What are the odds!

2,357 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jkag89
The BroManDingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of you may remember about a month ago I posted about a foul I snagged from Ted Burton. I've been to 100s of games prior to this season and I was just amazed I wound up with a foul.

Well tonight the wife, I and my middle child were sitting on the lawn and a Georgia batter fouled one off that came down like a missile right between my legs. I was juggling 2 fresh Dos Equis and managed to catch it on the bounce. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket!

Hope we sweep tomorrow and hang it to them!
The BroManDingo
This is my foul from Teddy.

Wife and I going to Thursday Arkansas opener. Told her we're taking separate vehicles so I can stay after to get as many signatures as I can.
Hehateme1
Nice, I'm jelly
91AggieLawyer
AG
In the '80s and '90s they didn't let us keep foul balls. They'd send the DDs up to retrieve them. Once they (DDs) got into the general area, everyone would point in a different direction! Man, I miss those days.

The closest I ever got to keeping one back then was once I was walking into a game late -- probably 2nd inning, third base side. At that time, there was a wire fence beyond Olsen probably 30 feet. I look up and here comes this foul ball but it lands inside the fence, hits the concrete, bounces over the fence and I catch it without breaking stride. A bunch of kids were in that area inside the fence running after the ball hollering -- I guess expecting me to toss the ball to them, they didn't say or I didn't hear/understand them -- but I kept walking. I gave the ball to the ticket people. I only had shorts and a t-shirt on so no place to hide the ball and didn't feel like walking back to my car.
BCO07
AG
We were sitting on the lawn about 5 or 6 years ago with our kids, all under 8 at the time. They were going back and for from the play ground all game and having a great time. They happened to all be back with me when a towering fowl ball comes our way, I turn to get the kids out of the way assuming my wife had at least a slight sense of self preservation. I was wrong. She just stared at the ball like a deer in headlights watched it hit her knee. She limped for 3 days
AXISMEAT
AG
Nice! I've attended countless games as well, and never got a chance at a ball myself. Took my brother and neice to a game earlier this season and almost instantly, he has a foul land right in his lap off the bounce. A couple of games later and my brother in law catches one while walking back from concessions.
Randy Rhodes
Too bad the foul ball from yesterday wasn't from Teddy also

Then you could have benn known as Teddys 2 balls
Sea Pony 07
AG
I kept one from Gonzo back in like 2007 or 2008 then gave a bunch away to the kids. There was a streak for quite a while where Tuesday and Wednesday games were pretty empty in the old 206 and quite a few balls came up that way.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Remember when the Diamond Darlings used to come and retrieve the foul balls and we played "keep away?"
cavjock88
AG
Late 90s or early 2000s I was at a game with my Dad and he ended up catching one along the first base side of the field. That was shortly after they let you keep them. I remember the foul balls were sponsored by the Dixie Chicken at the time and remember thinking I paid way too much money for that foul ball.
trouble
AG
They are still sponsored by the Chicken
Adam87inSA
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

Too bad the foul ball from yesterday wasn't from Teddy also

Then you could have benn known as Teddys 2 balls
Phrasing
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm a little teapot!
SHSU-AG
After all my years at Olsen, I caught my first foul off the bat of Schott. A little boy, with big blue eyes, a toothy grin and glove was just below me, smiling with his glove open. Needless to say, I don't have the ball anymore.
Hustle, hit, never quit!
BrownDeerAggie
AG
I have the first pitch ball of the '86 season opener against Pan Am. Brutally cold February afternoon. I was sitting second deck third base side. First pitch fouled right to me. DD never came up to get ittoo cold I guess. That Southwest Conference official game ball is one of my favorite Aggie keepsakes.
Psalm 42:1
SA-AG72
AG
I'm glad that foul ball didn't scramble your eggs!
Bullpen Chias
AG
In the early 90s, as an incentive to give the ball back to the DD, you were entered into a raffle they pulled post-season. Our group sat at the visiting bullpen and would get 5-10 baseballs each during the season. So I presume I had that many raffle entries.

I'll be damned, I got a call in June one year that I won the raffle. A pair of Aggie Justin Ropers. Probably the only time I've ever won anything. Ha.
The BroManDingo
If my daughters hadn't been with me both times I'd have done the same!
The BroManDingo
No kidding…told the wife I wasn't sure if just crazy luck…or if God is trying to ding me with baseballs lol.

All great stories everyone!
StinkyPinky
AG
Can you give us a report on how the two fresh XX's faired in the aftermath? I love a good ending….
The BroManDingo
Didn't spill a drop!
Sean98
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

In the '80s and '90s they didn't let us keep foul balls. They'd send the DDs up to retrieve them. Once they (DDs) got into the general area, everyone would point in a different direction! Man, I miss those days.

The closest I ever got to keeping one back then was once I was walking into a game late -- probably 2nd inning, third base side. At that time, there was a wire fence beyond Olsen probably 30 feet. I look up and here comes this foul ball but it lands inside the fence, hits the concrete, bounces over the fence and I catch it without breaking stride. A bunch of kids were in that area inside the fence running after the ball hollering -- I guess expecting me to toss the ball to them, they didn't say or I didn't hear/understand them -- but I kept walking. I gave the ball to the ticket people. I only had shorts and a t-shirt on so no place to hide the ball and didn't feel like walking back to my car.
Teapot! Do the teapot song!
JADE
AG
In 1988, my wife and an oceanography grad student group were celebrating a successful dissertation defense in Aggie Alley behind the outfield fence. Someone in the group collected a home run ball and as a joke they all quickly autographed it before the DD or team manager confiscated it. Apparently, the baseball team thought it was pretty funny so the team autographed a different baseball and sent it out to the group in Aggie Alley. That ball had Byington's, Knoblauch's and Livingstone's signatures on it!
ccard257
AG
I went pretty much my entire life without getting a ball. But my kids are absolute magnets for the damn things. I think the last couple years they've managed about 8-10 between A&M, TCU, and the Rangers and I've made them give a couple away when they each managed one already in a game! We don't go to that many games.
cj774
AG
I remember this practice morphed into the crowd asking the DDs to sing "I'm a little tea pot" to everyone in the area before they got the ball back.
HECUBUS
AG
I offered a DD $20 to keep a foul ball I caugh in '89. Lucky she said "no." I didn't have $20.
jkag89
I assume you meant the intramural fields since there was no Aggie Alley in '88.

Great story by the way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.