Mid Sized Glock for Daughter
2,157 Views | 28 Replies
OneProudAg
10:58p, 5/4/24
So,went to the range today with my daughter, I have only had glock 19's (in semi pistol). My daughter is about to be law abiding pistol age and she likes my G19 better than her mom's G42, but she would like something just a bit smaller that can hold more rounds than the G42. Is there something in between size wise?

I'm more a Rifle/Shotgun guy.

PS. Shooting guns with your daughter is so gratifyingly awesome.
AggieT
11:03p, 5/4/24
One of the Sig P365 variants. Check out the Macro.
Wodanaz
11:10p, 5/4/24
Concur with above. Sig 365.
Smeghead4761
11:15p, 5/4/24
G43 holds 10 rounds of 9mm vs 6 rounds of .380 in the G42.
jrb2019
11:17p, 5/4/24
If she likes the Glock, the G43x fills the spot between your 19 and 42. If she doesn't like the Glock, agree the 365 line has good options.

You can also get 15 round mags for the 43x if capacity is a discriminator
CS78
11:47p, 5/4/24
48 or 43x
OneProudAg
11:51p, 5/4/24
In reply to jrb2019
jrb2019 said:

If she likes the Glock, the G43x fills the spot between your 19 and 42. If she doesn't like the Glock, agree the 365 line has good options.

Will give a look tomorrow!
ShouldastayedataTm
12:16a, 5/5/24
I prefer my Glock 17 and 34 for time at the range or steel challenge matches. But I carry a 43x with the Palmetto State Armory magazines that hold fifteen rounds. I like them better than the shield arms 15 rounders. Have not had any issues with the PSA mags where I had at least 1 failure every 4 to 5 mags with the shield arms mags. The 43x is slimmer than both the 19 and 42, and is in between length wise of the grip. Still shorter barrel and sight radius than the 19 as well.

Edit to add that as mentioned above the 48 is also an option. Same grip as the 43x, and uses the same magazines, but the barrel of the 48 is a longer than the 19 by a smidgen, 4.17 versus 4.02 or so. I would have gotten the 48 but could only ever find the 43x in stock and I liked it and shot it well so went with it.
FIDO*98*
12:20a, 5/5/24
Glock fanboy but I carry a Springfield Hellcat now over my G43. P365 anti snag would be my next choice
HumbleAg04
7:55a, 5/5/24
https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-xmacro.html

Hard to beat feature wise. Have her shoot one.
BenderRodriguez
9:41a, 5/5/24
In reply to OneProudAg
G48 is what I would get, because its basically exactly what shes looking for: a slightly smaller g19

The 43X is also a good option but it will be a little snappier than a 48 in exchange for being a little smaller.
FriskyGardenGnome
2:55p, 5/5/24
Get a grip reduction on the G19.
Psycho Bunny
3:48p, 5/5/24
A 3rd option is the CZ P-07 9mm, it holds 15 plus rounds. The wife loves conceal carrying it where every she goes. Just not sure if your daughter wants a SA/DA.
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
BurnetAggie99
4:30p, 5/5/24
H&K SFP9CC another option to some that already been mentioned
agsalaska
6:00p, 5/5/24
S&W equalizer.

Stupid name but a good gun with a grip safety. I like that idea in a carry piece.

I've shot eleventy billion bullets out of guns with grip safeties and it's never been an issue. really good 100 year old idea that still soldiers on.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
3 Toed Pete
8:40a, 5/6/24
In reply to jrb2019
jrb2019 said:

I agree about the 43X, but would also have her look at the G26, which is now available in Gen 5. The 26 is the same as the 19 but shorter slide and grip but same width. That may be what she prefers, though I bet she takes to the 43X. Normally it holds 10 rounds but you can get special mags or, the best feature yet, you can use the G19 or 17 mags in the 26 or even the 33 round mags if she likes to go gangsta.

Like to hear of more women looking to carry.
MattAg98
8:44a, 5/6/24
Hellcat Pro
Maximus Johnson
8:50a, 5/6/24
I have both a 19 and 43x. Prefer the 43x over the 19.

If I was buying new again I would take a really hard look at the P365. I think I would have made a different decision if I would have let go of my Glock fanboydom.
Naveronski
8:59a, 5/6/24
In reply to BenderRodriguez
BenderRodriguez said:

G48 is what I would get, because its basically exactly what shes looking for: a slightly smaller g19

The 43X is also a good option but it will be a little snappier than a 48 in exchange for being a little smaller.
And look into the Shield magazines for it. They're metal mags with slightly thinner sidewalls than the plastic Glock mags, allowing for 15+1 capacity in the 48.
The System
12:07p, 5/6/24
In reply to Naveronski
I was told by an LEO that if you switch to the shield magazine, you really need to change out the standard Glock mag release to a metal mag release. According to him, the metal magazines eventually eat the plastic mag release.

I haven't tried so can't speak from experience. I carry both the G19 and the 43x. When I'm carrying the 43x, I just pocket an extra mag.
Naveronski
12:10p, 5/6/24
In reply to The System
The System said:

I was told by an LEO that if you switch to the shield magazine, you really need to change out the standard Glock mag release to a metal mag release. According to him, the metal magazines eventually eat the plastic mag release.

I haven't tried so can't speak from experience. I carry both the G19 and the 43x. When I'm carrying the 43x, I just pocket an extra mag.
Yes, he's correct.

Luckily it's very easy to do.
Koko Chingo
12:49p, 5/6/24
In reply to OneProudAg
OneProudAg said:

PS. Shooting guns with your daughter is so gratifyingly awesome.
It definitely is.

If your range rents firearms you can have another reason to back to the range.

Rent different pistols from your list of recommendations and also ask the person behind the counter. Before she even shoots, she has the ability to at least hold it and see if it feels too big or small, etc.

I rented different pistols from Champion Firearms in College Station before purchasing one for my daughter. We went to the range a few times and rented different pistols. It was fun and always cost me Starbucks beforehand and lunch afterward, lol.

AJ02
12:55p, 5/6/24
I had a Glock and I always felt the grip was just too big for my hands.

Bought myself a Kimber 380 Microcarry and absolutely love it. Fits great in my small hands.
beb08
1:05p, 5/6/24
G48
UTExan
1:29p, 5/6/24
Smith and Wesson Shield Plus
10 + 1 and 13 + 1 mags. Very concealable with better trigger (IMHO) and good sights.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
swampstander
5:11p, 5/6/24
I carried a G23 for a long time but I worked in an elementary school and felt it was to bulky/ hard to conceal. I picked up a Kahr CM9 which was a perfect size for what I needed. I never really liked it that well but carried it every day for about 4 years. I left it at our second home a couple summers ago so it was back to the G23. I recently was browsing at Academy while the rib was doing our taxes and came across the G43X. It seemed the perfect size for a carry gun so I bought it. I've run about 200 rounds through it the last few weeks without a hiccup.
91AggieLawyer
9:23p, 5/6/24
I'm pretty sure the first semi my wife shot was a G43 that I bought when it first came out. She really liked it but I sold it because it wasn't a true pocket carry gun. We ended up getting her a 9mm 1911 but I'd highly recommend her trying a 43x as it will shoot much like the 43 and have the additional rounds.
OneProudAg
10:24p, 5/6/24
I want to say my daughter and I appreciate all the responses.
ShouldastayedataTm
10:31p, 5/6/24
Just to add on to the shield arms magazines for the 43x and 48, you would eventually need to swap the mag release. However, the Palmetto State Armory Micro Dagger 15 round magazines fit perfectly and work well. Have put 300 plus rounds mic of FMJ and about 50 of JHP rounds through my 43x without a hickup with the PSA mags. They have a hybrid metal with polymer front piece that spares the polymer stock Glock mag release from added wear and tear like the all metal Shield Arms mags deliver.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings