Today's Military
7,092 Views | 85 Replies
Tango.Mike
8:06p, 5/7/24
In reply to lb3
lb3 said:

Tango.Mike said:

cslifer said:

Do you really believe that "muscle memory and aggression" only come from testosterone???

The kind of flip-the-switch, out-of-body physical aggression required to assault INTO an ambush only comes from testosterone. Estrogen will not get you there.

Are there a few females who could do it? Sure. But again, the few don't matter. It's what the average can do
It's not a matter of whether women can or can't do the job. Many women can do the job and they serve honorably.

It's a matter of values and whether that is a role we want women to play in our society. I would prefer that men bear that burden and make the sacrifices that come with it.

Men have evolved over millennia to be builders, hunters, providers, and warriors. Why take a woman and train out of them all the instincts that make them great women?

It's like the woke mob trying to train our young women and mothers to suppress their basic instincts to avoid predators and that failing to do so somehow makes them bigots or transphobes. Those seconds of hesitation are an invitation to disaster.

If the men in our society can't defend us from invaders we deserve to be conquered so men that can do that job take our place.

100% agree with this, as well, I was just avoiding that topic. My daughters value themselves (women) for what they are not what they can do or how much like men they can be. I'm as much against the 3rd wave feminism reasons as I am against the physical reasons
one safe place
8:21p, 5/7/24
Not a chance and glad my son felt the same way. Too many other ways to skin a cat.
UTExan
8:54p, 5/7/24
In reply to President-elect
Probably not. But it depends. If they are in a special forces operator role and it is their calling, there's not much you can do.

I would rather a son or daughter (or grandkids in my case) go to the reserves and stay out of the active duty politics.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Jock 07
8:58p, 5/7/24
In reply to President-elect
President-elect said:

I never served in the military, but have great respect and gratitude for those who did. Would you encourage your 18-21 year old son or daughter to enter the military today?

Looking for advice.

Along with many others here I still think the good outweighs the bad with joining the military. But understand that the DoD has absolutely become more politicized over the past decade+.
I'd also counsel any kid to understand the environment we find ourselves in today. Make no mistake, we are in another Cold War with adversaries that present an existential threat. These adversaries have been building their military capabilities to challenge and defeat us over the past 20 years we've spent fighting terrorists in the ME. All this to say conflict over the next 20 years is going to look a lot different than it has the past 20 years.
One advantage for folks coming in today is the BRS allowing them to walk away before 20 with equity built up through contributions. This provides more flexibility for folks that decide not to make it a career (which is the vast majority)
Teslag
9:02p, 5/7/24
In reply to Jock 07
The only adversary that can remotely challenge us is China.
UTExan
9:21p, 5/7/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

The only adversary that can remotely challenge us is China.

In a global conflict, perhaps you are right. But we don't know exactly how many functioning nuclear weapons Russia possesses and our information is also somewhat limited on Chinese nukes.
We are probably vulnerable at certain points to attack by infiltrators or sympathizers of our adversaries. Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 and injured 30 more in a small arms attack at Ft Hood. That may have been a lack of security on base command's part but it exemplifies the weaknesses we have.
If I was an adversary, I would plan kinetic attacks by armed cells on key electrical transformer stations in the bigger states, have them withdraw and go incognito. Or I would attack select police and fire facilities, paralyzing the emergency response. Or I would conduct surveillance at military bases by putting workers on the base itself to conduct surveillance and identify lightly defended high value targets.
I recall when I pulled staff duty officer duty at my MI battalion at Ft. Hood back in the stone ages, we had a locked steel response chest with 2x . 45 caliber pistols and 4x M16A1 rifles, each with two loaded magazines. The idea was to conduct a hard defense or response until the MPs could respond because our unit had a Top Secret briefing/Intelligence collection area focused on the Fulda Gap and Warsaw Pact personnel / equipment movements.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
AgGrad99
9:40p, 5/7/24
My son is 100% set on being a Marine. His goal is MARSOC.

Even if I wanted to talk him out of it, I don't think I could.
Quito
9:56p, 5/7/24
I served 8 years USAF pilot and loved it. I now have a relatively boring but high paying job as Medical Device Sales Manager for Johnson and Johnson.

I loved my time in the USAF and am very proud of it. J&J clearly valued my military service over my degree and lack of experience in sales. I was hired into a highly technical sales job despite only having a 3.0 in RPTS at A&M. Most folks who get these jobs have more advanced degrees and 5+ years of technical sales experience.

I say, absolutely!

1) it levels the DEI field…folks actually root for me again. We all know they ain't rooting for middle aged white men.

2) I'm actually a protected status as a veteran. As much as I hate all that, I'm gonna jump on board if needed.

3) I might have a boring job now, but I'll always remember when I was a badass

4) knowing that I was a part of something much bigger than me and just about any institution on the planet, gave me a lot of satisfaction

5) I met the best friends and loved my time serving with them.

6) I way out kicked my coverage and am pretty sure it was the uniform that did it.

sanangelo
10:07p, 5/7/24
The end of the warfighting military is signified by the patch. We won the war marvelously and were rewarded with a witch hunt that ended the careers of the finest warfighters and leaders.

Rep. Patsy Schroeder (D-CO) went after the warfighters with a vengeance. She had a purpose. By 1994, females were flying fighters even though we all know women don't belong in combat.

20-year vet. B-52 IP CCTS instructor Pilot, T-38C IP reserves. I would last 4 hours in the modern military if they accepted me at all. I wouldn't encourage any offspring to join today.
San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
ApachePilot
10:18p, 5/7/24
The military opened a lot of doors for me. I gained so much from my company grade leaders on down. Served under Bush 1 - Obama. Who was President during my time had little to do with my development. I tell my family if you go in with a purpose and are disciplined you can get much from serving this country. If not for my 4 years enlisted which brought me to Fort hood and Fort Sam I would not have ended up at A&M on a green to gold scholarship. What I thought I'd do at 18 versus where I ended up was a journey. I thank God every day for leading me to A&M.

The military makes you more of what you already are in my opinion.

Tachoro
11:06p, 5/7/24
Serving in the military was the best decision I ever made. Sure, it was a circus at times, but the friends I made and the skills I learned can't be taken away.
agwrestler
11:17p, 5/7/24
Until All the John McCains of our .gov are publicly tried and executed, my answer is no.
BboroAg
1:32a, 5/8/24
Don't worry….our government will start conscription again soon enough….first to get volunteered will be the recent additions via illegal immigration….the government is gonna need them to point the cannon at the rest of us
cavok
1:34a, 5/8/24
Stat Monitor Repairman
2:34a, 5/8/24

How wild is this?
TH36
7:55p, 5/8/24
I never got to serve cause of bad asthma even though it's all I ever wanted to do. When my kids reach that age one day and hopefully skipped out on my asthma genes then I would happily tell them to join.

Because no matter how bad everyone wants to make the military sound or overly woke they still train men/women to do this **** and pull it off.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/carnival-cruise-passengers-airlifted-air-force-dramatic-rescue
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings