U of Houston tells NFL to pound sand
11,302 Views | 45 Replies
AtticusMatlock
12:34a, 5/2/24
They've sent a reply letter to the NFL (who'd previously sent a cease and desist) telling them they will continue to wear the blue alternate unis.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-football-team-go-forward-houston-inspired-blue-unis-despite-nfls-cease-and-desist-report
The Chicken Ranch
5:15a, 5/2/24
Good!

They need to.
Al Bula
6:12a, 5/2/24
Not AFR.

The Zookeeper
7:08a, 5/2/24
Didn't Ray Childress wear a uni kinda like that?
ironmanag
7:10a, 5/2/24
In reply to Al Bula
Al Bula said:

Not AFR.

Its the offseason Karen.
Ogre09
7:21a, 5/2/24
In reply to Al Bula
Lighten up, Francis
tk111
7:21a, 5/2/24
In reply to ironmanag
ironmanag said:

Al Bula said:

Not AFR.

Its the offseason Karen.
cross-posted on nextdoor
alamogeorge
9:09a, 5/2/24
In reply to Al Bula
Al Bula said:

Not AFR.

The Aggies should do it in solidarity. Discuss. Now it's AFR.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
bth15ag
9:16a, 5/2/24
In reply to alamogeorge
GBH did this bit when we played Arkansas wearing their Cowboys inspired jerseys.
BTKAG97
9:28a, 5/2/24
How does a football team "copyright" uniform color combinations?

There are no "Houston Oiler" markings on the UH uniform.

If the Tennessee Titans and/or the NFL can tell another sports entity they can not use a specific color combination then there will be 1000's of other teams across the US that will somehow have to figure out a way to update their uniform colors to something "unique".
The Zookeeper
9:30a, 5/2/24
In reply to AtticusMatlock
AtticusMatlock said:

They've sent a reply letter to the NFL (who'd previously sent a cease and desist) telling them they will continue to wear the blue alternate unis.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-football-team-go-forward-houston-inspired-blue-unis-despite-nfls-cease-and-desist-report
Hmmm .... Just noticed ... User Name checks out.
Spaceball 1
10:58a, 5/2/24
the NFL royally screwed Houston. I have no problem with the Adams family moving the team, but the Oilers and our history belongs to the city not the family. And for that reason I love what UH is doing, its arguing we have our own claim to luv ya blue and the Oilers

I hope Bud Adams is chillin with Jesus but I hate the man.
Flashdiaz
11:28a, 5/2/24
In reply to Spaceball 1
Dumb Bud Adams family missed a golden opportunity to let Houston use the color (and even the logo) for a percentage of sales. That merchandise, affiliated with the current football team would have generated lots of cash.
But now all they got is Tennessee fans that have no history with the Oilers.

Also, don't buy Oiler gear, it all goes to the Titans.
Unemployed
12:02p, 5/2/24
In reply to Spaceball 1
Spaceball 1 said:

the NFL royally screwed Houston. I have no problem with the Adams family moving the team, but the Oilers and our history belongs to the city not the family. And for that reason I love what UH is doing, its arguing we have our own claim to luv ya blue and the Oilers

I hope Bud Adams is chillin with Jesus but I hate the man.

City of Houston didn't own the Oilers so why should its history belong to them?
Craigy
12:24p, 5/2/24
In reply to BTKAG97
BTKAG97 said:

If the Tennessee Titans and/or the NFL can tell another sports entity they can not use a specific color combination then there will be 1000's of other teams across the US that will somehow have to figure out a way to update their uniform colors to something "unique".
Iowa Hawkeyes/Pittsburgh Steelers
SchizoAg
12:31p, 5/2/24
Oops. Looks like we've got a woke moderator, Ags. Better not say anything less-than-celebratory about a protected group.
BMX Bandit
12:49p, 5/2/24
In reply to BTKAG97
Quote:

they can't. its a trademark and tradedress issue.

is there a likelihood of confusion? thats the question ultimately .

no one thinks the iowa hawkeyes are wearing steeler uniforms.

do people think the houston cougars are wearing oiler uniforms? many in houston thought just that.

(i think the cougars have a solid defense here as they say the columbia blue for city of houston existed before and apart from the oilers)
1:05p, 5/2/24
In reply to Al Bula
Al Bula said:

Not AFR.

Lighten up, Poindexter
Triple-T
1:17p, 5/2/24
Love these Uniforms - and this is a fantastic way to stick it to the woke-bs NFL!
$240 Worth of Pudding
1:39p, 5/2/24
I've been a diehard Cowboy fan for 50 years but I MISS the Oilers. Perfect team name and logo for that city. And the uniforms were just so good looking.

Screw the Adams family.
pointer74
5:59p, 5/2/24
In reply to bth15ag
bth15ag said:

GBH did this bit when we played Arkansas wearing their Cowboys inspired jerseys.

I actually like this!!!
Jugstore Cowboy
7:15p, 5/2/24
In reply to bth15ag
bth15ag said:

Kinda want a hat with that logo.
Buck Turgidson
7:46p, 5/2/24
Bud Adams was a spiteful, selfish ***** who looked like the fatter brother of the Quaker Oats guy. He could have had some class and left the name & logo behind for the eventual new franchise like Cleveland did, but he was who he was. I think the whole city hated him in the end.

Gotta say, though, I do NOT miss the colors. Always hated Columbia Blue, especially when paired with red.
Furlock Bones
8:09p, 5/2/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
The police used to drive Columbia blue cruisers and wear Columbia blue uniforms.
Johnsy3
8:21p, 5/2/24

Burpelson
10:18p, 5/2/24
HPD squad cars had the Baby blue colors in the late 80's and 90's, it was not just an Oiler thing.
Bill Superman
10:44p, 5/2/24
In reply to bth15ag
bth15ag said:

Damn, those are actually amazing.
Iraq2xVeteran
11:05p, 5/2/24
I am glad UH ignored the NFL's cease-and-desist letter by continuing with plans to use light blue alternative uniforms for their sports teams. The NFL has no right to trademark this color because the Oilers have been nonexistent since 1999.
Agvet12
3:53a, 5/3/24
So UH can't wear them but ole piss wearing the same combo of colors is ok?

What a joke
davido
5:26a, 5/3/24
In reply to Spaceball 1
Spaceball 1 said:

I have no problem with the Adams family moving the team, but the Oilers and our history belongs to the city not the family.

I agree. It should come with the stadium bond. If the citizens are paying for the stadium, they should get rights to the brand also.
The Zookeeper
12:04p, 5/3/24
Let's be honest ... UH is trying to improve their local image and broaden their appeal by conjuring the Oilers color scheme and almost mimicking the uni design with the pattern of the colors and stripes. Mission accomplished. I like it, and I'm from Dallas.

If the NFL is going to sue here, it will be a bad look for them. It will likely only increase the public sentiment towards UH (which isn't really good for us and others recruiting Houston). I think that Houston area had almost been able to move on with the Oilers debacle and "The Texans" chosen as the name of replacement franchise. Almost ... many of my oil derrick tattooed friends are still rightfully jaded that the Oilers name didn't say with Houston. To a certain degree, a UH uniform mimicking the Oilers diminishes from the Texans, so I see the motivation from the NFL. Aggressive action here is likely going to be bad publicity.

Plus, the NFL missed out on earlier set precedence. Go after these 2 too ... while they're at it:
MosesRAB-93
1:03p, 5/3/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones said:

The police used to drive Columbia blue cruisers and wear Columbia blue uniforms.

I may be misremembering, but also the METRO busses?
MaxPower
3:01p, 5/3/24
In reply to BTKAG97
BTKAG97 said:

I don't get why the NFL is sending anything. Shouldn't this be a Tennessee Titans issue?
neAGle96
7:42p, 5/3/24
In reply to Burpelson
Burpelson said:

HPD squad cars had the Baby blue colors in the late 80's and 90's, it was not just an Oiler thing.

The city of Houston's color is Columbia blue. HPD Cruisers and uniforms had the city's color, Columbia blue
greg.w.h
8:53a, 5/4/24
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_blue
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE