Denver this week
1,354 Views | 17 Replies
Txmoe
10:18a, 5/7/24
Two couples, will be in Denver Wed-Sat this week. Staying in the southern Highland/Downtown area. Nights are covered with concert at Red Rocks and baseball game. I've done some homework but curious what others think are the 'can't-miss' places. Not a foodie group per se but we like a good bar/restaurant/brewery. Shopping for the ladies is always a plus. TIA!
Petrino1
11:04a, 5/7/24
Avanti Food and Beverage seems right up your alley. Close to downtown. Lots of food vendors and bars. There's a rooftop bar with nice views.
Schall 02
1:24p, 5/7/24
Post Oak BBQ is legit. ChoLon is fantastic. Tavernetta, too. The burger at Guard and Grace...
NColoradoAG
1:54p, 5/7/24
Wife and I always enjoy walking up to My Brothers Bar for a burger after a hockey or baseball game. We'll often go on to Little Man Ice Cream afterwards.
eiggA2002
2:25p, 5/7/24
One of the best cities for breweries. LoDo and River North have dozens of excellent craft breweries.

Larimer Street has some fun restaurants.
Aggie_Boomin 21
1:59p, 5/8/24
Should be a good time to visit as they might have started cleaning up downtown for the colfax marathon in a few weeks.

Not sure what Highlands/Downtown means or how you'd be in both since I25 and a river separate them, but I'd stick to the Highlands area.
bam02
10:05p, 5/8/24
In reply to Txmoe
Going for Turnpike??? Jealous, if so!
Txmoe
10:30a, 5/9/24
In reply to bam02
bam02 said:

Yep, tonight. Bucket list item for us. Tomorrow night is Rangers v Rockies.
an antelope ate it
11:01a, 5/9/24
Meow Wolf
The Pilot
11:08a, 5/9/24
In reply to Txmoe
Txmoe said:

bam02 said:

Pro tip for Red Rocks. Don't park in the parking lots. Park along the road facing down. This makes the exit much easier. Be warned though, it can be a hike to/from the venue.
62strat
12:16p, 5/9/24
In reply to Aggie_Boomin 21
Quote:

Not sure what Highlands/Downtown means or how you'd be in both since I25 and a river separate them, but I'd stick to the Highlands area.
lower highlands is ~1 mile from CBD.

He's looking for a restaurant/brewery referral, do we need to know what intersection he's staying to help out?

Aggie_Boomin 21
9:07p, 5/9/24
In reply to 62strat
62strat said:

Quote:

lower highlands is ~1 mile from CBD.

He's looking for a restaurant/brewery referral, do we need to know what intersection he's staying to help out?

Each area is dense enough and their trip is short enough that depending on where they are I'd recommend different things. If they're in the highlands I'd recommend the LoHi spots along the highway, if they're downtown I'd say Larimer square vicinity.

If they're wanting to walk places since driving, and even more so parking, in both places can be a huge *****, that's over a 30 minute difference.

Ironically your comment was significantly less helpful than mine that you seem to take issue with.
NColoradoAG
11:13p, 5/9/24
Forgot to say to OP to hit Sassafras for breakfast. Get the Bison Hash, Pigs in a Blanket, Green Tomato Benedict, and Deviled Eggs. The duck fat biscuits and gravy is solid too
Counterpoint
5:04a, 5/10/24
In reply to The Pilot
The Pilot said:

Txmoe said:

bam02 said:

Pro tip for Red Rocks. Don't park in the parking lots. Park along the road facing down. This makes the exit much easier. Be warned though, it can be a hike to/from the venue.

Sssshhhh!
LRHF
10:51p, 5/11/24
In reply to NColoradoAG
NColoradoAG said:

Wife and I always enjoy walking up to My Brothers Bar for a burger after a hockey or baseball game. We'll often go on to Little Man Ice Cream afterwards.

Great bar! Loved there for a couple
Of years and good friend who grew up here loved this place!
ladyfriend
11:25a
In reply to The Pilot
My family of 4 will be in CO for a week in October. We are staying in Estes Park for 5 days and Denver for 2. I originally was looking for things to do for the 2 days we are in Denver, but, there is a concert at Red Rock on an evening when we are still in Estes. The artist isn't one that I HAVE to see (really bummed we are too early for Imagine Dragons), it would be more for the experience of the venue and my boys (11 & 7) first concert experience.

My question-is the venue itself worth the drive, cost of the tickets and schedule modification re: hiking?
NColoradoAG
2:10p
In reply to ladyfriend
ladyfriend said:

My family of 4 will be in CO for a week in October. We are staying in Estes Park for 5 days and Denver for 2. I originally was looking for things to do for the 2 days we are in Denver, but, there is a concert at Red Rock on an evening when we are still in Estes. The artist isn't one that I HAVE to see (really bummed we are too early for Imagine Dragons), it would be more for the experience of the venue and my boys (11 & 7) first concert experience.

My question-is the venue itself worth the drive, cost of the tickets and schedule modification re: hiking?

Depends on when you'd be back in Colorado to see a different show, but I'd say yes, Red Rocks is worth it
Counterpoint
4:04p
In reply to ladyfriend
ladyfriend said:

Red Rocks is definitely DEFINITELY worth it, but don't force it with an artist that y'all aren't into. It might not be the same experience if the kids are bored. Also are you going to do any climbing at Estes? There is a great via ferrata there that we just climbed, but I don't know the minimum age requirements.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings