Bought a Stag Hunt in NZ
1,418 Views | 14 Replies
rak1693
9:32a, 5/6/24
Went to the CCA Banquet in SA and bought a stag hunt in NZ (north island) with Wanganui Safaris. I have until August 2026 to go on the hunt. It includes two stag so I'll bring my dad as well. To those of you that have been on a stag hunt in NZ, what were your thoughts? Really looking forward to it.
O.G.
9:37a, 5/6/24
Please take an American Caliber Not that metric non-sense....

I keed I keed.

Congrats on your hunt. Remember rule 1 when you report in.
B-1 83
9:53a, 5/6/24
It may be ridiculously expensive, but I'm pretty sure you can bring meat back from there! If nothing else, back straps and tenderloins.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
AgLA06
10:22a, 5/6/24
In reply to rak1693
I'd probably open a line of credit and see about adding other big game while there. If you have the legs for it, Chamois, Tahr, Fallow.
aggiejumper
11:04a, 5/6/24
Bought that same hunt at CCA SA but different outfitter 6 years ago; went with my Dad (he upgraded to a very large Stag). Set a price and go enjoy it. Don't forget taxidermy and all the importation charges. You can spend a little to a lot very quickly.
japantiger
11:10a, 5/6/24
That should be a lot of fun...great that you can take your Dad. That is something I wish was still possible.

As for other species, Wanganui has access to anything the N Island has to offer. It looks like they also have trips to the S Island to hunt Chamois and Tahr. Those are more challenging hunts in the mountains and a lot of fun if you have the time.

East of their concession is the Tongariro Nat Park, Mt Ruapehu volcano, etc. The Trout fishing on the Tongariro River is fantastic. Lake Taupo a little further North is a beautiful area. There really is no other place on earth better for outdoor activities than NZ.

There will be no shortage of things to hunt or do while on the N Island.
aggiejumper
11:19a, 5/6/24
I didn't realize you were hunting the North Island. When I went it was on the South Island in the Hunters Hills area. Listen to JapanTiger.
Stay in NZ as long as possible to hunt/fish/tourism; it's an amazing country.
rak1693
1:10p, 5/6/24
In reply to japantiger
The outfitter has .300 and .308 WIN mag rifles you can use for $100 on the trip. They recommend using their rifles rather than going through the hassle of bringing our own. My dad and I both have a 7mm MAG. What is your thought of using the outfitter's rifles?
aggiejumper
1:29p, 5/6/24
We rented from outfitter. They were 7 mags with suppressors. Way easier than flying internationally with rifles.
MAROON
2:12p, 5/6/24
I'm guessing you need to get in as good a physical shape as possible.
txaggie02
2:29p, 5/6/24
I'm headed to the South Island later this month with some buddies. I don't have much to recommend, as we will only be on the North Island to change planes. I do know that we will be hunting with the outfitter's rifles. I have typically taken my rifle on all my international hunts, but the guys I am going with have been with the outfitter that we are doing with and highly recommended just using theirs. I believe we are using suppressed .300 Win Mags. Can't wait!
aggiejumper
2:33p, 5/6/24
In reply to MAROON
I didn't do anything special to prepare. If you're out of shape and can't hike up and down mountains then yes you need to exercise before going.
DOCAG79
5:00p, 5/6/24
A friend/customer of mine just got back from a hunt in NZ and successfully took a huge Red Stag!
japantiger
6:00p, 5/6/24
In reply to rak1693
rak1693 said:

The outfitter has .300 and .308 WIN mag rifles you can use for $100 on the trip. They recommend using their rifles rather than going through the hassle of bringing our own. My dad and I both have a 7mm MAG. What is your thought of using the outfitter's rifles?

I've used outfitter rifles on 4 hunts...everything from a new Sauer to an old Sako 85...7mm, 300 WM and .375 H&H. All tack drivers...these folks are not going to have weapons that won't perform. It's how they make their living; and keep from getting killed in some parts of the world. Just take your time on sighting in...get the eye relief where you need it and it should not be an issue.

I am going back to NZ in 2026; I will use their weapons.
rak1693
7:36p, 5/6/24
In reply to japantiger
I plan on going in 2026 as well. Wanted to go in 2025 but the timing won't be great
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings