Concession costs at Blue Bell

9,504 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by ensign_beedrill
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Too bad it's Sharp's call and not the AD
Unless the contract has been extended, likely ends in 2026.

" Phillip Ray, chief business development officer for the A&M University System, said the 12-year deal will net the university $50 million over the course of the contract. The university had been providing food services at the athletics facilities in-house and put the services out for bid. This contract tops Levy's contract with Ohio State University, which was considered the largest among the nation's colleges."

But note the net profit the school makes over the term…and Sharp collects a good bit of that at contract signing. Which highlights the word CONCESSION…

https://www.foodservicedirector.com/operations/levy-restaurants-outsource-foodservices-am-athletic-facilities
jja79
AG
12Power said:

Who is cramming snow cones and hot dogs in there pants?

If it were the right thing to do it wouldn't have been suggested to wrap cups in towels and hide them at the bottom of a bag.
cajunken
SIAP, but I am worried that the cost of concessions may factor in to NCAA regional hostings. Of course, if A&M continues on course, there is no way the NCAA can deny a regional or super-regional from happening here. But, I've been associated with SEC schools a couple of decades before A&M joined the fold, and the NCAA committee factored in fan experience. I would presume that includes availability of seats and concession costs.
Sean98
AG
The NCAA selection committee is not at all interested in the cost of our churros.
Bullpen Chias
AG
cajunken said:

SIAP, but I am worried that the cost of concessions may factor in to NCAA regional hostings. Of course, if A&M continues on course, there is no way the NCAA can deny a regional or super-regional from happening here. But, I've been associated with SEC schools a couple of decades before A&M joined the fold, and the NCAA committee factored in fan experience. I would presume that includes availability of seats and concession costs.

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible opinion.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I felt like the food in Kentucky was better and cheaper than at Olsen.
trouble
AG
It does but I don't trust him to enter into a better one, for the fans.
Buford T. Justice
AG
It's called "the fan experience," and it is important.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
BQ_90
AG
Only hope is I think the contract ends this spring. I could have sworn Bjork talked about this last fall that new contract would be awarded this summer and kick in beginning of fall sports

Of course Levy could still win the contract, the issue will be will Sharp insert himself into the contract and demeaned cash up front again for,the University
BQ_90
AG
cajunken said:

If levy will keep us from hosting this year, why hasn't it been a factor in other years
Tyrone Shoelaces
AG
This x 10^6!
deh40
AG
Heard we just signed a new 15 contract with Levy.
BQ_90
AG
deh40 said:

from who???? or what source
iisanaggie
AG
Aggie dogs in late 80's and early 90's were amazing. Anyone know where they were sourced from?

The sausage wraps that they have at the football games, are about the only thing I will eat now. I usually have to have some of kind food to get through those. We usually eat before games and share a drink at other events.

The thing that is exasperating is the incompetence of whoever decides how to stock concession stands. There is absolutely no excuse for running out of straws, lids, etc. in the first quarter of football games. This is a regular occurrence in the 3rd deck of the Zone. Maybe you have a rush on a particular food and run out for awhile, but basic supplies should always be stocked.

One issue that I did find out a few years ago is that many of the concession stands at Kyle (I don't know about the other venues) do not have the ability to cook/prepare food. So it has to be cooked somewhere else and then transported to the different stands. Have you seen them trying to push huge carts of food through the crowds? Pretty ridiculous!
deh40
AG
BQ_90 said:

deh40 said:

from who???? or what source
A vendor
src94
AG
They bought the hotdogs in bulk back then. We're still trying to get through that stock of them.
bonfarr
AG
iisanaggie said:

Aggie dogs in late 80's and early 90's were amazing. Anyone know where they were sourced from?

The sausage wraps that they have at the football games, are about the only thing I will eat now. I usually have to have some of kind food to get through those. We usually eat before games and share a drink at other events.

The thing that is exasperating is the incompetence of whoever decides how to stock concession stands. There is absolutely no excuse for running out of straws, lids, etc. in the first quarter of football games. This is a regular occurrence in the 3rd deck of the Zone. Maybe you have a rush on a particular food and run out for awhile, but basic supplies should always be stocked.

One issue that I did find out a few years ago is that many of the concession stands at Kyle (I don't know about the other venues) do not have the ability to cook/prepare food. So it has to be cooked somewhere else and then transported to the different stands. Have you seen them trying to push huge carts of food through the crowds? Pretty ridiculous!

I was at a vendor fishing trip and an Aramark GM was there, this was maybe year 2 of our Levy deal. I asked him about the contract and he said Aramark reviewed it and saw lots of problems especially the kitchens being on the bottom of the stadium and the food having to be transported.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
iisanaggie
AG
I am sure that 30 year-old hot dogs would be better than the junk hot dogs they sell now!
twk
AG
greg.w.h said:

trouble said:

" Phillip Ray, chief business development officer for the A&M University System, said the 12-year deal will net the university $50 million over the course of the contract. The university had been providing food services at the athletics facilities in-house and put the services out for bid. This contract tops Levy's contract with Ohio State University, which was considered the largest among the nation's colleges."

But note the net profit the school makes over the term…and Sharp collects a good bit of that at contract signing. Which highlights the word CONCESSION…

https://www.foodservicedirector.com/operations/levy-restaurants-outsource-foodservices-am-athletic-facilities

This is the issue. Some pro teams have decided that instead of bidding out concessions for a guaranteed contract, they will take less money and control concession pricing so that the fans have a good experience. Levy is involved in some of these contract, if I recall correctly. The problem isn't Levy, it's John Sharp. Like most politicians, he will take the up front money for the short term boost to the bottom line and not worry about the consequences.
B$Weigem
AG
twk said:

greg.w.h said:

trouble said:

This is the issue. Some pro teams have decided that instead of bidding out concessions for a guaranteed contract, they will take less money and control concession pricing so that the fans have a good experience. Levy is involved in some of these contract, if I recall correctly. The problem isn't Levy, it's John Sharp. Like most politicians, he will take the up front money for the short term boost to the bottom line and not worry about the consequences.
In addition, I would be willing to bet that when Sharp does attend a sporting event he is in a suite that has other food and drink options that aren't available to the masses. It's upsetting how they screw the people who actually attend and support our athletic teams from concessions to parking.
twk
AG
B$Weigem said:

twk said:

greg.w.h said:

trouble said:

In addition, I would be willing to bet that when Sharp does attend a sporting event he is in a suite that has other food and drink options that aren't available to the masses. It's upsetting how they screw the people who actually attend and support our athletic teams from concessions to parking.
The Levy deal affects suite holders, too. From what I've been told, they can't have outside catering, and what Levy does provide is expensive. As a result, some suite holders simply rely on concessions rather than Levy's catering.
cottonpatchag
AG
Levy has chicken wraps in storage just like McDonald's has McRibs. They have vintage popcorn that is just waiting to be unbagged from the first of the contract. Some of it is marked " Fan Experience Committee Select " and can if you ask the right Freshman working they will slip you some. Kinda grainy and smushed but really good.
ensign_beedrill
AG
twk said:

B$Weigem said:

twk said:

greg.w.h said:

trouble said:

The Levy deal affects suite holders, too. From what I've been told, they can't have outside catering, and what Levy does provide is expensive. As a result, some suite holders simply rely on concessions rather than Levy's catering.
Don't think he's talking about catering. We in the stands aren't getting the chicken wings and short rib nachos and loaded churros that they're constantly talking about on the radio. Levy sells some pretty cool/nice stuff like this (still expensive) in the club that they do not serve in the rest of the stadium.

And actually, what does Levy provide to the masses? Hotdogs and stale popcorn and prepackaged candy and peanuts, I guess. Everything else is provided by outside vendors (Mas Fajitas, Walkons, Rudy's, Costa Vida, Ben's).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.