Facebook Marketplace scam? How does it work?
5,669 Views | 48 Replies
superunknown
5:08p, 1/3/24
In reply to Ryan the Temp
TIL there's a trombone marketplace
Sea Speed
5:47p, 1/3/24
I always throw a howdy in front of the auto message. It makes people realize im not fake and sets the tone of the conversation generally.
Bunk Moreland
6:19p, 1/3/24
OP might be on to something. Next maybe he can tell us who wins the Super Bowl in 2019
infinity ag
3:15p, 1/4/24
Hmm ok thanks for the replies.
It seems like the scam here is that this buyer will ask for an email address and "full name" and claim to send money but then tell the seller that he needs to be on a Business Zelle account to get it. And seller gets an email with a link to sign up. This link is fake and is a phishing email. If the seller puts his info in, then it is used for criminal activity. The buyer then disappears in either scenario.

Seems like a dumb scam but hey, people do fall for it.
62strat
4:19p, 1/4/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

It seems like the scam here is that this buyer will ask for an email address and "full name" and claim to send money but then tell the seller that he needs to be on a Business Zelle account to get it. And seller gets an email with a link to sign up. This link is fake and is a phishing email. If the seller puts his info in, then it is used for criminal activity. The buyer then disappears in either scenario.

It's certainly dumb, since I've never given my email to anyone who has paid me (or vice versa) through zelle.

It's based on name and phone number in my experience.
infinity ag
5:36p, 1/4/24
Logged into my bank's Zelle integration and it says this. Look at the top one.

infinity ag
5:39p, 1/4/24
In reply to 62strat
62strat said:

infinity ag said:

It's certainly dumb, since I've never given my email to anyone who has paid me (or vice versa) through zelle.

No, it is based on either phone number or email. Both of which are unique to a person. Name, many can have the same name.

I think the scammer wants the name to verify. So he will enter the email address in Zelle and it will return a name asking if it is the right person. That must match with the "full name".
62strat
10:19p, 1/4/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

62strat said:

infinity ag said:

No, it is based on either phone number or email. Both of which are unique to a person. Name, many can have the same name.

I think the scammer wants the name to verify. So he will enter the email address in Zelle and it will return a name asking if it is the right person. That must match with the "full name".
regardless, why bother with email. Anyone can make a fake looking email that says you got money.

Give them your phone and name. And check your bank app to see if money is there, not rely on some email.
The Dog Lord
9:53a, 1/5/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

Logged into my bank's Zelle integration and it says this. Look at the top one.

This is similar to the one I posted about. They send you "extra" for some reason and want you to send them the difference back. The "business account" reason is that THEY have a business account that requires a minimum transaction amount that is more than the cost of what you are selling. It doesn't require you to sign up for a business account but instead to send them back the difference due to their business account.
WES2006AG
12:12p, 1/5/24
I've always heard Zelle should only be used with people you know. It doesn't have the same protections as Venmo or PayPal.
Iowaggie
6:25p, 1/5/24
Facebook Marketplace in Real Life

Stat Monitor Repairman
11:23a, 5/6/24

Quote:

The Tribune has interviewed eight women three from Illinois and the rest from other parts of the United States who said they sent naked photographs or videos of their breasts to the "Cathy Marie Chan" profile through Facebook Messenger.

One lactation consultant said some of her clients had sent pictures of their breasts and vaginal areas to "Cathy Marie Chan" on Facebook.

Gently remind your wives / girlfriends to not send breastfeeding pics to a consultant on Facebook.

Turns out, it's a scam!
Sea Speed
12:05p, 5/6/24
In reply to Stat Monitor Repairman
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

The Tribune has interviewed eight women three from Illinois and the rest from other parts of the United States who said they sent naked photographs or videos of their breasts to the "Cathy Marie Chan" profile through Facebook Messenger.

One lactation consultant said some of her clients had sent pictures of their breasts and vaginal areas to "Cathy Marie Chan" on Facebook.

Gently remind your wives / girlfriends to not send breastfeeding pics to a consultant on Facebook.

Turns out, it's a scam!

Reminds me of the McDonald's managers who strip search their employees at the behest of someone on the telephone. Some people seriously lack critical thinking skills.
infinity ag
3:05p, 5/6/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

Turns out, it's a scam!

Reminds me of the McDonald's managers who strip search their employees at the behest of someone on the telephone. Some people seriously lack critical thinking skills.

I am pretty sure they strip-searched only the hottie McD employees, not the ugly fat ones.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings