Oil Change Horror Stories
5,853 Views | 50 Replies
p_bubel
4:28p, 4/12/11
quote:
Bought a new catch pan for changing oil on my 6.7 turbo cummins. Found out the hard way that the oil pan on the truck drains faster than the catch pan can consume it. My drive way looked like the BP oil spill.

Been there...

AggieBB
2:48p, 4/13/11
Get you a Kwik Valve if you drive a diesel. Makes your oil change a breeze!

www.qwikvalve.com
Stat Monitor Repairman
3:00p, 5/8/24
Alte Schule
3:44p, 5/8/24
TexAg1987
4:33p, 5/8/24
In reply to AggieBB
AggieBB said:

www.qwikvalve.com
bad link?
AgResearch
5:45p, 5/8/24
In reply to TexAg1987
TexAg1987 said:

AggieBB said:

www.qwikvalve.com
bad link?

Post is 13 years old
TexAg1987
3:58a, 5/9/24
In reply to AgResearch
Ahh. Did not notice.
docb
11:03a, 5/12/24
Had my outer housing break from over tightening on my Tacoma. Actually it's probably a design flaw as it's made out of plastic. This was done at some oil change place up in Steamboat. Wife called me and said the oil pressure light was on so I had her drive it to the house as she was only a few miles away. I got there a day later and the whole garage floor was covered in oil. They make an aftermarket outer housing that's metal so I put that on there. I also just decided to change the oil myself up there. It was ridiculous anyways as you had to schedule the appointment like 3 weeks out.
Dill-Ag13
8:25p, 5/12/24
In reply to docb
Happened to my Highlander twice, once was the dealer once was a mechanic. New mechanic put a metal one on but honestly the plastic one I liked because I'd rather the filter housing fail than the oil pan get cross-threaded. Idk how they do it, the thing doesn't need any torque just put a fresh o-ring on the housing and twist until it bottoms out, then STOP
Logos Stick
8:50a, 5/13/24
I had an incident recently with my 2012 Ford F150 at Valvoline.

During the change, I noticed it had been a bit and that the tech was using a drill to do something under my hood. I told the other tech that I only wanted an oil change. She said, yes, that's what we are doing. I asked what's up with the drill. She said they broke off the dipstick and could not remove it from the engine block. They were trying to drill a screw into the plastic that remained lodged to grab and remove it.

Long story short, they got the stick out but also pulled the housing sleeve out for the dip stick. That sleeve then subsequently broke off inside the block. Had to take it to a mechanic to get it retrieved and replaced. Valvoline paid for it, but they pushed back and were not easy to deal with. The manager actually said "had you been doing this, it would have broken off too." I said "It most likely would have I agree, but I was not doing it, you were! And you are responsible."
Milwaukees Best Light
9:00a, 5/13/24
Haven't changed my own oil in more than 25 years. No problems.

Probably just jinxed the whole damn thing.
BBRex
9:31a, 5/13/24
I was in New Braunfels visiting my Mom, and I needed to get an oil change, so I stopped and had it done there in town before driving back to Houston. I made it to Columbus before the oil light came on. I called the oil change place, and the manager drove to Columbus and fixed it. Drove the car for another three or four years without issue (well, except for the air conditioner).
EMY92
1:14p, 5/13/24
I had my truck at the dealer ship a few months ago. They lowered it, added oil, then I saw it going back up into the air. The filter was cracked and oil was pouring out as fast as it was going in. The dealer cleaned it up and redid the oil change.
GeeBee
5:04p, 5/14/24
In reply to docb
Toyota makes an OEM metal housing. I think they were for early Camry's. I bought one off Amazon for my 21 tundra. You just change out the cylinder looking deal that keeps the paper filter from collapsing. Easy. The reason for this is the tundra filter is longer. The housing that you load the filter onto and screw on is the same, just metal.

Here's the one I bought because it came with the socket.

ROYARON Genuine 15620-31060 + Genuine 04152-YZZA1 + Genuine 15643-31050 + Genuine 90430-12031, OEM Engine Oil Filter, Housing Cap Holder, Drain Plug Washer Set w Wrench Removal Replacement Tool https://a.co/d/h8spCG5
docb
5:30p, 5/14/24
In reply to GeeBee
That may be the exact one I bought. It was a little over a year ago but it looks familiar.
aglaes
9:33p, 5/14/24
Wasn't my nightmare, but I was getting my oil changed at a fast lube place in Conroe and was watching the service guys through the window. One of the cars being serviced was a compact car - not sure of the make and model. The prop rod that held the hood up was on one side about mid way back of the engine bay. They completed the service and one of the service guys did not notice the prop rod - I guess he assumed the hood was held up with struts or springs - and he first pulled down lightly on the hood and it wouldn't close he started pulling harder and harder on the hood finally putting everything he had into trying to pull the hood down and ended up bending it almost 90 degrees over the prop rod. Poor lady who owned the car was just watching in horror. Unbelievable.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings