Defense Will Be Good
7,998 Views | 47 Replies
Tanker123
2:22p, 5/7/24
In reply to VP at Pierce and Pierce
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

Tanker123 said:

I wonder what the statistical defense comparison looks like for Elko's tenure at A&M and Jimbo's last two years.
Quick research shows the following...

Under Elko's four years we allowed 21.5 ppg, 59.15% completion, 220 pass ypg, 1.6 pass TD per game, 113 rush ypg, 3.6 rush ypc, 0.8 rush TD per game, 334 total ypg, 18.1 first downs per game, forced 1.15 turnovers per game.

Under Durkin: 21.65 ppg, 57.9% completion, 181 pass ypg, 1.4 pass TD per game, 158.8 rush ypg, 4.1 rush ypc, 0.9 rush TD per game, 340.6 total ypg, 18.6 first downs per game, forced 1.15 turnovers per game.

Stats don't tell the whole story, and I'm not sure anyone would suggest Durkin's defenses were better than Elko's. I would expect Elko's defenses to tackle better, play the run better, and be more fundamental.
Both coaches run a bend but dont break defense which can be maddening in the moment but really effective in preventing scoring.

Durkin's defenses tended to get gashed in the run and not utilizer the depth and talent along to DL to create pressure thus needing more pressure from LB and secondary on blitzes. Durkin's defense also had the worst DB technique I have ever seen with the flag football chase technique, how that was thought to be a good idea is beyond me.

I recall Elko at both A&M and Duke having a knack for going prevent or not blitzing at inopportune times giving up easy completions. That said, Elko is inheriting a DL like he has never seen ever and some serious talent at DB. My hope is he stays aggressive.

Both coaches were negatively impacted by the lack of discipline and the poor S&C and nutrition under Jimbo. I am really hoping that has changed and if so I expect Elko's defense and overall team to be a whole letter grade better.

The last two seasons I watched games where the defense got mauled over and over. Those games reminded me of the Torbush defenses.
P.U.T.U
2:36p, 5/7/24
Can't always go by stats since you can always make them lean one way or the other. They are a good starting point but you can't say Durkin is better since he has better stats. Win/loss is key and you would need to look at other things like TOP, opponents starting yard, third down conversion %, who we played, etc. to get the full story. The defense was our strong side last season but when we needed it we couldn't stop anyone. Like with LSU we could be in a game but LSU could do whatever they wanted in the fourth quarter. That was not solely on Durkin since our S&C coach was horrible, but he couldn't figure out a way to stop anyone
Emilio Fantastico
2:48p, 5/7/24
In reply to P.U.T.U
I'm thinking that maybe the issues each DC had here might have been due to some of their assistants.

Seemed like under Elko that LB play was very suspect at times (Santucci). When Durkin came in, he coached LBs and they got better.

Our secondary was pretty much terrible under Durkin any time we faced a team with a good WR. And this was with, if you go by star ratings, better talent than what Elko started with. Talent got better under Elko but I think secondary coaching got worse especially under Durkin.
TX_Aggie37
4:22p, 5/7/24
I did not run those stats for SEC play only. Might be interesting to look at that.

What I recall about Elko's defense was lacluster first quarters/halves followed by great halftime adjustments, a lack of creating turnovers, but generally solid play.
vander54
4:34p, 5/7/24
Durkin DFEI ranks

2023: #23
2022: #30

Elko DFEI ranks

2021: #7
2020: #35
2019: #20
2018: #25

Pre Elko

2017: #42
2016: #43
World's worst proofreader
Ferg
4:54p, 5/7/24
With a coach actually assigned to Special Teams, I think ST will help position both the Offense and Defense to be successful with better field positioning.
Tanker123
5:35p, 5/7/24
I am going to trust in Moffett to motivate the players to work their asses off and to out train the opponents. One of the reasons Japanese Judo does so well is because they absolutely train hard which gives them an advantage. He will the general the soldiers want to follow because he motivates them and is a winner.
phatcat
9:18a, 5/8/24
We have been solid on defense since Elko first came to Aggieland, I expect us to be a top defense in country with big Mike at the helm. He has put together the best coaching staff ever at A&M in my opinion! Klein will be best offensive coach we have ever had. It feels like culture is what Elko is all about and has improved from day one!
Can't wait for season to start!
beerad12man
9:23a, 5/8/24
In reply to SinKiller
SinKiller said:

I guess we'll just forget Elko's last game as DC for the Ags? .Elko's D's were never the 2nd coming of the WC, good, sometimes capable defenses, he wasn't Buddy Ryan.
Elko's last defense was absolutely elite and a NC level defense.
beerad12man
9:27a, 5/8/24
Durkin wasn't as bad as people think. He still wasn't good considering the talent level, IMHO. Merely average. Elko definitely built up the defense into being significantly better than he took over.

I wouldn't classify Elko as bend but don't break, at least not any more so than Nick Saban or Kirby Smart. All coaches run that to some extent in today's game. Coastag can do a much better breakdown as to what Elko does in comparison to Durkin, or a guy like Smart for that matter. He's a top tier defensive coach in the game. Pound for pound talent wise, he'll do about as well as anyone. It's just a matter of getting the talent. Seems we have a good combination of talent/experience this year.
Tanker123
10:35a, 5/8/24
In reply to beerad12man
beerad12man said:

Durkin wasn't as bad as people think. He still wasn't good considering the talent level, IMHO. Merely average. Elko definitely built up the defense into being significantly better than he took over.

I wouldn't classify Elko as bend but don't break, at least not any more so than Nick Saban or Kirby Smart. All coaches run that to some extent in today's game. Coastag can do a much better breakdown as to what Elko does in comparison to Durkin, or a guy like Smart for that matter. He's a top tier defensive coach in the game. Pound for pound talent wise, he'll do about as well as anyone. It's just a matter of getting the talent. Seems we have a good combination of talent/experience this year.
I am excited about some of the transfers on defense because they were very productive. Elko did not go after players with potential but ones that have proven themselves on the field of play. Is there a way to illuminate past performances of the players transferring in on defense?

Transfers In:
Junior Nic Scourton, DE - (50 tackles, 15 TFL, 10 sacks in 12 games at Purdue; All-B1G selection)
Solomon DeShields - OLB, 58 tackles and 2 sacks as he played in 11 games in 2023.
NewEra2023
12:04p, 5/8/24
In reply to beerad12man
beerad12man said:

SinKiller said:

I guess we'll just forget Elko's last game as DC for the Ags? .Elko's D's were never the 2nd coming of the WC, good, sometimes capable defenses, he wasn't Buddy Ryan.
Elko's last defense was absolutely elite and a NC level defense.

as long as he doesnt ever put a CB converted from Safety in press coverage on 3rd&Long with 10 seconds left in the game.
(Ahem! Jaylon Jones…)
Jack Friday
3:30p, 5/8/24
Elko will have a solid defense...If the NG /1-Tech DT position is decent then it could be wrecking crew good dare-I-say...If Regis/Shamu/Rodas are brick walls along with the known talent at DE and 3-Tech then the DL will be very, very nasty...
drink32
3:38p, 5/8/24
In reply to Jack Friday
Agreed. Still hoping Gabe Dindy can get healthy here and emerge as this guy, but I think Rodas will do fine if he doesn't.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings