Give me a mind-blowing history fact
83,299 Views | 750 Replies
Rongagin71
7:52p, 5/16/24
In reply to Cinco Ranch Aggie
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Did they miss, or did the torpedoes hit and fail to explode? I know that was a major problem with our torpedoes early in the war.
Probably a combination of those explanations, with an additional explanation that they were shot down without having launched
I think I remember an interview where Gay said he watched torpedoes (pickles, he called them) miss, but that was not in this interview (starts at 4:00 mark). He does say he was picked up by a PBY here.

Cen-Tex
8:43p, 5/16/24
In reply to Murder Hornet
Murder Hornet said:

Cen-Tex said:

LMCane said:

The Confederate Rebel Yell sounded like a pack of hungry hyenas

Liked the Don Troiani artwork in the clip

Any truth that our Whooping is based on the rebel yell?
Probably sounds similar to the rebel yell. Here's some testimony from former yell leaders re: the origin of the 'Whoop'.
Aggie1205
10:30p, 5/16/24
In reply to Rongagin71
Here are a couple of quotes from Gay's book Sole Survivor on some points here:

First is related to leaving A&M.

"There are many reasons I didn't want to go back to college for my junior year. Money was one. I knew it was draining my folks just to keep me there, and with Hitler running wild in Europe it was obvious the U.S. would have to bail things out again. Somehow, what I was doing at school just didn't seem to be what I would want to do if I had to fight in a war. So I decided to go home and talk things over - this did not seem to be something to discuss on the telephone"

Here are a few sections where he talks about Midway.

"I cannot tell you the sequence in which the planes went down. Everything was happening at once, but I was consciously seeing it all. At least one plane blew up, and each would hit the water and seem to disappear."

"Waldron was shot down very early. His plane burst into flames, and I saw him stand up to get out of the fire. He put his right leg outside the cockpit, and then hit the water and disappeared. His radioman, Dobbs, didn't have a chance. Good old Dobbs. When we had been leaving Pearl Harbor, Dobbs had orders back to the States to teach radio. But he had chosen to delay that assignment and stay with us."

"Much to early, it seemed, Bob Huntington said, "They got me!" "Are you hurt bad?" I asked. I looked back and Bob was slumped down almost out of sight. "Can you move?" I asked. He said no more."

"The cable, or mechanical release, came out of the instrument panel on the left side, designed to be pulled with the left hand. But those damn Zeros had messed up my program. My left hand did not work. Anyway, it was awkward, and I almost lost control of the plane trying to pull out that cable by the roots. I can't honestly say I got rid of that torpedo. It felt like it. I had never done it before so I couldn't be sure, and it the plane pitching like a bronco, I had to be content with trying my best"

"God, but that ship looked big! I remember thinking, "Why in the hell doesn't the Hornet look that big when I'm trying to land on her?"

Lots more in about watching the carriers get hit and surviving in the water. Good book and worth having with the connection to A&M.

JABQ04
9:19a, 5/17/24
Murder Hornet said:

Cen-Tex said:

LMCane said:

Maybe. Seeing as how the first umpteen-years would have had sons and grandsons of Confederate veterans attending the college.
CanyonAg77
10:40a, 5/17/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

Maybe. Seeing as how the first umpteen-years would have had sons and grandsons of Confederate veterans attending the college.
Faculty was likely 90% Confederate veterans as well
Cen-Tex
11:33a, 5/17/24
Listening to the yell leader interviews, the Whoop wasn't heard until the 1960's.
Stive
11:49a, 5/17/24
In reply to Cen-Tex
Yeah I knew/know some pre 1960's old ags and back then it was more of a high pitched "who-ah", with no "p" on the end.

LMCane
12:20p, 5/17/24
the cool thing about technology is they can recreate entire battles down to each plane releasing.

an incredible fact is that we sent out entire squadrons of B-17s and PBY to bomb the main Japanese force which we detected early on, and EVERY SINGLE bomb missed.

approximately 150 American planes attacked the Japanese before we had our first hit by the SBD dive bombing squadron!

Rabid Cougar
1:24p, 5/17/24
Murder Hornet said:

Cen-Tex said:

LMCane said:

Rebel Yell was a high pitched yipping sound like coyotes...

Confederate Veterans - Recorded Rebel Yell
Hogties
2:30p, 5/17/24
Mind blowing personal history fact - my brother in law is about my age, 60.

His grandfather was part of General Pershing's expedition into Mexico chasing after Pancho Villa and was too old to be shipped out for WWI. Also, his uncle died in the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918.

Having a dad and granddad each having sons in their 70's does odd things to time perspectives.
HarleySpoon
7:54p, 5/17/24
In reply to Hogties
Hogties said:

His grandfather was part of General Pershing's expedition into Mexico chasing after Pancho Villa and was too old to be shipped out for WWI. Also, his uncle died in the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918.

Having a dad and granddad each having sons in their 70's does odd things to time perspectives.
Mind blowing personal fact:

- I'm not even 60 and had an uncle (not great uncle) that fought in the Spanish American war.

- My wife's grandfather was Pershing's personal driver when he was on the border. Member of an Iowa unit sent to assist. Pershing sent him an engraved artillery spent shell casing at the end of WWI that he had made into an ash tray. Pershing said it was one of the last shells fired. It's in the possession of my BIL. We have about 50 old pictures of the Iowa boys during their deployment there….none of which have ever been published.

- I had an uncle (not great uncle) that died in an Army Air Corp crash in 1928 in San Antonio.
NE PA Ag
11:28p, 5/17/24
In reply to Hogties
Hogties said:

The grandfather was in his 70s when his grandson was born is what I think you meant. I'm 59, my grandfather was 70 when I was born, he was born in 1894 and was 22 when Pershing went into Mexico and 24 when he was injured from mustard gas in France. My dad was 35 when I was born. Not too unusual actually.
JABQ04
11:45p, 5/17/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

Murder Hornet said:

Cen-Tex said:

LMCane said:

Rebel Yell was a high pitched yipping sound like coyotes...

Confederate Veterans - Recorded Rebel Yell

HarleySpoon
4:33a, 5/18/24
In reply to NE PA Ag
NE PA Ag said:

Hogties said:

The grandfather was in his 70s when his grandson was born is what I think you meant. I'm 59, my grandfather was 70 when I was born, he was born in 1894 and was 22 when Pershing went into Mexico and 24 when he was injured from mustard gas in France. My dad was 35 when I was born. Not too unusual actually.
Exactly, not that unusual. My grandfather would have been 85 when I was born and I'm in in my late 50's. His wife, my grandmother of course, would tell stories of the Indians bringing turtles to there log cabin and asking her mother to cook them. That grandmother died in 1960 and had never learned to read or write….had to sign her name with an X.

The uncle that fought in the Spanish American war had married my mom's oldest sister when that sister was 17 and he was almost 60.
1990Hullaballoo
8:24p, 5/18/24
My great great grandfather served with Pershing going into Mexico after Pancho Villa and also with him in the Philippines in WWI. This is the only known picture of him. Also the program for the Christmas meal in 1914 from the Philippines.

My grandfather told me he was Pershing's personal interpreter. He was apparently also a cook as the program says. I would like to find a way to corroborate that story and learn his history of service. My grandfather always spoke very fondly of him.

One story is that when he joined the army, he only spoke German and had a very thick accent. They could not understand him well and misspelled his last name. When he died, his wife tried to make sure his name was spelled con his tombstone. It still got messed up, so the family just changed the name to the more common Groesbeck instead of Groesbach. He is buried ant Ft. Sam in San Antonio very near the flag pole at the main entrance.

There has been someone from every generation since in the family serve in some capacity. All the way down to my nephew who is a senior in Parson's at aTm. I intend to get the pieces of this picture framed and give to him.

nortex97
8:38a, 5/19/24
Quote:

re-modern life was not the most sanitary...

The 12th century scholar Ioannes Tzetzes, who lived in Constantinople, recorded a problem he had with his upstairs neighbors.

Namely, he complained about the "river of urine."

Having problematic upstairs neighbors sounds modern, but…the actual issue is not. "On the floor above him there lived a priest with 'more children the Priam' (Priam was King of Troy with 50 sons and many daughters). Along with the children they also kept pigs. The children and pigs produced 'rivers of urine on which ships might sail.' Tzetzes was reminded of 'the horses of Xerxes, which drank so much that they dried up the rivers; but the priests brood and pigs did the opposite. And if it happened to rain at the same time...' Tzetzes pleaded with his landlord to install gutters or thick tile plumbing that would direct these rivers away from his front door."

Constantinople was advanced enough there were solutions to these issues like gutters or plumbing, but clearly they weren't universal.

I imagine in many areas of the dense urban city that there was quite a smell. I doubt the crowded areas where masses of poorer citizens lived were much more sanitary than what was in Western Europe, even though for some it was better. Certainly for the upper class of Constantinople. One thing I find interesting is it seems rather like the urban life of antiquity, such as Ancient Rome. The multi-story overcrowded apartments and a huge population.

Source: A Cabinet of Byzantine Curios

Yikes.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 22 of 22
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode