In reply to Lonestar-aught-six
Lonestar-aught-six said:

These two I don't think are birds.

Could be this
maddiedou
Maximus Johnson
8:01a, 5/24/24
In reply to dahouse
I am in the same boat as you. Only going to plant a few cherokee purples and a few beefsteaks from here on out.

I don't have a large enough garden to make canning tomatoes a viable option and end up giving so many away its not worth the real estate.
Fishing Fools
9:18p, 5/28/24
First garden at the new house. Strong winds last night and today. Blew my corn sideways.

Should I continue to water in hopes it recovers or pull it up?

maddiedou
9:26p, 5/28/24
nothing wrong go buy a bag of dirt from lowes and use it to stand themnup
maddiedou
DoitBest
9:27p, 5/28/24
You made it this far, I would stake it & tie it up with flagging tape & see what happens...but will defer to the experts here...nice looking beds..
RED AG 98
9:27p, 5/28/24
Second year in a row for Super Sweet 100s, and man these are the best producing cherry variety I've ever had. Four plants and I'm pulling 15-20 tomatoes off a day the past couple of weeks. I've also not watered them once, so they like this raised bed and the pretty frequent spring rains we've had this year. Absolutely incredible production.
dahouse
9:28p, 5/28/24
Pulled all the maters that were close to being ripe before the storm. All the rain is making them split
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
BrazosDog02
1:34p, 5/30/24
In reply to Lonestar-aught-six
Lonestar-aught-six said:

Those are 100% birds. Try picking the tomatoes at the first hint of blushing or color. There is no purpose to leaving a tomato on a vine to ripen fully. Once it goes from green to orange or pink...pull it and let it ripen inside. You'll catch them before the birds, and even if that's not a bird, you'll catch it before the coons.

My tomatoes are about done, the last of them will make a few more pickings, but the heat will finish them off. I pick what I can as soon as I feel I can get away with it because the birds will get to mine too.

Check out DAHOUSE pictures above...that's when Id pick mine if I were you.
maddiedou
1:54p, 5/30/24
Hwre is an example

Picked wednesday
Picked. Tueaday
Picked monday

They all started as wednesday
maddiedou
Bigfootisreal
3:04p, 5/30/24
In reply to maddiedou
That is a lot of tomatoes!

And... your bread is way past expiration!
maddiedou
3:37p, 5/30/24
That bread is still good just microwave it
maddiedou
Build It
3:08p, 5/31/24
Salsa about to happen!

Not my best year, all 5 of my early girls suck. Never happened before, 15 other plants different varieties all good. The heat on Monday and all this rain I don't think we are setting anymore fruit. Less overall production this year. The storms knocked a lot of blooms off this year.

Still a lot of fruit on the plants but guessing we'll be done in a couple weeks. That's early for Houston. I lost a lot of fruit while on vacation to a rat. Caught his butt as soon as I returned. No other damage since. Amazing what one rat will eat.

maddiedou
4:25p, 5/31/24
I dont know I got lots of little tomotoes and blooms still setting in College station

We are suppose to stay below 90 for 3-4 days but who knows if it will
maddiedou
jt2hunt
4:41p, 5/31/24
I need a good salsa recipe. I like one that spicy, but for some reason, my homemade salsa always tends to be watery.
ought1ag
5:20p, 5/31/24
In reply to jt2hunt
JalapeƱos are too unreliable as far as heat. Try a Serrano next time. Ours gets really juicy too and we just started straining it and would have a jar of salsa then a jar of "juice" we used in stews and chilis.
Build It
5:32p, 5/31/24
In reply to maddiedou
maddiedou said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

Could be this

That's a rat.
maddiedou
6:19p, 5/31/24
And caught a poosum the next night

It will be peacful until the cantaloupe start and I will catch one of each again and then nothing for a while
maddiedou
jt2hunt
12:31a, 6/1/24
In reply to ought1ag
ought1ag said:

JalapeƱos are too unreliable as far as heat. Try a Serrano next time. Ours gets really juicy too and we just started straining it and would have a jar of salsa then a jar of "juice" we used in stews and chilis.

Are you saying you strain it when you open the jar of salsa to eat it? Does anyone know how to make it thick so it's not watery from the get-go?
trip98
9:11a, 6/1/24
In reply to maddiedou
I'm doing cantaloupe for first time this year. Have 3 on Vine now
How do I tell when to harvest?
ought1ag
9:24a, 6/1/24
In reply to jt2hunt
strain when we are putting it in the jars
maddiedou
10:00a, 6/1/24
In reply to trip98
trip98 said:

I'm doing cantaloupe for first time this year. Have 3 on Vine now
How do I tell when to harvest?

The way I do it

You can start to smell them getting ripe and then I just start tugging on them each day until they separate from vine
maddiedou
Build It
10:09a, 6/1/24
In reply to jt2hunt
Just cut the core out of the tomato and remove the seeds. Will be thick and chunky.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings