Question about Condon

3,336 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by swimmerbabe11
agspirit_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't watched ANY Georgia baseball this season. I've only heard the hype surrounding the phenomenal year Condon is having. My question is more regarding the lineup surrounding him. Would we be able to just pitch around him and intentionally walk him all weekend? Teams can't really do that to Jace or Bmont because of Jackson behind them… any thoughts from someone with more knowledge of Georgia baseball than me?
aeroag14
AG
They have one of the best offensive lineups in the country top to bottom. If you removed Condons home runs, they would still have 75 as a team, good for 5th in the conference, right behind us. THeir BA as a team would still be in the high .200s if you removed Condon.

He is the most dangerous piece of the lineup. But, even with out him, they are a WAY more than capable lineup.
agspirit_09
AG
aeroag14 said:

They have one of the best offensive lineups in the country top to bottom. If you removed Condons home runs, they would still have 75 as a team, good for 5th in the conference, right behind us. THeir BA as a team would still be in the high .200s if you removed Condon.

He is the most dangerous piece of the lineup. But, even with out him, they are a WAY more than capable lineup.

That answers my question. Maybe we see a situational intentional walk, hopefully he starts his slump tomorrow.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
don't walk batters in front of him. if they get on with a hit it is what it is but don't walk guys. we do that even if he gets hold of one the damage is minimal.
jkag89
I'm not trying to minimize the danger in Condon's bat but he is not superman, teams have been able to contain him. Example Clemson this past Tuesday. In a 15 inning game he went 1 for 4 (a single), 3BB, 2K grounded into a DP.

1st Inning: 1 out, nobody on, struck out swing on a 3-2 count
3rd Inning: 1 out, runner on first, grounded in to a DP (6-4-3) on a 3-2 count.
5th Inning: 1 out, runner on second, IBB (Next batter walked to load the bases, following flied out to RF)
7th Inning: 1 out, runner on 1st, walked on a 3-1 pitch (Uga did score a run this inning)
9th Inning: 1 out, runner on 1st, IBB (Uga plated the tying run this inning)
11th Inning: 1 out, nobody on, struck out swinging on a 1-2 pitch
14th Inning: lead off the inning, single on a 1-1 pitch (next batter walked, then K, DP}
McInnis
AG
The dawgs have six starters hitting .300 or better, same as the Aggies. The big difference is in pitching where the Aggies have a team era of 3.71 compared to 5.07 for Georgia. After this past week it can be hard to remember how good our pitching has been this year.

RED AG 98
AG
I agree we're the better pitching team top to bottom, but some of their perceived pitching deficiency is because of how hitter friendly their ballpark is too. The RF foul pole is only 314'.

Their ace missed all of his April starts with shoulder soreness but seems to be back. He pitched a couple Saturday and then again a couple vs Clemson in the midweek marathon on Tuesday. They are a scary team with their offense.
RED AG 98
AG
jkag89 said:

I'm not trying to minimize the danger in Condon's bat but he is not superman, teams have been able to contain him. Example Clemson this past Tuesday. In a 15 inning game he went 1 for 4 (a single), 3BB, 2K grounded into a DP.

1st Inning: 1 out, nobody on, struck out swing on a 3-2 count
3rd Inning: 1 out, runner on first, grounded in to a DP (6-4-3) on a 3-2 count.
5th Inning: 1 out, runner on second, IBB (Next batter walked to load the bases, following flied out to RF)
7th Inning: 1 out, runner on 1st, walked on a 3-1 pitch (Uga did score a run this inning)
9th Inning: 1 out, runner on 1st, IBB (Uga plated the tying run this inning)
11th Inning: 1 out, nobody on, struck out swinging on a 1-2 pitch
14th Inning: lead off the inning, single on a 1-1 pitch (next batter walked, then K, DP}
Regardless of what split you look at, the numbers are absolutely gaudy - Home, Away, Conference only. I think it's been a bit since someone was slashing .480 / .580 / 1.10 with an OPS of 1.68 this late in the season. He's not superman, but he absolutely destroys mistakes. As pointed out above, it's critical to limit anything free in front of him, especially given the anticipated wind conditions.
stretch248
One time I am good with a HBP. Set the tone early with him and make him think about it.
ensign_beedrill
AG
stretch248 said:

One time I am good with a HBP. Set the tone early with him and make him think about it.
That's ridiculous.
agspirit_09
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

stretch248 said:

That's ridiculous.

Yeah, it's not the 90s dude.
DatTallArchitect
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I agree we're the better pitching team top to bottom, but some of their perceived pitching deficiency is because of how hitter friendly their ballpark is too. The RF foul pole is only 314'.
That cuts both ways and also plays into their offensive stats
RED AG 98
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

RED AG 98 said:

That cuts both ways and also plays into their offensive stats
Yes, agreed. Most people account for that for hitters but sometimes don't with respect to pitching. I also looked at the offensive numbers home vs away and while it's different, it wasn't quite as massive as what I was expecting. The leads to believe the offense is elite, regardless of ballpark. The pitching is not.
tjack16
AG
My question about him… is his last name a typo? Does the condon provide protection for others in the lineup? Does he practice safe sets when the team lifts weights. Does he help his team win a SEX series

I'll see myself out
Serious Lee
collins behind him is a really dangerous hitter. had 10 or 11 hrs before he even hit his 1st double of the year. its about as scary 1-2 punch as jace/braden
Wabs
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

don't walk batters in front of him. if they get on with a hit it is what it is but don't walk guys. we do that even if he gets hold of one the damage is minimal.
100X this. We cannot live with walks this series. Similar to our team, Georgia will eat you up if you give them free bases.....
REMARCH11
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Their ace missed all of his April starts with shoulder soreness but seems to be back. He pitched a couple Saturday and then again a couple vs Clemson in the midweek marathon on Tuesday. They are a scary team with their offense.

You bring to a great point about there ballpark.

How many more home runs would our team have if our RF wall was only 315? Another 20? That would change our numbers pretty dramatically. I've seen a lot of fly balls caught at the warning track.

This is going to be a great series. I expect to see a lot of scoring.
God,....I really hate the sips!
agspirit_09
AG
REMARCH11 said:

RED AG 98 said:

How many more home runs would our team have if our RF wall was only 315? Another 20? That would change our numbers pretty dramatically. I've seen a lot of fly balls caught at the warning track.

maybe so… but their Left field fence is 350. How many balls wouldn't have gone out had we added 20 ft to left. It honestly would have evened out.
TheBonifaceOption
He's got strikeouts.

He isn't impervious.

Pitch to him.

Keep it low.
twk
AG
agspirit_09 said:

REMARCH11 said:

RED AG 98 said:

maybe so… but their Left field fence is 350. How many balls wouldn't have gone out had we added 20 ft to left. It honestly would have evened out.
If you overlayed Olsen and Foley, they would have a little triangle in the left field corner that is deeper than Olsen; rather tiny, actually. The fence angles in big time from the pole, and once you get to left center, it's 15-20 feet shorter than Olsen the rest of the way around.
RED AG 98
AG
twk said:

agspirit_09 said:

REMARCH11 said:

RED AG 98 said:

If you overlayed Olsen and Foley, they would have a little triangle in the left field corner that is deeper than Olsen; rather tiny, actually. The fence angles in big time from the pole, and once you get to left center, it's 15-20 feet shorter than Olsen the rest of the way around.
Exactly what I was going to say. There is a small triangle from the LF pole to about halfway to the alley, and then it's smaller everywhere else. Notably smaller at the power alleys and RF. LF is big, and CF is kinda normal.
trouble
AG
I don't know. We're hitting balls out to left that are consistently clearing Aggie Alley. I'm not sure an additional 20' is keeping that many in
Randy Rhodes
He puts his pants on just like everyone else, one leg at a time, except when his pants are on he hits dingers
condoaggie
StinkyPinky
AG
I asked a similar question earlier in the week. Then I took at a look at their hitting performance over the season and was shocked. I thought we were more of a lone anomaly this season, but Georgia matches us in offense across the majority of their line up. Surprised they don't have a better record. Definitely an indictment of their pitching that we will no question have to take advantage of to win these games. Suspect this will be a war, looking forward to it!
Sean98
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

He's got strikeouts.

He isn't impervious.

Pitch to him.

Keep it low.
The key in conference plays is to keep the HRs to solo shots. College players vs college pitchers with hot balls are going to hit dingers. Make sure there's no traffic on the bases when you get to the danger guys.
stretch248
How your feel now?
stretch248
It worked in the 90's. Guess the woke crowd frowns upon hitting someone with a ball
agspirit_09
AG
Not a bad outing so far. I'll take it
ensign_beedrill
AG
stretch248 said:

How your feel now?

I feel just fine.
stretch248
Still not ready to plunk him? I mean they are armored like a catcher. It hurts a lot less than a HR
trouble
AG
He hit into a FC. Why would we plunk him?
phatty26
Kid is a stud SEC player of the year as of right now.
swimmerbabe11
stretch248 said:

Think about what? How y'all would rather "make a statement" than win a baseball game?

You people who think HBP is a routine strategy are wild. No one thinks that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.