Anyone drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee or have opinions?
1,176 Views | 16 Replies
El Chupacabra
7:46p, 5/5/24
Well?
htownag99
8:28p, 5/5/24
I had a 2016 GC limited and it was great, then one day, after it hit 90K, it's stopped being great. Literally at the 90K mile mark, it was going to the dealer/shop monthly. I put in 3 water pumps within a 6 month period, the rear hatch door assembly went out, the turn signal stock plastic gears wore out and had to manually disengage the turn signal. The evap hoses literally crumbled in my hand. The final straw was a random oil leak. I didnt want to deal with this and went car shopping. This was all within 6 months. I got tired of putting money into it and traded it on a 4Runner. I did disclose the oil leak when I traded
The Lost
10:22p, 5/5/24
I have opinions.

Minivan or white f150
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
12:04a, 5/6/24
In reply to El Chupacabra
Run as fast as you can to a 4Runner
Flaith
8:17a, 5/6/24
I drove a '99 grand cherokee laredo in HS and my first three years of college. I liked it. Hope this helps
htxag09
9:29a, 5/6/24
A good friend recently bought one of the newer models and is currently working with a lemon law lawyer....

Funnest part of his issue is it is electrical related and the battery is under the passenger seat (it's died 6 or 7 or so times now, 3 of those times were in the dealers parking lot when he went to pick it up after they called him to tell him it was fixed).
El Chupacabra
10:08a, 5/6/24
In reply to Kyle Field Shade Chaser
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

Run as fast as you can to a 4Runner
Maybe a Highlander, I can't get past a 4Runner's gas mileage.
Hwy30East
5:23a, 5/7/24
In reply to El Chupacabra
I have a 2011 that I really like, with 135k miles. I've been considering getting a new one, but my wife is pushing me to go back to a full size truck. I like the size and comfort of the Grand Cherokee. I really haven't had any major problems with it, other than replacing the radiator twice. Plastic cracks.
KALALL
7:38a, 5/7/24
I have a 2022 that I've really liked so far. It has about 50k miles on it and there have been no issues.
Kuz89
8:16a, 5/7/24
Wife drove a 2011 and put 165K+ on it. It did have an issue with the fuel pump relay that the dealer fixed under warranty. Traded that in for a 2020 that currently has 65k on it with zero issues.

I know Jeeps don't get much of love on this board but we have been lucky with them.
agnerd
10:36a, 5/7/24
Ride isn't as bad as a Wrangler, isn't as good as all the other similarly sized unibody SUvs. If you spend all your time on the road, there are better options. If you offroad occasionally, Grand Cherokee and 4runner are good choices.
11:55a, 5/7/24
My wife has a 2021 Grand Cherokee L. it is at 60,000 miles now and has been trouble free. We really like the size, its just as usable as a full sizer in my opinion since we don't tow with it. It does feel a little underpowered in the upper RPM's but I am not sure how that compares to others in its class in that regard, the regular length one is probably better in that category.
jh0400
3:56p, 5/7/24
I've got a 2022 4xe Trailhawk, and it's been great aside from a known issue with the electric coolant heater that had to be replaced under warranty. It rides smoother than my wife's RDX due to the air suspension, and the off-road capabilities are there as well.
FIDO*98*
4:15p, 5/7/24
Thanks to my 2020 Ram I will never buy another Stellantis vehicle. Buy a Sequoia
NoahAg
11:46a, 5/8/24
In reply to htownag99
htownag99 said:

I had a 2016 GC limited and it was great, then one day, after it hit 90K, it's stopped being great. Literally at the 90K mile mark, it was going to the dealer/shop monthly. I put in 3 water pumps within a 6 month period, the rear hatch door assembly went out, the turn signal stock plastic gears wore out and had to manually disengage the turn signal. The evap hoses literally crumbled in my hand. The final straw was a random oil leak. I didnt want to deal with this and went car shopping. This was all within 6 months. I got tired of putting money into it and traded it on a 4Runner. I did disclose the oil leak when I traded
Other than that how did you like it?
ChipFTAC01
12:23p, 5/8/24
I realized walking into th office this morning that I've been driving a GC for over 20 years. I bought a 2000 in 03 with about 40k miles on it. I drove it until 2015 and about 225k with almost no issues. Tranmission went out on my way to the dealer to trade it in.

Ended up buying a 2015 after looking around and it's done me well for another 100k. I don't think I've had any issues with it. It's a nice size for me. Might go bigger when I trade it in, but I said the same thing 9 years ago. Maybe I'll be driving a grand Cherokee forever.
htownag99
1:04p, 5/8/24
In reply to NoahAg
From 2016 until 2023, I loved it. It was comfortable, great gas mileage, good for roadtrips. Honestly, I did enjoy the GC and when the issues started one after another and before I traded it, I was down to a Grand Cherokee L, and the 4Runner. I went with the 4Runner because I've always wanted one, and knew this was the last opportunity to get one in the current generation. Other than the gas mileage, I love the 4Runner. After a few fillups, I got used to the bad mileage.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings