UGA coach speaks
9,044 Views | 86 Replies
dabo man
9:26a, 5/3/24
The real shame is that no one was able to pass this information to our dugout before he came in. I don't think I've ever actually been watching a game where someone was caught with a foreign substance or scuffing, etc. Usually the coach asks for the check as a stunt, and even that doesn't happen very often.
dabo man
9:32a, 5/3/24
In reply to ensign_beedrill
Quote:

If everyone does it and people are unbothered by it, why is it against the rules? Player safety?

I don't condone it. It's cheating, and if you're caught you should face consequences (as no one is ever caught I don't know what those penalties are). But it's been happening as long as there's been the game of baseball, pitchers are rarely (thoroughly) checked, and I'm not convinced that our staff (or any other staff) is entirely clean.

On an earlier page in this thread, a former Texas A&M catcher wrote about how common it is. Who would know more about which pitchers doctor the ball than the guy catching them?
twk
9:38a, 5/3/24
In reply to Aggies2009
Aggies2009 said:

Divining Rod said:

twk said:

..... greatest season in Aggie baseball history, and this is the only thing some folks want to talk about. Get a little perspective.

hiw did you determine this is "the only thing" some want to talk about?

did someone start 12 threads about this? did some posters post only on this one thread and no others, and if so, are you saying there's something wrong with that?

honestly, your statement smacks of an unreasonable
smugness.

A few days ago he was saying nobody would care about it in a week. https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3457826/replies/67474569#67474569

And now that people do he's complaining about it lol
I guess you need to buy a calendar. I said that on April 30. Actually, here's what I said:

Quote:

A week from now, no one will care about this. Yes, the guy cheated. We didn't catch it in the moment, so he got away with it. That's baseball.

I'm not sure I see the point in continuing to try to drum up this story. All future UGA opponents are going to watch this guy like a hawk. Evidently, there has been some discussion prior to this incident as to whether umpires should be checking pitchers gloves as a matter of course like they do in the big leagues, so maybe this adds some fuel to that fire. But we don't get any prize for having proved that the guy cheated.
Come Monday, most of us are going to be talking about how we did in Baton Rouge. Maybe a few of you will still be fretting over the lack of justice from a game played the prior weekend, but the season will move on whether you are ready to or not.
Decay
9:39a, 5/3/24
Yeah I mean, you have to police it or it gets worse and worse. Easier to outlaw it and chase it down best you can than having to figure out "how much is too much" and play silly games like that. We'd get to the point that you'd square up to bunt and the ball would just stick to the bat
dermdoc
9:39a, 5/3/24
In reply to Aggies2009
Aggies2009 said:

Divining Rod said:

twk said:

..... greatest season in Aggie baseball history, and this is the only thing some folks want to talk about. Get a little perspective.

did someone start 12 threads about this? did some posters post only on this one thread and no others, and if so, are you saying there's something wrong with that?

smugness.

A few days ago he was saying nobody would care about it in a week. https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3457826/replies/67474569#67474569

Don't mess with my consigliere.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggies2009
9:40a, 5/3/24
That's a good question.

It's against the rules because of Dead Ball Era changes to the game about doctoring balls. Back when pitchers used to spit tobacco juice on the ball to make it harder to see and would make it behave erratically (certainly NOT more safe). Right now l, guys are using it to get a better grip. What is it doing to the flight of the ball? What if they add a little more to the ball? Seems like it'd just be easiest to ban any use of foreign substances.
aginlakeway
9:42a, 5/3/24
In reply to Aggies2009
Aggies2009 said:

Divining Rod said:

twk said:

smugness.

He is 100% correct. No one will be talking about this on May 7, one week after his post.
Aggies2009
9:49a, 5/3/24
In reply to aginlakeway
aginlakeway said:

Aggies2009 said:

Divining Rod said:

twk said:

smugness.

He is 100% correct. No one will be talking about this on May 7, one week after his post.

Kinda depends on if he pitches this weekend and how things go, doesn't it?
TX_Aggie37
9:53a, 5/3/24
ensign_beedrill said:

Alright, so just for discussion:

If everyone does it and people are unbothered by it, why is it against the rules? Player safety? If you have a better grip and more control over the ball, doesn't it lessen the chances of hitting the batter? Batters can use stuff and gloves to get a better grip on the bat.

I remember my first time watching a football game and seeing the receivers wearing sticky gloves. I thought that wasn't fair... why do they get to wear sticky gloves? If they can't hold on to the ball without sticky gloves, that's on them.
You are focusing on the wrong piece of it. It isn't the improved grip or control. It's the introduction of a foreign substance to gain a competitive advantage that makes it against the rules. Same concept as corking a wood bat.

It is and should be against the rules. I don't argue that. If a guy gets caught he should be punished accordingly. I just don't have a ton of heartburn about it because I've seen it happen at all levels of baseball, including my time in the Big 12. Hell one of our catchers used to put pine tar inside his shin guard so that the pitcher would never have anything on him.

Sunscreen and rosin has similar effects, and is usually readily available.
Gyles Marrett
11:03a, 5/3/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Boy, some of you guys sound like you are about to blow a gasket.

Mracana cheated. He got caught after the fact, when nothing could be done about it. Coach gets asked about it during his press conference. Being the ******bag that he is, he gives a non-denial denial.

Ok. That's a mildly interesting story. But, I assure you, UGA is not the only team whose pitchers have used stuff to improve their grip. We are having what may be the greatest season in Aggie baseball history, and this is the only thing some folks want to talk about. Get a little perspective.
So cheating vs. a team who's the best should be overlooked more simply bc we are having a good year? Interesting. I guess that's the whole "if you aint cheatin you aint tryin" mentality.
ensign_beedrill
11:07a, 5/3/24
In reply to TX_Aggie37
It gives you an advantage, but if it is not against the rules, everyone would be working with that same advantage. What is the difference between this and putting pine tar on your bat? Is that not also introducing a foreign substance to get an advantage?
streetfighter2012
1:21p, 5/3/24
I've always wanted an explanation as to why a batter is allowed any number of foreign substances and actual gloves to enhance grip but pitchers get nothing. Why aren't both viewed the same in the eyes of the rule books?
SchizoAg
1:25p, 5/3/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Come Monday, most of us are going to be talking about how we did in Baton Rouge. Maybe a few of you will still be fretting over the lack of justice from a game played the prior weekend, but the season will move on whether you are ready to or not.
I don't know why you feel it necessary to belittle people who are having a calm, amicable, rational conversation by calling it "fretting" and "blowing a gasket".

How does the existence of this thread threaten you? I don't get it. Why can't you just let it be, and move on to another thread if you aren't into it?
StinkyPinky
1:25p, 5/3/24
In reply to streetfighter2012
streetfighter2012 said:

I've always wanted an explanation as to why a batter is allowed any number of foreign substances and actual gloves to enhance grip but pitchers get nothing. Why aren't both viewed the same in the eyes of the rule books?
Safety. Thrown bats are highly discouraged, any means possible.
mwm
1:26p, 5/3/24
I watched all 16 seconds looking for some leadership.

I didn't see any.
TX_Aggie37
1:53p, 5/3/24
ensign_beedrill said:

It gives you an advantage, but if it is not against the rules, everyone would be working with that same advantage. What is the difference between this and putting pine tar on your bat? Is that not also introducing a foreign substance to get an advantage?
Adding pine tar to the bat doesn't materially impact the performance of the bat itself. Using a sticky substance on a baseball increases spin rate, potentially velocity, etc...
twk
3:35p, 5/3/24
In reply to SchizoAg
Quote:

I don't know why you feel it necessary to belittle people who are having a calm, amicable, rational conversation by calling it "fretting" and "blowing a gasket".
If you think that calm discussion applies to all who have posted on the subject, we will just have to agree to disagree. There are a few who come off as pretty emotional about this. A few. Not everyone.

We're playing LSU tonight. I suspect the discussion will move on towards what happens there once we get underway.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings