Baseball Rankings 4/29
4,241 Views | 31 Replies
jkag89
3:58p, 4/29/24
Because swimmer is trying to change the mojo of her beloved frogs I guess someone has to pick up the Baton

D1 Baseball

College Baseball Nation

Baseball America

Perfect Game

College Baseball Central

USA Today Coaches Poll

Massey Ratings
RED AG 98
4:00p, 4/29/24
GOOD.
cs69ag
4:10p, 4/29/24
In the USA Coaches Poll, Ags get 29 of the 31 first place votes.
One coach picked our Ags at no. 10
RED AG 98
4:10p, 4/29/24
In reply to cs69ag
cs69ag said:

David Pierce is a little elvish fool.
Scooley01
4:13p, 4/29/24
In reply to cs69ag
cs69ag said:

Could it be a typo? Meant to type 1 and typed 10? Because there's no way someone in good faith thinks we're TENTH.
W
4:15p, 4/29/24
the polls are beginning to line up with the RPI fairly well

with a few exceptions

Duke is consensus top 10 but RPI #19 --- not a lock for a regional host -- could be a top 10 2-seed

the rajun cajuns are RPI #51 -- they will be a ranked 3-seed at this point
BANA89
4:15p, 4/29/24
In reply to Scooley01
Scooley01 said:

cs69ag said:

Could it be a typo? Meant to type 1 and typed 10? Because there's no way someone in good faith thinks we're TENTH.

And you assume good faith is involved?
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
RED AG 98
4:23p, 4/29/24
In reply to W
W said:

the polls are beginning to line up with the RPI fairly well

with a few exceptions

Duke is consensus top 10 but RPI #19 --- not a lock for a regional host -- could be a top 10 2-seed

the rajun cajuns are RPI #51 -- they will be a ranked 3-seed at this point
The top is getting there. The other big exception to me is #9 UC Irvine with RPI 26 and SOS 128. No idea what the committee does here. Historically they've leaned heavily on RPI but they have made a few notable exceptions the last couple of years, including in our favor... They are 6-1 vs Q1, which is pretty good. Only 4-4 vs Q2 which is very meh. 7-2 vs Q3 and 15-1 vs Q4.

Another is at the bottom: debut poll entrant #25 Utah, RPI 61 and SOS 135. Likely a 3.
DatTallArchitect
4:54p, 4/29/24
In reply to jkag89
Appreciate you picking up the baton! I enjoy seeing how the different sites compare, and what big moves happen (if any).
tamc93
5:25p, 4/29/24
In reply to cs69ag
cs69ag said:

I saw that earlier as well and thought it had to be a typo. I understand not being #1 by everyone, but #10?
Agsncws
5:41p, 4/29/24
In reply to cs69ag
cs69ag said:

That hi/lo reflects the lowest we've been ranked in the poll this year, not the lowest vote this week.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
tamc93
5:49p, 4/29/24
In reply to Agsncws
Thanks for the clarification. It threw me off too.
RED AG 98
5:54p, 4/29/24
D1 poll in the left column, Warren Nolan RPI and Warren Nolan SOS in the next two.

The red/yellow/green colors are the relative position within the single column. The lowest number is darkest green and the highest number is the darkest red.

MaroonStain
6:34p, 4/29/24
Safe to say we are #1 TEAM in the country with exception of the gnome's vote in Austin.
Tadpole
7:23p, 4/29/24
Dang, what a fun season!
Tadpole '83
Luke The Drifter
7:44p, 4/29/24
In reply to cs69ag
cs69ag said:

I don't think this is correct. There are 31 voters and if we got all 31 first place votes (x25 points per vote), we'd have 775 points. This week we have 772 points...meaning we got:

1st place - 29 votes x 25 points per vote = 725 points
2nd place - 1 vote x 24 points per vote = 24 points
3rd place - 1 vote x 23 points per vote = 23 points

Adding those together you get 725 + 24 + 23 = 772 points

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
7:50p, 4/29/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

cs69ag said:

David Pierce is a little elvish fool.

As much fun as it would be to pile on him during the David Pierce Farewell Tour, he is not a voter this year. Instead, the 31 coaches (or someone on their staff) who vote come from these schools:

• Minnesota
  • New Mexico
  • Oregon State
  • UC-Santa Barbara
  • Gardner-Webb
  • Sacramento State
  • Rider
  • Lipscomb
  • Mercer
  • Georgia Tech
  • St. Joseph's
  • Yale
  • Central Connecticut State
  • Oklahoma State
  • UNC-Wilmington
  • Liberty
  • Jackson State
  • Holy Cross
  • Bryant
  • Portland State
  • Southern Illinois-Edwardsville
  • Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
  • Florida Atlantic
  • Connecticut
  • Nebraska-Omaha
  • Arkansas State
  • Coppin State
  • Central Michigan
  • Murray State
  • Wright State
  • Auburn
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
RED AG 98
7:56p, 4/29/24
In reply to Luke The Drifter
Your (truthful) version is much less fun though.
Vulture61
8:47p, 4/29/24
Emilio Fantastico
7:51a, 4/30/24
Boy, College Baseball Central sure does love the Vandy Boys. They have them at #8 after losing the weekend series to Miss State. Meanwhile, all the other polls have them in the teens.
They must really love cheaters.
AgEng06
4:35p, 5/1/24
Thoughts on this regional? Looks pretty good to me.

https://instagr.am/p/C6cN1WAuHNN
Tuve
4:37p, 5/1/24
In reply to AgEng06
AgEng06 said:

Thoughts on this regional? Looks pretty good to me.

https://instagr.am/p/C6cN1WAuHNN
I don't understand why we (the #1 seed) would have to have #17 Louisiana as our two. I feel like that's really difficult. Don't teams in the 17-25 range usually go to the double digit seed regionals?
85AustinAg
4:45p, 5/1/24
In reply to Tuve
Quote:

I don't understand why we (the #1 seed) would have to have #17 Louisiana as our two. I feel like that's really difficult. Don't teams in the 17-25 range usually go to the double digit seed regionals?
Where do you see Oklahoma as a #16
jkag89
4:51p, 5/1/24
In reply to Tuve
ULaLa's RPI is 53. The selection committee is going to rely far more on RPI as a metric than where the various polls might place teams.
The Marksman
5:06p, 5/1/24
I like how there's a lot of teams in the top 25 that the Ags have series wins over...
you moran
5:51p, 5/1/24
In reply to AgEng06
I'd take that all d*mn day. Especially the Super.
RED AG 98
6:03p, 5/1/24
Listened to their podcast today... the only lengthy debate in the projected top 16 was at #16. They waffled between Wake and Miss St and then just put OU in at the last second... I don't think the B12 deserves two hosts but we'll see how they finish and what the committee thinks.

Speaking of CLANGA, I probably take them in that Duke regional. They are play good ball right now. Credit to Lemonis and that team because I thought they were done for and now they're on the cusp of hosting.

I still really know nothing about Indiana St or if they are any good.

And that UCSB regional is way too weak for tu in my opinion. I'd rather see them somewhere with a top 8 #1.

you moran
6:06p, 5/1/24
Miss St would be a lot harder. Give me OU. Hell, Lamar is better than OU.
ensign_beedrill
3:36p, 5/2/24
In reply to AgEng06
My thoughts are that these projections are useful to see who might host and who might be in the field, but not that useful in predicting who's actually in what regional.
RED AG 98
3:55p, 5/2/24
In reply to ensign_beedrill
Their final projection will typically only miss a handful of teams. Of course this the first year of the expanded quadrant system as well as the last year of the Pac12 and B12 and SEC as we know it, so maybe their is more chaos. But they have this done to a pretty good science as to not only who but also where folks end up based on historical data. If you watch the D1 podcast and see Mark Etheridge pouring over his spreadsheet you can get a glimpse of how much data they have collected...
twk
4:26p, 5/2/24
In reply to jkag89
jkag89 said:

ULaLa's RPI is 53. The selection committee is going to rely far more on RPI as a metric than where the various polls might place teams.
This. And, they can put the #17 team as the 2 seed at the #1 team's regional if they want to as all 2 seeds are considered equal and geography (saving travel costs) is expressly made one of the criteria for setting the field. They usually don't do that, but if the Cajuns are 53 in RPI and 17 in the polls, they wouldn't have any reservations about sending them to College Station as a 2 seed.
gougler08
5:24p, 5/2/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

jkag89 said:

This. And, they can put the #17 team as the 2 seed at the #1 team's regional if they want to as all 2 seeds are considered equal and geography (saving travel costs) is expressly made one of the criteria for setting the field. They usually don't do that, but if the Cajuns are 53 in RPI and 17 in the polls, they wouldn't have any reservations about sending them to College Station as a 2 seed.

And honestly we shouldn't be upset if a 50 RPI club is our two seed, that's about as favorable as it gets
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings