Valentina's TexMex BBQ
4,223 Views | 26 Replies
Keeper of The Spirits
9:17p, 6/25/16
Anyone been? What the line like on the weekend?
FancyKetchup14
11:15p, 6/25/16
I went there two weeks ago on a Saturday at around 1pm and we waited in line for 15 minutes. They had all their choices available too.
always gig em
11:51p, 6/25/16
Funny you asked....I went today.

Had the chopped brisket sandwich, sausage wrap, brisket taco, small potato salad. All meat was great. Brisket was tasty, they used pepper and salt only as a rub. Sauce was the watery, thin type and tangy, tasted extra mustard and vinegar in it. Potato salad was chunky and cold (red potatoes), would not get again, tasted funky to me, just not my style. Sausage was jalapeno cheddar (that's all they had) and was a full link in a tortilla w/guacamole and lime, very tasty. Would go again. Breakfast ends sharply at 11am btw. We arrived about 1115 and took about 15 mins to order, they have picnic tables set out you can eat on and they're next to a gas station for drinks there if you want.
Keeper of The Spirits
9:16a, 6/26/16
Can you order BBQ by the pound while they are serving breakfast?
always gig em
10:01a, 6/26/16
Pretty sure you can. They have a brisket end egg taco that I really wanted to try (which is why I went there in the first place, look at the yelp pics/reviews, you'll want one too). If they sell brisket in the morning, pretty sure you can get it by the pound. They open at 8am btw.
Cowboy Curtis
4:50p, 6/26/16
In reply to always gig em
Can confirm breakfast deliciousness. Source credibility: I go once a week.
KT 90
8:06a, 6/27/16
I can confirm the Valentina's reviews, good stuff. We always get it to go, not crazy about sitting and eating at a table next to the Brodie traffic. We are just a few miles away, so just take it home.

AustinAg13
8:17a, 6/27/16
I was hoping this gem would stay quiet but...it didn't happen. I have been going to this place for well over a year now. Excellent BBQ with only a fraction of the waiting time in comparison to the more popular "Austin spots". The brisket is excellent w/ good marbling. The sides can be hit or miss, it really depends on your cup of tea. Believe it or not, the queso here is excellent. The sausage is good, the chicken is fair, and basically about anything you get here will be good! Yes, you can buy brisket by the pound. Yes, the breakfast tacos are bomb. Be aware that sometimes you're able to walk right up to the window and other times you can expect a >30 minute wait.

I recommend going in the evening after work - it seems that I am often able to walk right up to the window.
Gramercy Riffs
11:46a, 6/27/16
I wish I could post all the reasons that I'll never spend another dime at this place, but it would violate a few agreements. It's a shame, because the food is very good. But never again...
Complete Idiot
11:54a, 6/27/16
In reply to Gramercy Riffs
quote:
I wish I could post all the reasons that I'll never spend another dime at this place, but it would violate a few agreements. It's a shame, because the food is very good. But never again...
All I got out of your post was the food is very good, and since that is the main deliverable I want from a restaurant I will try this place out.

Actually, I got one other thing from your post.
Gramercy Riffs
11:59a, 6/27/16
My post had more to do with my disappointment that I can't eat there again than anything else. I love their food. Very tasty. You weren't meant to get anything else out of it, and if you did, that's on you.

I'll say that not everything is always as it seems at the counter. But that's true of every business you'll ever encounter, so who cares? The food is worth a visit if you know nothing else about the people who run the place.
Keeper of The Spirits
6:05p, 6/27/16
Inquiring minds want to know
trouble
6:52p, 6/27/16
And now I want to know more
Potcake
7:33p, 6/27/16
Hygiene issues, cartel front, or caballo brisket? Not sure you can post that and walk away.
Gramercy Riffs
8:47p, 6/27/16
Business stuff. I know nothing of health department issues or anything that would put any of you in danger. Go ahead and eat there... No worries.

I know this place from multiple angles through my job. I choose not to do business with them. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, the food is good.
always gig em
9:42p, 6/27/16
this about sums up how we all feel now so thanks for being a team player

[gif]
[/gif]]
AggieStout
10:11a, 6/28/16
Didn't this place used to be behind star bar?
txjortsagent
12:14p, 6/28/16
Miguel is a good friend of mine. They moved it to Brodie after it was behind star bar. He moved in his second truck behind star bar called Violet's when he moved Valentina's.
Aggie09Derek
12:16a, 6/30/16
Do you work for the DEA?
lovesdogs
12:49a, 6/30/16
My son lives in Austin, we're always looking for a good restaurant to eat at. Thanks for this one, I'll get him to try it before my next trip there.
Cowboy Curtis
1:18p, 4/29/24
Bump.
KT 90
3:42p, 4/29/24
In reply to Cowboy Curtis
Cowboy Curtis said:

Bump.
lol, this thread got more interesting given the recent events for Valentina's. Maybe the recent news is related to whatever Gramercy Riggs was referring to up above.

9:45p, 4/29/24
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/valentinas-tex-mex-bbq-under-investigation-by-us-department-of-labor/

Quote:

BUDA, Texas (KXAN) The U.S. Department of Labor confirmed its Wage and Hour Division is investigating Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ in Buda.

The department said no other information will be available until the investigation is completed.

KXAN media partners at the Austin Business Journal reported that the owners have a roughly $2.3 million debt.

When KXAN went to the restaurant, the doors were locked and there was a letter from the owners explaining their closure.

There was also a letter posted from the landlord that said the owners owe more than $91,000 in past due rent.
confucius_ag
4:07p, 5/1/24
AggieOO
9:11a, 5/2/24
In reply to txjortsagent
txjortsagent said:

Miguel is a good friend of mine. They moved it to Brodie after it was behind star bar. He moved in his second truck behind star bar called Violet's when he moved Valentina's.
knowing what we know about jorts and now some of the things coming out regarding Valentina's, this is a an interesting post.
Know Your Enemy
2:41p, 5/17/24
Was this food "infused" with any special ingredients?
The Silverback
4:58p, 5/21/24
Gramercy Riffs said:

Business stuff. I know nothing of health department issues or anything that would put any of you in danger. Go ahead and eat there... No worries.

I know this place from multiple angles through my job. I choose not to do business with them. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, the food is good.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings