still up 9-7, but Cajuns still batting with 2 on and 1 away.

Edit: out of it. HCU 9, ULaLa 7, E5
RED AG 98
8:35p, 4/24/24
HCU gets another in the 7th. Now up 10-7 after 7.
RED AG 98
8:35p, 4/24/24
Arizona handling NM State just fine tonight. Up 6-0 after 5.
dixichkn
8:51p, 4/24/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

Honestly, if tu is in the field I fully expect them to be in CS. They are nearby and this is pretty much the last opportunity for the NCAA to do so. Them making the field is the only open question here in my mind.
Absolutely disagree. If you've noticed over the years, the only times they pair up A&M and tu in the postseason in ANY sport is when they're relatively sure that tu can beat us. "Put us in our place". They never seem to match us up when we're clearly the better team. Which is absolutely the case this year in baseball

I'd be shocked if they were sent to CS
RED AG 98
8:55p, 4/24/24
HCU CF has a play on ball at the wall.... just misses it. 2 run triple.
Going to the 9th.

HCU 10, ULaLa 9.
LB12Diamond
8:55p, 4/24/24
In reply to dixichkn
I have noticed that one as well. For instance, this year in basketball.
agsalaska
8:57p, 4/24/24
Cool.

Just got pointed to this thread from the Stros thread after realizing Lance Bergman is managing HCU

Turned this one on when it was 9-1 HCU.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
jkag89
9:00p, 4/24/24
In reply to agsalaska
Lance Bergman?
agsalaska
9:02p, 4/24/24
In reply to jkag89
That would be Lance Berkman.

Blame Apple auto correct
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
RED AG 98
9:11p, 4/24/24
The Fightin' Lance Berkmans get it done.

HCU 10, ULaLa 9 F
RED AG 98
9:13p, 4/24/24
If you still have Flo, Coastal and Creighton are knotted 4-4 heading to the 9th.
agsalaska
9:37p, 4/24/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

The Fightin' Lance Berkmans get it done.

HCU 10, ULaLa 9 F

Game of the night
RED AG 98
9:42p, 4/24/24
ULaLa takes a drastic 14 spot hit in the RPI, tumbling all the way down to 57. That's squarely in the danger zone solely based on RPI, but they are way out in front in the Sunbelt, sitting at 15-3. The next closest teams are 3 at 11-7 and 2 at 10-8.
RED AG 98
9:48p, 4/24/24
Another Sunbelt team goes down. Creighton Bluejays walk off the Coastal Chanticleers.

Coastal 4, Creighton 5, F/10
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off