Pitching…

4,999 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by ChemEng94
MMantle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're saying the same thing.

My last post was to simply point out how inconsistent the two have been, sometimes they go 5+ innings, sometimes less than 2.

RR
StinkyPinky
AG
The Marksman said:

AgLA06 said:

The Marksman said:

MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

I think there's enough reason to be a bit concerned about pitching, as we approach the post-season.

RR
If you want to be concerned about one of the top 5 pitching staffs in the nation, by all means by my guest

Look. You may not like it, but he's not wrong. Especially when the SEC championship is most likely coming down to the final weekend against a much better pitching staff. And we're only the third best pitching staff in the conference at this point. We've slipped below Tennessee as of this weekend.

Just one of your starters getting run early can knock a good team out of the post-season early. And we've had a run of that lately.

I just don't understand acting like we are the only team in the country with pitching struggles from time to time when we are statistically one of the top 5 staffs in the country. Many posters on here act like we have the worst pitchers in the SEC when that's simply not the case. You can be displeased with our pitching all you want, but the reality is that they are one of the top 5 pitching staffs in the country. If that's not good enough for you, suit yourself.
I honestly just chalk it up to people aren't really paying attention when they criticize the pitching based on a game or two and ignore them. We are head and shoulders better than last year and one of the reasons we are #1 in the country. Yes, our pitchers have had ups and downs, but as someone said earlier it is an artifact of consistency variation as opposed to ability/talent gaps.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
We're saying the same thing about Lamkin and Jones.

You also said that our pitching stats are "misleading" because they include early season games against scrubs.

When you look at the numbers compared with the rest of the country (which also includes games against scrubs), they are, in fact, quite impressive.
aginlakeway
AG
MMantle said:

1) Our season pitching stats are a bit misleading, as they consist of multiple shutouts against the likes of Rhode Island, Wagner and McNeese.

2) Agreed, talent is not the issue, consistency is.

The following is the number of innings pitched per start by Lamkin and Jones in SEC play, Lamkin is the first number, Jones the second.

Florida, 4.2, 2.1
Miss State, 7.1, 4.0
Auburn, 3.1, 5.0
South Carolina, 3.1, 2.2
Vanderbilt, 1.2, 7.1
Alabama, 1.2, 4.1
Georgia, 5.2, 1.1

Some good, some not so good.

RR

Isn't that the case with other pitching staff's stats as well?
BoerneGator
AG
It's worth pointing out that Schloss has a VERY short leash on his pitchers. It seems he's always ready to try the "next good arm" waiting on our bullpen. I trust his instincts and judgement. He has high expectations for his players/team, and challenges them constantly. That's the nature of competition, and that philosophy will yield championships.

Patience will be rewarded, but fans naturally lack it. Schloss is in control. That is all.
Sterling82
Whether it's a slump at the plate or a bad outing by a pitcher, it's baseball. Last week Jones was good, this week he got shellacked. Last week Lamkin struggled, this week he was magnificent. Heck, I remember the great one, Wacha, getting bombed against the sips once. As stated above, the key is managing it. And we do a good job of that.
Randy Rhodes
Bullpen

Lefties:
Sarge
Sdao
Wilson

Righties:
Rudis
Peery
Cortez
Stewart
ChemEng94
AG
It was good to see Kaiden have a nice outing last night. He has fantastic stuff. I know Schloss really like his stuff and has tried to get Kaiden a couple of chances in SEC play. So far, they haven't worked out.
For him, I think it is all about the mental side of things. Hopefully, he can build off of last night and provide some good innings in SEC play going forward.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.