9:24a, 5/13/24
In reply to AggieOO
Quote:

...not fun.
Not fun? I thought it was a blast.
AggieOO
9:24a, 5/13/24
In reply to aggiespartan
The brewery is really nice. Definitely worth a stop.

Other New Glarus beers I like. With your timing some may or may not still be around or have just come out:

Fat Squirrel (probably won't be out yet)
Staghorn (oktoberfest, might be out)
Totally Naked
Bubbler
Moon Man
Kid Kolsch
Dancing Man Wheat

I don't really like fruited beers, but theirs are rated very highly. Their Thumbprint series beers are usually really good too. And there are experimental beers you can only get at the brewery. They'll be in the shop downstairs.

For non-NG...Central Waters makes really solid beer, especially their BA stouts. I'm also a big fan of One Barrel Brewing. Wisconsin Amber from Capital brewing is a mainstay when we are up there. 3 Sheeps has some good stuff, but if you find The Wolf, that is the prize.

If you get to madison Young Blood and Karben4, Ale Asylum are solid, but can't remember how much they distribute.

If you see anything from Rhinelander Brewing, avoid it at all cost. Their beers are terrible. All of them. Seriously. I'm not sure how they stay in business. Probably because there's not much in Rhinelander.

I'm leaving a bunch off, including some good ones, but you are going for a race, not to put on 20 lbs.
AggieOO
9:28a, 5/13/24
In reply to AggieLAX
AggieLAX said:

Quote:

...not fun.
Not fun? I thought it was a blast.
have to edit...didn't even remember what i posted and thought you were quoting coop.

That first part wasn't bad the first couple times. try it for 6 hours and let me know if its still fun.
AggieLAX
9:34a, 5/13/24
In reply to AggieOO
AggieOO said:

try it for 6 hours and let me know if its still fun.

Fair
AggieOO
2:16p, 5/17/24
April updates for anyone who cares.

aggiespartan
2:48p, 5/17/24
Anybody going to be out at Possum Kingdom? I'm pacing, but I'm going to try to get out there a little earlier than I need to.
coop-aero-06
5:44p, 5/17/24
In reply to AggieOO
Good stuff. I'm glad to see that y'all are keeping up with the regular monthly updates. The production quality looks to be improving too.

I'll be racing the Silver State 50k tomorrow and it's going to be a hot one. I haven't finished an ultra in over 2 years now, so I'm just looking forward to seeing some familiar faces at the aid stations helping to get me to the finish line.
AggieOO
6:47p, 5/17/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
Appreciate it. It's all a work in progress.

And good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you'll crush it.
aggiespartan
11:18a, 5/19/24
A ton of DNFs at Possum's Revenge because of the heat. A couple sounded serious. I had to calm my runner down a bit and had him take a long break. I got him settled down and he was good to go again. We ended up picking up 3 extra people (one lady who was getting herself turned around, one guy who was just having a hard time, and another guy whose light died) and I paced 4 people into the finish about 30 minutes before cutoff. I was out there much later than I anticipated, and started running much later than I anticipated, but I guess that comes with the job.
AggieOO
11:19a, 5/19/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

A ton of DNFs at Possum's Revenge because of the heat. A couple sounded serious. I had to calm my runner down a bit and had him take a long break. I got him settled down and he was good to go again. We ended up picking up 3 extra people (one lady who was getting herself turned around, one guy who was just having a hard time, and another guy whose light died) and I paced 4 people into the finish about 30 minutes before cutoff. I was out there much later than I anticipated, and started running much later than I anticipated, but I guess that comes with the job.

Nice work. I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.
AggieOO
11:21a, 5/19/24
I managed to accidentally grab my sister's small bag along with my wife's stuff after a wedding last night. It contained her car keys, so I got to make a 3 hour round trip this morning to get it back to her. No long run today, so have to sit down and rearrange my training this week.
aggiespartan
5:43p, 5/19/24
In reply to AggieOO
They all seemed very appreciated and they all ran across the line together. Everyone seemed to be in pretty good spirits after.

It looks like 33 finished and 30 DNF'd.
aggiespartan
11:55a, 5/20/24
I know it's not very likely, but anyone else here doing Javelina?
coop-aero-06
12:12p, 5/20/24
In reply to aggiespartan
I am not, but there are a handful of folks from my local running club who are doing Javelina 100. I can get you in touch with them if needed.
AggieOO
12:46p, 5/20/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
How'd silver state go?
aggiespartan
1:05p, 5/20/24
219 people signed up for Cocodona.
coop-aero-06
2:47p, 5/20/24
In reply to AggieOO
So much fun. It feels great to be an ultra runner again. I was about 30 minutes slower than my 2018 race, which seems about right considering that I don't have a big fitness base anymore and it was a bit warmer this year. I'm really looking forward to a full summer of running now.
AggieOO
2:50p, 5/20/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
any other races planned or just building fitness and seeing where things go?
Dafstun
4:28p, 5/20/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

I'm way down on the wait-list so likely not. I was wanting that to be my big race for the year but I didnt plan well enough.

However, I pulled the trigger and signed up for the Rocky 100 in Feb for my first 100 miler.

Will probably try to get at least a 50k in and maybe the Dinosaur Valley 100k in Nov.
coop-aero-06
4:29p, 5/20/24
In reply to AggieOO
The latter. I've got some things in mind, but with the family schedule I'm going to wait a little while before registering for anything.

I am doing a road relay race in two weeks though. That's going to be painful.
AggieOO
6:04p, 5/20/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
I hear you. Balancing training for AC100 has been interesting with kids activities, but that's life now so I just have to roll with it if I want to keep doing these things. Doing long runs when traveling for work helps, but sometimes I get loaded up with meetings and it screws everything up. I had plans to set up perfectly for my work trip next week...then I got two full days, plus dinners dropped on my schedule. Scrambling to figure out how I'm going to move things around.

After BFC, the wife gets priority for a while, which is why I think cocodona '25 is out for me. Plus, there's only 9 spots left anyway.
AggieOO
6:44p, 5/20/24
In reply to AggieOO
And Cocodona is sold out.
aggiespartan
8:52p, 5/20/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
I may ask again a little later. I might be looking to see if anyone wants to share a crew tent.
aggiespartan
8:54p, 5/20/24
In reply to Dafstun
Dafstun said:

aggiespartan said:

I'm way down on the wait-list so likely not. I was wanting that to be my big race for the year but I didnt plan well enough.

However, I pulled the trigger and signed up for the Rocky 100 in Feb for my first 100 miler.

Will probably try to get at least a 50k in and maybe the Dinosaur Valley 100k in Nov.
I did the Dino Valley 50k last year. It's just so many loops.
A is A
8:55p, 5/28/24
In reply to A is A
A is A said:

Anyone ran High Hope ranch?

I'm pacing a buddy doing the high hope 100k (more for me getting free miles on a race setting than for him). I threw in a morning 10k race for me.

How are the trails? Good race?
For those that are interested in a recap

My buddy cancelled on the 100k so I upped to the 25k.

Not sure if anyone here has ran High Hope but it was decent. Beautiful wildflowers, 50% was grass jeep trails. not much single track. They had a 5k loop and a 10k loop. So the 25k was Big, Little, Big.

It was extremely hot and there were a LOT of DNFs at the 100k level. Audrey, a 16yr old was leading the 200k until about 2/3 of the way through. She ended up getting second.

I've only had 3 trail experiences, so far Wildflower at Bastrop SP is by and far the best race I've been to. I'd follow that up with High Hope, then Rattler in a distant 3rd.

I have not raced, but run Hill Country State Park and I'd put that at 1B.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 13 of 13
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings