Snake Thread: 2024
83,415 Views | 604 Replies
maroon barchetta
9:58p, 5/27/24
I need to get my back acre brush hogged. I don't want the box turtle I've seen recently to get whacked though.
Badace52
10:00p, 5/27/24
In reply to Sea Speed
It's hard to tell but it looks pretty young which would fit with your story of seeing several in the area. I'm counting 7 maybe 8.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
10:04p, 5/27/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
If you raise up the blades it should be fine as long as you dont run it over with the wheel. They also dig down under the leaf litter or hide under stuff when it starts to dry out later in the summer so you could wait for that.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
10:09p, 5/27/24
In reply to DoitBest
DoitBest said:

No worries, I appreciate y'alls knowledge, I've learned a ton from this platform. And I figure now that Asian Jasmine was a poor choice of ground cover by the pool, given the # of coral snakes our dog has found.
The only thing is that my wife has told me that a cotton mouth has eye liner, not mascara...

Ha yeah I think it's done for the alliteration. It should probably really be eye shadow mark instead of mascara mark, but that doesn't flow as well and it gets the point across either way.
CM
DoitBest
10:15p, 5/27/24
In reply to Badace52
That's what I tried to tell her, but happy wife...i married the smartest woman ever, 25 years & she's never been wrong once...
12f Mane
3:44p, 5/28/24
In reply to Sea Speed
The shape of that box turtle's shell indicates it has something wrong with it. When kept as pets with an incorrect diet they often develop warped shells like that because they don't receive enough nutrients for shell growth. Weird to see in a wild animal. That is definitely an adult though.
Sea Speed
5:12p, 5/28/24
In reply to 12f Mane
Yea I thought the shell looked odd for sure but it's what made the thing so cute.

Whats so fun about finding things like that around my property is I probably get as excited about finding things like that as a 40 year old man as I did as a 12nyear old exploring the woods, now I just love showing my kids too.
Serious Lee
10:09p, 5/28/24
In reply to DoitBest
Quote:

And I figure now that Asian Jasmine was a poor choice of ground cover by the pool, given the # of coral snakes our dog has found.
my parents had that stuff bordering our pool when i was a kid and pulling snakes out of the skimmer baskets was a regular chore.
JSKolache
10:32p, 5/28/24
Had a she turtle laying eggs in my flowerbed this morning. Walk out the door and she's dug a hole next to the driveway and dropped 5 or 6 eggs already. Dont see that everyday. When I got home the kids had built a little stone fort around the spot to keep the armadillos out.
DoitBest
10:52p, 5/28/24
In reply to Serious Lee
Great...we are 5 years in with this cement pond, hasn't been an issue yet, but that's been on my mind for some time...
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 18 of 18
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings